Ocean Reef Club Nike Tennis Camp Key Largo, Florida
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
US Sports is proud to announce the Ocean Reef Club continuing to host Nike Tennis Camp for summer 2014. This summer camp for kids will combine technical instruction and drilling from a top notch coaching staff, supervised match play, and a variety of evening social activities.
The Ocean Reef Club is located on the northernmost island in the Florida Keys, Key Largo. It is less than one hour’s drive from Miami International Airport. Surrounded by water on three sides, it is a gated, private club community. The setting is pristine yet filled with activities on the courts, the greens and in the water. A snapshot into our unique way of life is available through the Nike Tennis Camp. The goal of The Ocean Reef Club Nike Tennis Camp is to offer a high level tennis experience combined with fun off-court activities and for every camper to leave with lasting memories and friendships.
- Daily on-court instruction from Coach Frank Polito and his experienced staff
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction including drilling and match play with a 6:1 student to teacher ratio
- Every camper will receive a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
- Safe, healthy, fun environment
- Gain self-confidence through tennis success
Campers will utilize the Ocean Reef Club's tennis facility which includes 9 Har Tru Clay Courts, 6 of which are lit for evening play.
Frank Polito, head Boys and Girls tennis coach at Hawken School in Ohio, directs the camp. Polito was associate women's tennis coach at University of Georgia for two years and the assistant women's tennis coach for four seasons before that.Read Full Bio
During his tenure with the Bulldogs, Georgia compiled a 86-19 record, winning two Southeastern Conference titles and three SEC Tournament crowns. Polito's recruiting efforts for the 2011 season has been recognized as Georgia has the top incoming class according to Tennis Recruiting Network. Georgia has had three top ten finishes in the final national rankings. In 2008, he was named the Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association South Region Assistant Coach of the Year.
In his first season at Georgia, he helped the 2007 Bulldogs to an ITA final ranking of No. 4, SEC regular season and tournament titles and an NCAA Quarterfinal appearance. The Bulldogs compiled a 24-2 final record. In 2008, Georgia went 22-5, won the SEC Tournament again and advanced to the NCAA Round of 16. The Bulldogs ended the year ranked eighth nationally with a 22-5 mark. in 2009, Georgia advanced to the program's 10th NCAA Final Four, the finals of the National Team Indoors, won another SEC title and a third straight SEC Tournament crown. The Bulldogs went 27-3 and had an ITA final ranking of No. 3.
Prior to coming to Georgia, he spent two years as an assistant at the University of Kansas. A native of Lorain, Ohio, Polito's coaching and recruiting efforts helped the Jayhawks make a dramatic improvement on and off the court in 2006. In his final year with the Jayhawks, Kansas posted a 14-11 mark and finished the year ranked No. 59 by the ITA. Also, the squad earned ITA All-Academic Team honors with a 3.49 grade point average, which was the best of any Kansas team in the spring. In the previous two seasons, Kansas had combined to win only 11 matches.
Polito is a 1990 graduate of Eastern Michigan where he was a four-year letterman on the tennis team including serving as a captain his senior year. He earned a bachelor's degree in telecommunications and film. Polito began his coaching career at his alma mater.
In 2001, Polito was hired as an assistant coach at Ohio State, and in 2002, he was honored as the ITA Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year.
Polito is a member of the ITA, United States Tennis Association (USTA) and the United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA).
• 1990-95, Head Coach, Eastern Michigan
• 1995, Head Coach, Sienna Heights
• 1996-97, Asst. & Interim Head Coach, Kansas
• 1997-99, Head Coach, Akron
• 1999-2001, Head Coach, Louisiana-Monroe
• 2001-03, Asst. Coach, Ohio State
• 2004-2006, Asst. Coach, Kansas
• 2006-2009, Asst. Coach, Univ. of Georgia
• 2010-2012, Associate Head Coach, Univ. of Georgia
• 2012- 2014, Assistant Coach at Cleveland State
• 2014- Present, Head Boys and Girls coach at Hawken School
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXRFD)
This year we are offering two weeks of overnight and day (9:00am-4:00pm) camp for kids ages 7-18 of all skill levels. Lunch is included for day campers.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
• Overnight Campers: Sunday from 1:00-2:00pm at Ocean Reef Club’s - Lawn & Tennis Club courts
• Day Campers: Sunday from 1:30-2:00pm at Ocean Reef Club’s - Lawn & Tennis Club courts
• Campers should come dressed to play as we will head straight to the courts after check-in
• Day Campers will depart that afternoon at 4:00pm
• Graduation: 11:00am Friday at the courts. Parents encouraged to attend.
• Check-out: Friday at 11:30am for all campers
Daily Program Schedule
• Day Campers should be dropped off everyday (except check-in on Sunday) by 8:50am at Ocean Reef Club’s - Lawn & Tennis Club courts .
• Pick-up time for Day Campers is at 4:00pm Sunday through Thursday.
• All campers will depart at 11:30am on Friday.
• Meals: Lunch is included for all Day campers.
Camper will play on 9 Har Tru Clay Courts, 6 of which are lit for evening play.
Overnight campers we will reside in Ocean Reef Club's modern dormitory facility, located just a few minutes walk from the courts. Campers will stay in quad-style accommodations, enjoying their own private bedroom, with two bathroom facilities and one shared living room each.
Supervised evening activities may include beach fun, pool time, aquatic equipment, beach bonfire, private theater movie night, high-tech games room facility, fitness center, a camp dance and more!
Multiple week campers that elect to stay on site over the weekend will participate in organized on and off site activities. Campers are supervised the entire weekend and all meals and housing are provided. Cost: $200/night, $400/weekend.
Designated Airport: Miami International Airport
Nike Tennis Camps does not provide transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Miami International Airport. For ground transportation, please contact the Ocean Reef Club, Transportation Office – 305.367.2611.
If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there may be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Wake Up, Breakfast
- 9:00am Day Campers Arrive
- 9:15am Tennis Instruction
- 10:30am Break
- 10:45am Tennis Instruction and Drills
- Noon Lunch, Rest, Free Time
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 4:00pm Day Campers Depart
- 4:15pm Groups or Private Extra Help, Optional Tennis
- 6:00pm Dinner
- 7:15pm Evening Activity
- 10:15pm Lights Out