Nike Tennis Camp at Southeastern Louisiana University Hammond, Louisiana
Nike Tennis Camps welcomes a new overnight summer camp at Southeastern Louisiana University this summer. This junior tennis camp is directed by former ATP Tour player Abrie du Plooy; former top 20 ATP player Chris Haggard and semi-finalist of the Australian Open in doubles will join the staff for the week as well! They are offering one session of overnight and day camp this summer.
Nike Tennis Camp at Southeastern Louisiana University will host one week of Overnight and Day camp for players of all abilitiy levels (ages 9-18). The camp will also cater to top junior level players through the High Performance program. This youth tennis camp consists of a core tennis program that includes technical, tactical, physical, and mental aspects of tennis for various skill levels, including specific training for those tournament level players. Mornings focus on the technique while afternoons are geared towards match-play situations, giving each camper a positive learning environment to enhance their skills and enjoy the game.
- Daily Instruction from former ATP Tour player Abrie du Plooy and his experienced staff
- 5-6 hours of tennis daily with a 6:1 student to teacher ratio
- Davis Cup style team competition each week
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp t-shirt
Campers will utilize the 14 newly resurfaced outdoor courts on campus. Six of the courts have state of the art lights for evening play.Meet your coaching staff
Abrie du Plooy
- Played on the ATP tour
- 19 Years of teaching experience
- USPTR Certified
- Currently in the top 15 ranking in the USA Men’s 35
- Currently coaching top ranked players in the nation
- Worked with ATP and WTA players such as Chanelle Scheepers( currently top 200 on the WTA tour, Wesley Whitehouse( top 200 player) and top US Juniors that are currently playing division 1 college tennis.
- Was ranked in the top 15 in the US in the Men’s 35
- Promoter of 15 professional events( $50,000, $25,000 and $15,000 events for men and women)
- Won the USPTR International event in 2001 in the men’s 30′s
- Played at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville- the team ranked # 2 in college tennis
- Graduated with a degree in Sport Management
- Played in the South African junior team
- Speak Afrikaans and English
- Former top 19 ATP player in doubles, Top 210 in singles
- Played all the Grand Slams
- Semi-finalist in the Australian Open
- All American at the University of Tennessee with Chris Woodruff
- South African Davis Cup player
- Current ATP coach
- Former top 20 player in England
- Played NIAI at Xavier University at the #1 spot
- Current Head Pro for Abrie du Plooy tennis Academy
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXRSL)
This year we are offering one week of Overnight and Day (9:00am-4:00pm) camp for kids ages 9-18 of all skill levels. Simultaneously, we will offer a high performance training program geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
- High performance training will include video analysis, matches against the pros, point oriented drills, fitness and footwork drills as well as match play critique from professional coaches.
Check-in and Check-out
• Check-In: Sunday at 1:30pm for all campers
• Check-Out: Friday at 11:30am
Day Camp Program Schedule & Information
• Day Camp runs 9:00am to 4:00pm (Monday through Thursday, check in on Sunday is at 1:30pm).
• Meals: Lunch is provided for all campers.
• Campers will need to bring swimwear as they will get the opportunity to use the pool located right next to the courts.
Campers will utilize the 14 newly resurfaced outdoor courts on campus. Six of the courts have state of the art lights for evening play. Campers will also have access to the Activity Center with a track and full work-out facility where the coaches will demonstrate the proper training programs for various ages and levels.
Overnight campers will stay in the dorms (name TBD) on campus. Campers can request roommates, otherwise they will be placed in rooms based on gender and age.
All meals are provided for overnight campers starting with dinner on check-in day. Lunch is provided for Day campers Mon-Thurs.
Overnight campers will participate in a variety of fun evening activities which may include pizza, game and/or movie nights, talent shows, games and free play at courts, and a music/acting evening.
Designated Airport: New Orleans International Airport
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into New Orleans International Airport and schedule a shuttle from the airport to camp. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there may be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 9:00am-9:25am Stretching, Camp Meeting at Courts, Warm Up
- 9:25am-10:45am Tennis Instruction and Drills
- 10:45am-11:00am Break
- 11:00am- 12:00 noon Stroke Fundamentals and/or situational point development rotations
- Noon-1:00pm Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:00pm- 2:45pm Tennis Program- Singles/Doubles Match Play with Coaching
- 2:45pm- 4:00pm Optional Tennis, Swimming
- 4:00pm Day Campers Depart
- 4:00pm- 6:00pm Rest, Shower, Dinner
- 6:00pm -8:00pm Evening Activity
- 8:15pm Overnight Campers to Rooms
- 9:15pm Lights Out