Sports & Activities
An extensive sports program gives everyone a chance to participate in athletic activities. As a result of our sports scheduling, campers are able to choose what sports they want to participate in and to what degree. A camper has the ability to chose which sport they would like to participate in for each period of the day. If that camper wants to focus on 1 sport, they can do so and play a total of 8 and 1/2 hours each day of that particular sport. The amount of one-on-one training that a camper receives at WSC is unparallel in the camping world. The coaching staff will help you improve your skills in four different sports:
From beginner to varsity player, the WSC basketball program provides excellent opportunities for player development and participation. Our expert coaches, both male and female varsity college players, provide an opportunity for all campers to develop their individual skills, as well as their team play.
The golf program (only offered for overnight campers) consists of instruction at the WSC campus, at our own driving nets, as well as off campus excursions to the local driving range and regular play at area golf courses. Campers receive focused instruction based on their skill level and individual strengths and weaknesses, which builds each camper's skill set. The golf program utilizes the same philosophy that is present throughout the camp, positive reinforcement coaching and skill level training. From beginner to expert, golf is a game that always allows room for improvement. At WSC we will eliminate the frustration and make your game enjoyable and fun.
The WSC golf program is designed into 3 designations of participation:
1. Productive Golf Academy (WSC – PGA) - Golf play and instruction at the golf course each day, Monday through Friday (weather permitting). As well as, unlimited trips to the driving range and optional practice during league time. The WSC – PGA program includes instruction on the course one day per week, with former All – America golfer (2nd in U.S.A.) and owner of World Sports Camp, Terry G. P. Shand. Golf is the camper’s primary sport and is their first choice of sport participation.
Additional fee of $150.00 per week
2. Casual Participants - This designation is for campers who want to play golf occasionally, attend the driving range up to 5 times per week and request the golf course at least 1 time per week. Golf is not their primary sport; however, they enjoy participating regularly.
Additional fee of$75.00 per week
3. Occasional Participants - This designation is for campers who just want to play golf once in a while. Golf is not a sport that the camper looks to play often while attending WSC. These campers will have the opportunity to go to the driving range up to 5 times per week, however, will not be able to go to the golf course.
Additional fee of$35.00 per week
The number one sport played in the world is soccer. Since, 34% of campers are from outside of the United States of America, soccer is a very popular sport at WSC. From beginners to experts, coaches at WSC will help each player improve their individual and team skills. Four periods per day with a professional coach, assisted by players from clubs and teams all over the world will provide the best environment for campers to develop the love of the game.
The WSC Tennis program is extremely strong. Players of all levels are challenged to improve to the best of their abilities. The coaching staff encourages all campers, beginners through advanced, to participate in the tennis program and improve their game. The highly qualified coaching staff will determine the skill level of a player and make it their personal duty, to make that level increase by the time the camper leaves.
World Sports Camp teaches sports based on ability level in addition to age and grade. If a camper is 10 years old, and has the ability level of a 14 year old, that camper will play with the 14 year olds who have equal ability. The only time that this will not happen is when the camper will be put in harms way because of the physical difference in size of the other campers. In addition, if a camper is 14 years old and has the ability level of a 10 year old, we will NEVER embarrass a camper, therefore, we will put that camper with other 14 year olds who are also beginners.
Additional Activities at World Sports Camp
World Sports Camp offers a variety of activities for all campers, in addition to our sports programming. One day per Session, (Sessions are designated in two week intervals, ie. Session 1 would be weeks 1 and 2 of our schedule, Session 2 would be weeks 3 and 4 and Session 3 would be weeks 5 and 6) campers at WSC enjoy an all day off-campus activity. These activities include trips to parks, Basketball Hall of Fame, amusement parks and an optional white water rafting trip (for an additional fee of $135.00). SPECIAL NOTE ON ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES: If you choose to attend two weeks that are in different Sessions, ie. Weeks 2 and 3, there is a possibility that you could miss that Session's activity!
WSC is not a uniform camp, but there are a few clothing requirements that need to be met for your child(s) safety.
ALL campers are REQUIRED to have:
2 WSC Yellow Tee's logo'd (See Below)
3 WSC Lime Green Tee's logo'd (See Below)
The 5 Tee's logo'd (Yellow and Lime Green) should be purchased at time of registration.
World Sports Camp - Day Camp
The WSC Day Camp allows children ages 6 – 16 from Western Massachusetts, to experience the amazing coaching and learning philosophies that the Shand family has taught to thousands of children for over 30 years. At WSC a safe and positive learning style with experienced coaches allows all campers to improve at their desired rate. Coaches at WSC promote self-esteem, fair play and teamwork, in order to obtain common goals both on and off the playing field.
At WSC campers enjoy a 4:1 camper to coach ratio at all times. Campers have the benefit of learning not only from the coaches, but from children who hail from over 86 different countries around the world. By exposing your child to the many different cultures and languages that are present at WSC, you will be amazed at the level of appreciation and respect that your child will obtain in the short amount of time that he/she attends.
Each camper has the opportunity to choose what sport they would like to participate in, each period of the day. By empowering campers to choose which sport they would like to play, the level of participation and desire to learn is increased. World Sports Camp offers participation in: Basketball, Soccer and Tennis for our day campers. We also have Swimming offered twice during the day, but it is purely recreational.
Quick Facts for Day Camp:
1. Lunch is included in the tuition.
2. Daily Canteen is included in the tuition.
3. Sports bag included in the tuition.
4. During Week 2 and Week 4 of camp, a trip to Six Flags is included in the tuition. There will be no alternative activities available during these days.
5. Pick up and Drop off is located at 80 Park Street, Easthampton, MA 01027 at The Williston Northampton School's Athletic Center. (In the lobby of the gymnasium.)
6. Clothing requirement: 5 World Sports Camp t-shirts are included in the tuition. These t-shirts will be handed out on the first day of camp. Each camper will receive 5 WSC t-shirts no matter how many weeks they choose to attend.
7. A World Sports Camp "Gold Medal" included in the tuition.
8. Water bottle included in the tuition.
What to wear to World Sports Camp:
Please wear shorts and a WSC t-shirt to camp.
What to bring to World Sports Camp:
1. Bathing Suit / Towel
2. Cleats and shin guards (if participating in soccer, not required)
3. Tennis Racquet (if participating in tennis, not required)
4. WSC provides snacks after lunch for children in the Canteen. If you would like your child to have a snack before lunch, please provide your own snacks. As well, we do not allow snacks with ANY NUT products.
The 125 acre campus is just the right size, large enough to seem expansive and small enough so that you never feel lost. Views of nearby Mount Tom, a small footbridge crossing the pond, green lawns at sunset; all these details add to the pleasure of daily living and practicing sports at WSC.
1 indoor six-lane Swimming Pool with Diving Well
1 all-weather track
2 Squash Courts
1 fitness center with strength training equipment
2 All weather Turf Fields
9 soccer fields
Indoor soccer facility
2 Indoor golf nets
3 area golf courses and 2 driving ranges
12 tennis courts
2 full size, wood basketball courts with 10 hoops
Beautiful dormitory living
Award winning dining room facility
Computer room for campers to connect with family
The dorms are very comfortable. Wall-to-wall carpet, rooms with lots of space for all of your clothing and equipment. Each lounge has a television, refrigerator and microwave accessible to the campers.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:00 a.m. Breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. Day Campers Arrive
- 9:00 a.m. 1st period: Choose your sport or ESL* classes for foreign campers
- 11:30 a.m. 2nd period: Choose your sport or POOL time
- 12:30 p.m. Squad Time
- 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 2:00 p.m. Squad Time
- 2:30 p.m. 3rd period: Choose your sport
- 4:30 p.m. 4th period: Choose your sport or POOL time
- 5:30 p.m. Squad Time/ Day Camper Depart
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner
- 7:00 p.m. League (Basketball, Soccer or Tennis) or Evening Activity
- 8:30 p.m. Back to dormitories to shower up
- 9:30 p.m. Get ready for bed (depending on age)