Nike Tennis Camp at Oakwood University Huntsville, Alabama
Nike Tennis Camps is excited to be offering two weeks of junior tennis camp at Oakwood University for Summer 2014! We are offering Full Day and Half Day programs for players ages 7-17 of all ability levels. Our summer camps include a combination of technical tennis instruction and drilling from a top notch coaching staff as well as supervised match play.
Under the guidance of Oakwood University's Director of Tennis, Doug Goulding, and Director of The International Tennis and Life Academy, Tim Keller, campers will learn the latest tennis techniques, tactics and strategies through on-court instruction, competitive drills and match play. Players will hit tons of balls and participate in friendly competition with their peers. Join the fun and get better this summer!
- Daily instruction from Oakwood University's Director of Tennis, Doug Goulding, and Director of The International Tennis and Life Academy, Tim Keller
- 5-6 hours of tennis daily with a 6:1 student to teacher ratio
- Every camper will receive a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
- Gain self-confidence through tennis success
Campers will utilize the six beautiful, lighted tennis courts on the north end of Oakwood University's campus, located next to the football and softball field. The gym is just one building away and all of the athletic facilities are centrally located for easy access.Meet your coaching staff
The camp is co-directed by Doug Goulding, one of Northern Alabama and the Tennessee Valley's top tennis coaches. Doug is the founder of the International Tennis and Life Academy located on the campus of Oakwood University. He is a USPTR certified teaching professional and a world class player and coach.Read Full Bio
Doug has over 25 years of coaching experience as well as experience as a camp owner and director. He is a former NCAA DIvision 1 Men's and Women's Head Tennis Coach at Fairleigh Dickinson University, head coach at Frisch Academy, former Davis Cup candidate for Jamaica and former number 1 varsity collegiate player at Christopher Newport University.
He served as a Regional Director for the United States Tennis Association Eastern Section Southern Region where he was honored in 2003 as one of 17 national Tennis Heroes who made significant contribution to growing tennis at the grassroots.
Doug is the founder of the International Tennis and Life Academy located on the campus of Oakwood University in Huntsville Alabama.
Doug brings a great deal of knowledge, passion and experience as a director and coach and he is excited about making every improve while having fun.
Doug currently serves as director of tennis and tennis instructor in the Phys Ed department at Oakwood University.
Doug, Tim and their carefully selected trained staff of tennis instructors are confident that each camper will have a fun and a positive tennis experience they will never forget.
Tim serves as the director of The International Tennis and Life Academy, a tennis and academic enrichment program on the campus of Oakwood University in Huntsville, Alabama. He also teaches in the Physical Education department at Oakwood University.Read Full Bio
Tennis has been a passion for Tim as a competitive player and coach since he was introduced to the game at 8 years old. After traveling around the country playing the national jr. circuit he earned a tennis scholarship to NCAA Division I college Miami of Ohio.
Tim is certified as a U.S.P.T.A. professional and USTA Sports Science Level 1. As a coach he has worked in a variety of tennis settings with players of all abilities and ages. In Columbus and Toledo, Ohio he served as a coach in elite jr. development programs. He also coached the University of Toledo Womens’ Division I team while completing his Masters degree in Exercise Science with a specialization in kinesiology. In 2006 he moved out East and spent a season at the Quogue Field Club in Long Island. He also taught two years in Greenwich, Connecticu at the Ivan Lendl Grand Slam Tennis Center. For the last 3 years he has been teaching at Courtsense in Tenafly which is a U.S.T.A. Regional Training Center.
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXDOS)
This year we are offering two weeks of junior tennis camp for players of all skills levels, ages 7-17. During week one, we offer a Half Day (8:00-11:00am). During week 2, campers can choose between Full Day (8:00am-3:00pm) or Half Day (8:00am-11:00am) camp options. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
- High School Program: In addition to the “All Skills” program offered each week, we are offering a high school program during the second week of camp geared towards players ages 13-17 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team. This program is also suitable for players looking to improve their match results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- 10 and Under Tennis: We also offer a “10 and Under Tennis” (Half Day only; ages 7-10) program, featuring the USTA’s successful new teaching format. This is an exciting new way kids 10 and under are learning to play tennis as well as compete. The courts are smaller and balls are low-compression so they are easier to hit, allowing kids to get to the ball and develop optimal swing patterns. It all makes it easy and fun for them to hit, play and score from the start, while developing skills that will last a lifetime. Please note: This program is optional and younger campers may opt to play regular tennis on the full courts.
Check-in and Check-out times:
Check-in: Full and Half Day campers: 7:45m on Monday at the Natatorium Building next to the gymnasium. Look for signs to check in.
Check-out: Half Day Campers: 11:00am on Friday at the tennis courts.
Full Day campers: 3:00pm on Friday at the tennis courts.
• Full Day Camp runs 8:00am to 3:00pm (Monday-Friday).
• Half Day camp runs 8:00am-11:00am (Monday-Friday)
• The lunch hour is fully supervised, but lunch is NOT provided. Full day campers should bring their own lunch daily. Half Day campers leave before lunch.
Campers will utilize the six beautiful, lighted tennis courts on the north end of Oakwood University's campus next to the football and softball field. The gym is just one building away and all of the athletic facilities are centrally located for easy access.
In case of rain while camp is in session we have access to the gym where we can have tennis related activities. Should a large portion of the days session get rain out, we will provide a make up day if we think it is necessary.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:00am - 8:30am Warm-Up/Intro/Agilities/Stretching
- 8:30am - 11:00am Stroke Fundamentals and/or situational point development rotations
- 11:00am Half Day campers depart
- 11:00am - 12:00pm Supervised lunch
- 12:00pm 3:00pm Singles/Doubles Match Play with Coaching
- 3:00pm Full Day campers depart