Nike California Soccer Academy & Camps at UC Berkeley Berkeley, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Nike Soccer Camps welcomes the addition of the California Soccer Academy and Camps at UC Berkeley. Directed by Men’s Head Coach Kevin Grimes, we offer two weeks of outstanding Premier ID and Junior ID Academy soccer training and two sessions of day camp training on the beautiful campus of the University of California, Berkeley.
We believe in providing the opportunity for players to reach their greatest potential by challenging them technically and tactically, in a fun and encouraging environment. The California Soccer Academy and Camps’ curriculum has been developed to offer modern and successful training methods used throughout the United States and Europe. We share training techniques and methods that helped the Cal men's soccer team win the Pac-12 Championship in 2006, 2007 & 2010! Cal continues to be one of the nation’s top programs for developing talent to play professionally. In 2013, Cal had 18 players in the pro ranks including 13 in the MLS and three in Europe. In the 2014 MLS Superdraft, Cal had 3 players selected in the first round, including the 2nd & 3rd picks overall. The three first round selections were the most of any university in the country!
- Nike Camp T-shirt
- Premier ID Academy specifically designed for players ages 14-18
- Junior ID Academy specifically designed for players 10-14
- Full Day options for players ages 8-13
- Half Day options for players ages 5-10
- Players grouped and taught based on age and ability
- Team play, skill development, games and tournaments
- Specialized goalkeeping training
The University of California was chartered in 1868 and its flagship was established at Berkeley, on San Francisco Bay. Today the world's premier public university, UC Berkeley occupies a 1,232 acre campus with a beautiful 178-acre central core.
Boys attending the Premier ID and Junior ID Academy play on newly renovated Memorial Stadium and on Witter Field, nestled in Strawberry Canyon. Full Day and Half Day Session I campers train on the Underhill Field. Full Day and Half Day Session II camper train on Memorial Field.Meet your coaching staff
- 15th season, Cal head coach
- Pac-10 Coach of the Year, '02, '05, '06, '07, '10
- 2005, 2010 & 2013 NCAA Tournament Elite 8
- NCAA postseason appearance ten out of last thirteen years ('01- '08, '10, '13)
- Division I, Far West Region Coach of the Year, '02, '10, '13
- 20 players drafted in MLS in the last five years
- 15 players currently playing in MLS from CAL
- Three years, assistant coach at SMU
- Eight years professional soccer experience
- Previous member US National Team
- Two-time, First Team NSCAA All-American
- NSCAA Advanced National License
- USSF National "A" Coaching License
Leonard Griffin, Assistant Coach
- Assistant Coach since May of 2013
- Three years as an Assistant Coach at St. Marys
- Three years as an Assistant Coach at Cal State San Bernadino
- All American Defender at UCLA
- Won the 2002 NCAA College Cup with the Bruins
- Played professionally for the Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, LA Galaxy and Portland Timbers.
- Volunteer Assistant Coach since early 2013
- Played professionally at FSV 63 Luckenwalde (2010-11) in Germany and Bayamon FC in Puerto Rico (2008-09).
- Co-captain at Cal and finished his career as the team's second-leading scorer (15 points) and goalscorer (5) of the season
- Drafted in the 2008 MLS Supplemental Draft by Chivas USA in the second round.
- All-Pac-10 first-team selection
Henry Foulk, Assisstant Coach, Goalkeeper Coach
- 14th season, Cal goalkeeper coach
- Five former Cal goalkeepers currently playing professionally
- Cal men's soccer team captain and three year starter
- Former professional player
- Three time All-Pac-10 conference selection
Premier ID Academy
Session 1: July 7-10
Session 2: July 21-24
Specifically designed to meet the demands of the US Soccer Academy, Super “Y” League and Club Soccer schedules. Suggested for advanced, select players who aspire to play in college and beyond. Outstanding collegiate and professional coaches from the United States assist Coach Grimes in this camp. Players are grouped and taught based on age and ability throughout the camp. In addition, specific Goalkeeper Training is offered to all interested campers. Field players and goalkeepers alike have a fun and challenging week! A special classroom session is presented to help players prepare themselves for the college recruiting process.
Coaches who attended in 2013 - Session I - UC Berkeley, St. Mary's, Chico State, Menlo College, Holy Names University, Cal Baptist and Butte Junior College.
Coaches who attended in 2013 - Session II - UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Holy Names University, Steven's Institute of Technology, William Jessup University and Butte Junior College.
Junior ID Academy
Session 1: July 7-10
Session 2: July 21-24
Our traditional California Soccer Advanced Camp that has been in place for the past ten years! Designed for advanced level individual players and teams. We offer a rigorous training regime designed to identify, evaluate, and prepare players seeking to compete at the elite level in a fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Technical development with the ball is a major focus of the camp to ensure all of our players leave a the end of the week as a more refined and developed player. Specific Goalkeeper Training is offered to all interested players.
Full Day Camp
Half Day Camp
Session 1: June 16-20
Session 2: July 14-18
Our camp is designed for beginner through advanced level soccer players. Individuals are placed in groups with participants of similar age, size and ability to ensure a beneficial training environment. We offer special goalkeeper sessions within each camp. Come join Coach Grimes and the CAL staff for lots of soccer and great fun! Daily pick-up: Full Day Campers: 4pm. Half Day Campers: noon each day. Full day campers, camp ends at 12 noon on Friday. For an additional $30 (collected at the time of registration), campers can stay from 12:00pm-4:00pm on Friday. To add this afternoon session, call our offices at 800-645-3226.
Camp staff includes college coaches, current and former CAL players, All-Americans, professional players, and top coaches from around the region. Some of the outstanding staff who may participate in one or more of our camps include:
Joe Clarke, Head Coach - Washington University (St. Louis)
USSF "A" License
Former professional player (NASL & MISL)
All-American defender at St. Louis University
Former head coach, St. Louis University
Larry Nees, Head Coach - Butte Junior College Men's Soccer
Former SMU assistant coach, nine years
Former Chico St. assistant coach, five years
Former professional player (NASL)
USSF "A" License
Devin Rensing, Head Coach - Stevens Institute of Technology Former assistant coach - Colgate University
Former assistant coach - Central Arkansas University
Two year starter & captain at Eastern Illinois University
Played youth soccer in St. Louis with Busch Soccer Club
Deejae Johnson, Director of Soccer at University High School, San Francisco
Currently coaching club soccer at Marin FC
Four year starter at University of Vermont
USSF "A" License
Sample Daily Schedule
- For Premier ID and Junior ID Academy
- 7:15am Wake up
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8:30am Depart for training with coaches, commuters meet on field
- 9am-11am Training
- 11:30pm Lunch
- 12:30pm Rest
- 1:30pm Depart for training with coaches
- 2:00pm-3:30pm Training
- 5:00pm Dinner
- 6:30pm Depart for training with coaches
- 6:45pm-8:30pm Evening games
- 8:30pm Resident players return to dorm, commuter players depart from the fields
- 9:30pm Snacks, optional pizza
- 10:30pm Return to rooms
- 11:00pm Lights out
2014 Camp Information
Players are grouped by age and ability
Facility: Turf and grass fields
Premier and Junior ID Academy: On Monday, July 7th and Monday, July 21st between 12-1:30pm at the Foothill Residence Hall.
Full Day & Half Day Camp: On Monday, June 16th and Monday, July 14th between 8:30am-9:00am at Maxwell Family Field.
Premier and Junior ID Academy: On Thursday, June 10th and Thursday, June 24th, Awards Presentation at Witter Field at 11:15am. Parents are invited! Check out is at 12:00pm from the dorms.
Full Day and Half Day Camp: Noon on Friday June 20th and Friday, July 18th at Maxwell Family Field.
Foothill Residence Hall, 2700 Hearst Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720.
Campers stay 2 per room. Roommates are guaranteed if requested 14 days prior to camp
Bathrooms: Shared on floor.
Nike Soccer Camps does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into the Oakland International Airport or San Francisco International and schedule a taxi or shuttle from the airport to camp. We recommend BayPorter or Super Shuttle for transportation from the airport to camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
We recommend extra spending money for optional pizza at night after the evening training session. An assigned coaching staff member helps order the pizza for the campers. No other food is ordered. There are multiple vending and soft drink machines in the dorm complex for additional snacks if needed.
ATC are on staff and they stay on campus in the dorms along with our coaching staff members.Read camper reviews