Nike Rugby Camps, New York Hempstead, New York
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Join current Team USA rugby player Mike Petri at Hofstra University this summer for our second consecutive Nike Rugby Camp in New York. Improve your game through elite training from Coach Petri and USA team member Brian Doyle. Campers will reside in dorms on campus and all rugby activities will take place at Hofstra's outstanding athletic facilities.
The Nike Rugby Camp in New York offers overnight and day camp options. The overnight camp includes key fundamental drills, fun match play, meals, housing and evening activities. The day camp includes all rugby instruction, match play and lunch.
- Instruction from nationally recognized TEAM USA coaches and players on how to be successful on and off the rugby field
- Daily instruction and touch-rugby match simulation
- Skill-based group structuring to maximize the advantage for players of all ages and abilities
- Small Group sizes: approximately an 8:1 player to staff ratio
- A healthy and positive learning environment to help every player get better
- Opportunity to experience a college environment
- Individualized player assessments
- Team discounts available
- Motivational speeches from current and former USA Rugby team players
- Rugby themed evening activities including video analysis, nutrition seminars, training tips and much more
- The annual ELITE Olympics: a night of non-rugby games that culminates in the annual ELITE Olympic Champion!
Mike Petri is one of the USA’s most accomplished rugby players. Petri started playing rugby at Xavier High School in New York City and was soon named captain of the Under 19 USA Rugby Team. Mike attended Penn State University on a rugby scholarship. At Penn State Mike was a four time Collegiate All American. He has been a member of the USA Men’s Rugby Team since 2006 and participated in the 2007 and 2011 Rugby World Cup.Read Full Bio
Mike played professional rugby in the United Kingdom for the Sale Sharks and the Newport Gwent Dragons. Mike continues to play rugby for the USA team and is currently a teacher and Head Coach of the rugby team at Xavier high school.
Brian Doyle is currently the starting lock for the USA Rugby team. Doyle has been a regular in the USA lineup since 2008. Playing domestically for the New York Athletic Club, Doyle led the team to a National Championship in 2008 and 2010. Doyle played professional rugby in 2009 for Northern Suburbs in Sydney Australia.
Doyle is dedicated to the growth of Rugby in America. While not playing Doyle spends his free time mentoring young players in New York City through the prestigious Play Rugby USA program. He graduated from the University of Rhode Island in 2006 with honors.
Team USA Players
Each Elite Camp will have current and former members of USA Rugby on staff
Nike Rugby Camps offer players the individualized coaching needed to improve their skill-set and gain a deeper understanding of the game. Our curriculum is the perfect blend of expert coaching, constructive drills, and fun evening activities. Coach Mike Petri will creatively teach players how to capitalize on their individual strengths and become a more dynamic player.
The overnight camp includes key fundamental drills, team strategies, match play, meals housing and evening activities. The day camp (9:00am - 4:00pm) includes all rugby instruction and lunch. Day campers will be dropped off and picked up at the end of each day at the Hofstra Campus on Long Island.
Check-In and Check-Out
Check-in will take place between 8:00am and 9:00am on the first day of camp. Check-out will take place at 1:00pm on the last day of camp.
Overnight Campers: We offer a $30 per player discount for five or more team members from the same team/club. Day Campers: $20 per player discount for five or more team members from the same team/club. Please call 800-645-3226 and register by phone to receive the discount.
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff live in the dormitories with the campers and participate in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
Nike Rugby Camps does not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. The packet we send to registered campers in the spring offers suggestions on shuttle services for each specific camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8:30am - 11:00am Training Session: catch and pass technique, defensive structure, tackle technique
- 11:00am - 11:45am Touch Rugby/Scrimmage
- Noon - 1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm Training Session: position specific training; forwards and backs
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm Touch Rugby/Scrimmage
- 5:00pm - 6:30pm Dinner
- 7:00pm - 8:30pm Exercise and Science Training
- 9:00pm - 10:00pm Film Session, Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights Out