Nike Golf Camps, University of San Diego - International Programs San Diego, California
Join us this summer at the Nike Golf Schools and Junior Camps at the University of San Diego. You'll improve your Golf game, meet new friends from all over the world and with our new Sport and Language programs, you'll improve your English too!
International campers will find that our Nike Golf camp at the University of San Diego offers campers everything they need for a great golf experience.The USD campus, built in Spanish Renaissance style, is situated on 180 acres of mesa overlooking San Diego’s beautiful Mission Bay. It has been rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. The USD campus provides a safe, secure environment, and add an exciting cultural dimension to the total camp experience. Residence campers really absorb the college environment, since they are staying in the college dorms and dining at the Student Life Pavilion, where campers havea access to healthy food from all around the globe.
The Nike Golf program covers every aspect of the game, focusing on course management, shot/club selection, strategy, rules and etiquette. Golf campers are treated to a true San Diego golf tour with practice and play taking place at some of San Diego's best courses including Encinitas Ranch Golf Course, Riverwalk Golf Club, Barona Creek Golf Club, Maderas Golf Club, Morgan Run Club and Resort and The Crossings at Carlsbad. In addition to great golf and a terrific location, we are now offering campers the option to add a week of language classes prior to starting their Nike Golf Camp.
Four Nike Golf and language sessions will be offered this summer beginning July 7th and running through August 2nd (please see bottom of page for session start dates). The language program preceedes the golf camp program by one week, allowing campers the ability to immerse themselves in language clases and fun afternoon activities prior to their Nike Golf Camp. In this way, campers get the best of language and sport instruction without sacrificing one for the other.
The week-long language programs run Monday through Friday offering age-approppriate language sessions from 9am to 12:45pm each day. In the afternoon during the language week, campers participate in fun activities and excursions which further enable them to practice and improve their English. On the weekends, campers participate in excursions in San Diego and nearby locations. Golf campers will start their Nike Golf camp on the Sunday after their language week. The second and third weeks of your golf camp program are all about golf!
This is a new summer program offered with The English Language Academy at USD, who offer language prepartion programs for international students. These two or three week camp programs provides the perfect balance of language prep, activities and a terrific sport training program all at the same location.
International campers looking for individual Golf (sport only) sessions can click here. International campers may combine individual camp sessions together with weekend stay overs to create multi-week camp experiences.
- Small group instruction with low student/teacher ratio with Hall of Fame college coach Mike Wydra and his experienced staff
- Daily on-course play with the staff (9-18 holes) focusing on course management, shot/club selection, strategy, rules and etiquette.
- Nike amenity package including a Nike hat, one dozen Nike golf balls, a camp workbook, Nike bag tag and other great prizes.
- Wide variety of courses including one 18 hole outing at a premier San Diego golf course
- Video analysis and take-home DVD
- Exciting evening activities are planned for each night and include a camp barbecue, pizza night, Boomer’s Family Fun Center, bowling night, movie night and a San Diego Padres baseball game.
- Optional language program designed to develop your English speaking skills and your confidence prior to camp!
A Tour of San Diego!
The San Diego/La Jolla camp is unique in that participants get to play a wide variety of courses during their stay. Practice and play takes place at several fantastic San Diego area golf courses. In addition, each week of camp includes a 18 hole outing at one of these fantastic golf facilities in San Diego: Encinitas Ranch Golf Course, Riverwalk Golf Club, Barona Creek Golf Club, Maderas Golf Club, Morgan Run Club and Resort and The Crossings at Carlsbad.
The University of San Diego is a beautiful campus, which offers incredible views of beautiful San Diego Bay. Campers stay at the USD student residences which are modern, clean and comfortable apartments. Each has round the-clock-security, access to vending machines and laundry facilities. While on campus, student have access to many other amentities such as:
- A cafeteria featuring healthy food choice from around the globe
- An Olympic sized swimming pool
- Access to tennis, volleyball and basketball courts
- Quick bus rides to shopping malls, movie theatres and beaches
Mike Wydra has one of the most accomplished golf resumes in all of San Diego County. Now in his 33rd year of coaching at UCSD, Wydra’s program has produced over 30 professionals and 54 All-Americans.Read Full Bio
Coach Wydra has led UCSD to 13 top five finishes and 3 runner-up finishes in NCAA Championship competition and his team claimed the 1993 NCAA National Championship. He has also been the Western States NCAA Coach of the Year for 11 consecutive years. In 2011, Wydra was inducted into the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) Hall of Fame.
In addition to his coaching accomplishments, Coach Wydra has had great success as a player. He was the youngest ever Torrey Pines Club Champion, the San Diego County Open Champion (1980), a five-time winner on the Golden State Mini-Tour and a PGA Tour School Finalist (1980).
Mike Wydra certainly brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Nike Golf Camp at Torrey Pines which is why it is one of the most popular camps in the nation.
Mike Wydra is joined by college assistant coaches and former/current college players who serve as camp counselors.
Overview of Golf Program
This year we are offering five weeks of consecutive overnight sessions for campers 10-18.
- Comprehensive/All Skills Camp: (COED: Ages 10 – 18 years old) Classes are programmed for campers of all ages. Each student will be evaluated and placed in a group of similar ability, and age. Beginners will be playing golf in just a few days; and intermediates will improve all aspects of their game.
International campers not interested in a combined sport+language program may combine these weekly sessions together to create the perfect multi-week program. Weekend stayover are available on every session except the first and last one. You can register for these sessions here.
Overview of Sports+ Language Program
Prior to starting your Nike Golf Camp, you can take a week of language classes designed to get you speaking English more comfortably and confidently. Four Sport + Language sessions are offered, starting with July 7th.
- It is open to kids aged 13-17.
- All session costs include language instruction and material fees, afternoon activities during language week, Nike golf camp instruction and course fees, housing and meals, weekend stayover costs and weekend activities during the camp program.
- The language program will be held at the ELA Language Academy located on the USD campus. Campers will reside on the University of San Diego campus in modern, clean, and comfortable apartment-style residence halls.
ELA Language Academy offers international campers the opportunity to attend morning English language lessons in a small class size setting (no more than 15 students per class). An assessment is administered on the day of arrival placing students in the appropriate language level. Lessons, taught by instructors who have a Master's degree, are rigorous and relevant to a teenage population. Integrating all four skills, instructors present lessons across a broad range of topics, including music, movies, literature, games, and contemporary culture. Often lessons involved interacting with students from other cultures, as well as community field trips designed to practice newly-acquired language skills.
Campers may sign up for afternoon excursions, in which students visit famous San Diego and Los Angeles sites after morning language classes. Trips in years past include the whale show at Sea World, touring Beverly Hills, and shopping the discount malls near the Mexican border.
How does the program work?
- Week One/Language: Campers arrive on Sunday and are greeted at the airport and brought to campus, just a short distance from the San Diego Airport. Campers will settle in at the dorms and rest after their flights. On Monday morning, language staff will test campers in their English proficiency and put them in the proper program for the week. All programs are designed to develop campers English speaking skills and confidence. Afternoon and evening activities are planned each day.
Week Two/Sports: The second week begins with Nike Golf Camp check-in from 1:00-2:30pm. Campers will be evaluated by camp staff and put into skill groups based on age and ability. Each session will include 30 hours of Nike golf instruction and tournament play and conclude with a graduation ceremony on the last day (Friday) at 1:00pm. Campers choosing to stay for multiple sessions will be supervised by camp staff over the weekend and will start their next Nike Camp session on Sunday. Campers participating in language classes, begin their Nike Sport Camp on the Sunday following the conclusion of their language program. A sample daily schedule of Nike Golf Camp follows below.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00 am Wake-up, Breakfast
- 8:00 am Camp meeting at practice facility, skills demonstrations from staff focusing on key elements of the swing for that day
- 8:30 am - Noon Instruction- campers rotate stations working on putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play and the full swing
- Noon Lunch, Relaxation
- 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Course play-staff to provide on course instruction on course management, club and shot selection
- 6:00 pm Dinner, Free time
- 8:00 pm Evening activity
- 10:00 pm Lights out
- Language program: Sunday check-in (or Saturday if pre-arranged), Students will be met at the airport and brought to the USD campus where they will stay and participate in the language camp.
- Nike Golf check-in: Sunday between 1:00-2:30pm on the USD campus. (This check-in occurs on the Sunday of the second week of camp.)
- Campers arriving at NIKE Golf Camp following the ELA language week will be escorted to the campus check-in.
- Graduation: 1:00pm on Friday (last day of camp) on campus. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend!
- Check-out: Immediately following graduation at 1:30-2:00pm.
Dorms: Campers live on-campus in nearby USD dorms during both the language session and the Nike Golf Camp. Campers stay 4 to a suite and are assigned to rooms by age, sex, and roommate requests.
Spending Money: We recommend campers bring $50-100 per week.
Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every Nike Golf Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
All-Inclusive Tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities.
- All international campers will be met at San Diego International Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: San Deigo International Airport (SAN)
- Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to the first day of our first session (June 23rd for Sport-only campers or July 7th for Sport+Language campers), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 2 (the final day of our last session).