Soka University Nike Tennis Camp Aliso Viejo, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Nike Tennis Camps is proud to offer our 3rd year of camp at Soka University! The campus is an idyllic site for improving tennis skills and making new friends. Campers will work hard and have a lot of fun!
Located in Aliso Viejo, in the heart of Orange County 15 minutes from Laguna Beach, this is a hotbed for aspiring young tennis players. Our camps combine technical instruction and drilling from a top notch coaching staff, supervised match play, and a variety of evening social activities. Our goal is to give players the opportunity to hit thousands of balls, improve their technique, and be challenged by some of the best players in their peer group. Come join the fun this summer and get better!
- Daily instruction from tennis pro, Ross Duncan, and his experienced staff
- 1 point tournament, drills, matches, conditioning, team and individual awards/awards cermony at end of camp
- Experience campus life and create lasting friendships
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
Soka University is located in Orange County, 15 minutes from Laguna Beach. The beautiful campus offers six tennis courts.Meet your coaching staff
Ross Duncan is in his eleventh year as camp director at Nike Tennis Camps. He was the #1 ranked junior player in South Africa. Duncan coached on the professional WTA tour (pro level), at the University of Oregon, and is currently developing juniors in Southern California. He is a also a USPTA Certified Tennis Professional.Read Full Bio
Ross Duncan was the #1 junior tennis player from South Africa before coming to the U.S. on a full ride tennis scholarship to Pepperdine University. After studying sports management and graduating, he played professional tennis earning ATP points in both singles and doubles. Ross then went on to coach as the Interim Head Coach at UC Santa Barbara and the Associate Head Coach at the University of Oregon. In addition, he also coached professionally on the WTA tour (top 30 player in the world).
Currently Ross is ranked #1 in the nation in the Men’s 35 Singles Division and has back to back National Hard Court Championships in singles. He represented Team USA as the #1 singles player in the World Championship. Ross is currently ranked #9 in the world. In addition, Ross owns Peak Performance Tennis and is the director of the Tennis Division for Norton Sports Management. As a Tennis Agent he is responsible for managing,coaching, and directing the professional tennis career of its clients. Ross has been the director of Nike tennis camp programs in both California and Oregon during the last ten years.
Christine Duncan is the camp administrator who is on site during all camp sessions. She is a school psychologist and is fully trained/certified in CPR and other emergency situations.
Another one of our counselors is Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXRSK)
We are offering one week of day camp (9:00am-5:00pm) and one week of overnight and day camp (9:00am-5:00pm) for campers ages 8-18 of all ability levels. (Kids ages 6-8 may be accepted into camp on occassion. Please call 1-800-NIKE-CAMP to inquire.)
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
Tournament Training and High School Programs:
In addition to the general camp sessions, this year we are offering tournament training and high school sessions during all weeks of camp. Make sure to note that you would like to participate in these programs when you register.
- The tournament training program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- The high school program is provided for players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
JULY 14th SESSION (2014):
All Campers check-in on Monday at 9:00am at the tennis courts. There will be an orientation meeting during check-in. It will include camp schedule/details and a camp photo. Parents are welcome to attend! Camp will start immediately after orientation.
• An Awards Ceremony for all campers is on Friday at 11:00am by the dorms. Parents are encouraged to attend!
• Check-out is immediately following the awards ceremony at the dorms.
Daily Camper Schedule
• Camp runs from 9:00-5:00pm, Mon-Thursday and from 9:00am-11:30am on Friday (see above.)
JULY 20th SESSION (2014):
• Overnight Campers check in at 5:00-6:00pm on Sunday at the dorms. There will be an orientation meeting from 6:00pm-7:00pm. It will include camp schedule/details and tour. Parents are welcome to attend!
• Day Campers check in at 9:00am on Monday at the tennis courts.
Graduation: All campers have a graduation at 11:00am on Friday. Parents invited to attend! Check-out is immediately following the graduation.
Day Camper Schedule & Information
• Day camp runs from 9:00-5:00pm (except last day, see above).
• A more complete schedule will be available at check-in.
• Meals: Day Campers can either purchase a lunch card for $32 or they can bring their own lunch each day.
Campers play on Soka University's 6 outdoor courts.
Campers stay 2 per room in the dorms on campus. Some triples may be available, but not guaranteed. Roommates may be requested, otherwise they are assigned by age and gender. The Dorms have A/C (2014)!
Evening activities may include pizza party, talent show, camp dance, optional swimming, and other surprise activities.
Weekend Stayovers: Weekend stayovers are not available at this location.
Designated Airport: John Wayne (Santa Ana)
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into John Wayne (Santa Ana) Airport and schedule a shuttle/bus from the airport to camp. To arrange shuttle bus transfer from the airport to the university please call Primetime shuttle at 800 733-8267 or go online at http://Primetimeshuttle.com/
If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there may be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Wake Up, Breakfast
- 9:00am Day Campers Arrive
- 9:15am Tennis Instruction
- 10:30am Break
- 10:45am Tennis Instruction and Drills
- Noon Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 5:00pm Day Campers Depart