Nike Basketball Camp - Winchester Sportsplex Winchester, Virginia
US Sports and Nike Basketball Camps are excited to once again present, in conjunction with Frederick County Parks and Recreation, another summer of Nike Basketball Camp at the Winchester Sportsplex. Two weeks of camp will run July 22-26 (boys only) and August 5-9 (girls only). Keith Byrd of Next Level Stars Basketball will direct both weeks of camp once again this summer
Winchester Sportsplex offers a high quality facility to get better this summer. We are excited to bring Nike Basketball to Frederick County for a week of camp run by two high level basketball coaches in Coach Keith Byrd and Coach Awvee Storey. Camp will focus on fundamentals, skill development and learning to play the right way. We look forward to seeing you this summer!
- Superior instruction from accomplished players and coaches
- Daily emphasis on fundamentals, position training, drills and scrimmages
- In-depth discussions of basketball principles, style of play and player tendencies
- Official NIKE Camp T-shirt
- NIKE Camp Yearbook and other great NIKE prizes
Coach Byrd has been involved in athletics for over 25 years; his first introduction to basketball began in a pee-wee basketball league in Silver Spring, Maryland. He played competitively for 20 years, as a player at Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, captain at Paint Branch High School and Montgomery College. While at Montgomery College Coach Byrd, was the captain of his team and lead his team to be crowned NJCAA regional champions, and continued to the NJCAA championship in Loch Sheldrake, New York. After college, he played semi-professionally for the National Rookie League. After playing semi-professionally, Coach Byrd started coaching High School basketball at his alma mater Paint Branch High School and later Springbrook High School.Read Full Bio
“When I look back at my college basketball career I owe a lot of people thanks for my development as a player. One of those individuals is Keith Byrd. Coach Byrd was my summer league basketball coach every summer between 1997- 1999…his burning passion and intensity for the game was always visible, Coach Byrd always strived for excellence from all his players and he pushed me to do more than even I thought I could do. He still provides support and guidance to me in other areas of my life. Not only did I become a better player because of Coach Byrd, I became a better person, and for that I am grateful” says Seye Aluko, Esq (former college player at Howard University and now lawyer at a Washington DC law firm).
Most recently he took on a very different challenge, coaching little league basketball in Savage, Maryland. This was one of the most rewarding experiences for him as he watched young boys with limited basketball skills develop into competitive athletes; the team went from losing there first three games to winning every game for the rest of regular season, only losing in the last round of the playoffs. Watching young people develop strong determination and character is the highlight of Coach Byrd’s coaching career.
Currently, he is in his first year as the Boys JV Basketball at a rebuilding program. He has coached players on all levels of the game, little league, high school, college and professional players but his passion and ability to develop athletes from start to completion is his greatest attribute to getting participants to the Next Level.
Camp Code: BKXDWN
Complete Skills: This program is intended to help players develop athletically. The individual camp is a great opportunity for young basketball players looking to develop and refine their fundamental basketball skills. This program also includes a curriculum for intermediate/ advanced players looking to enhance their skill set at the post, wing, or guard position. Emphasis is placed on fundamental development, shooting, offensive moves, defense, rebounding, team play, and more.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 9:00 Day Campers arrive; stretching and conditioning
- 9:15 Instructional stations - Skill development
- 10:30 Lecture/guest speaker
- 11:00 Full court games/contests/shooting drills
- 12:00 Lunch, rest - extra shooting
- 1:00 Team practice
- 1:45 Instructional stations - Skill development
- 2:20 Games
- 3:00 Lecture, group discussion
Camp will also include:
* In-depth discussions of NBA principles, drills, situations and language
* Narratives from players that have made it to the highest level of professional basketball.
* Time management planning - how to balance academics and sports
* Nutritional planning - how to eat right to perform at your best
* Attitude - what seperates an average player from a good player, a good player to a great player
* Camp will end at 12 on Friday, with a closing ceremony at 11:30 AM.Read camper reviews