Behn Basketball Camp Newton Newton, Massachusetts
Behn Basketball Camp returns to Mt. Ida in Newton for another session of camp in 2014! This unique 3-day, 2-night camp is a great way to start the summer, and the perfect introduction to a sleep away camp for a first time camper. The intense curriculum includes plenty of basketball, but also a chance to talk about how to prioritize athletics, academics, and social life. Our coaches will even provide insight on recruiting and choosing the right college!
The largest and most successful basketball camp in New England, Behn Basketball has grown throughout Eastern Massachusetts for the past 18 years with a reputation of excellent teaching focused on fundamentals. Our experienced coaches create an intense yet comfortable atmosphere that encourages learning and development. The goal is for each player to leave camp with improved skills, increased confidence, and acquired knowledge on how to practice and succeed. And of course we have fun too!
- Emphasis on fundamentals
- Focus on proper shooting technique
- Learning team play on both offense and defense
- Appreciation of competition and good sportsmanship
- Official Behn Camp T-shirt
- Movie night
- Making friends and having fun!
Behn Coaching Staff
Since 1993 Sarah has grown Behn Basketball to be the largest and most successful camp in New England. Over the past 18 years she has cultivated an expert group of directors, some of which have been with her for all 18 years, to help teach her curriculum at our various locations. Her passion for teaching, attention to fundamentals, and love of basketball has helped develop a unique group of loyal coaches who return to camp summer after summer.Read Full Bio
Sarah’s basketball career began at Foxboro High School where she was an All-America selection in basketball and soccer. Sarah set the Massachusetts state scoring record in 1989 with 2,562 points for her High School career. She was named the Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior.
At Boston College, Sarah was the first BC woman in school history to surpass the 2,000 point plateau. She set a Big East freshman scoring record (428 points) and was the league's "Rookie of the Year." Sarah was the first Boston College player ever to earn All-America honors as a freshman. She is the only four-time All-America basketball player in Boston College history.
As a senior at BC, Sarah became women's basketball all-time leading scorer in the Big East, men or women with 2,523 career points.
Sarah was inducted into the Boston College Athletic Hall of Fame in 1998.
In 2003, Boston College retired Sarah's jersey, the only female athlete at Boston College to have her jersey retired. Sarah has been Named One of Top Ten Athletes in BC History by Sports Illustrated.
Prior to starting camp, Sarah played professional basketball in Ettlebruck, Luxembourg, where she was the leading scorer in central Europe with 35 points per game.
Currently, Sarah is in her first year as Head Women’s Basketball Coach for the University of Massachusetts in Lowell.
Check-in: Friday afternoon between 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Any outstanding medical forms are due at this time.
Dismissal: Camp ends at 11:00 AM Sunday morning. There is a brief awards ceremony beginning around 10:30.
Dorms and roommates: The dorm is mostly one room doubles. Each camper will receive her own room key. We do our best to accommodate all roommate requests. A recreation room is located on the lower floor, including a lounge is available with a television and comfortable seating.
Meals: Three square meals are provided daily.
Camp Store: We sell beverages, snacks, and pizza as a late night snack. We also sell Behn Camp clothing.
Gender: Girls only.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:15-7:30 Wake-Up
- 7:30-9:15 Breakfast
- 9:15-10:00 Stretching/Warm Up
- 10:00-10:30 BEEF and Lay-up instruction, Shooting Drills with Groups, Catch - Square - Pivot, V Cut - Backdoor Cut
- 10:30-10:30 1 on 1 Tournament
- 11:00-12:00 Extra Help or Director's Choice
- 12:00-1:15 Lunch
- 1:15-2:00 Team Games
- 2:00-2:15 Free Throws and Importance Discussion
- 2:15-2:30 15 Free Throw Stretch
- 2:30-2:45 Position Play - Offense Only, Point Guards (1 man) - Dribble Pen, Jab Step, Dribble and Kick, Guard Arm
- 2:45-3:00 Shell Drill: Individual Defense and Team Defense / Rebounding
- 3:00-3:15 4 vs. 4 Defensive Transition, Circle the Wagon (Boxing Out Drill)
- 3:15-4:00 3 on 3 or 2 on 2 Tourney
- 4:00-5:00 Classroom - Goal Setting (Short and Long Term), Nutrition & Strength and Conditioning, College Recruitment and Selection Process
- 5:00-6:15 Dinner
- 6:15-6:30 Team Practice
- 6:30-7:15 Games
- 7:15-7:45 Hot Shot Tourney
- 7:45-8:15 Great American Shootout
- 8:15-9:00 Clean-Up
- 9:00-10:45 Dinner and Movie in Auditorium
- 10:45 Bed Check and Lights Out