UC Santa Cruz Nike Tennis Camp - International Programs Santa Cruz, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
This summer, you can choose the ultimate combination of sports and language at the UC Santa Cruz NIKE Tennis Camp. By offering the perfect mix of language and tennis, homestay experience, and on-campus living plus fun evening and weekend activities, there’s no better way to spend a summer!
UC Santa Cruz has been a favorite Nike Tennis Camp venue for over 20 years. In 2014, we are offering seven sessions of Nike Tennis camp along with two, four-or-five-week combined language and tennis programs in partnership with ELS Language schools. These exciting combined programs guarantee that you will come home a better tennis player, with more confidence in both speaking and understanding English, and you will meet some incredible American friends that you will remember for a lifetime!
Starting with the June 29th session, campers can combine a three week semi-intensive ELS language program with their Nike Tennis Camp experience. Two start dates are offered, June 29 and July 6th. (See session dates below.)
Campers will stay with an English speaking host family (pre-approved by ELS) during their language weeks. Language classes will be held in the morning (8:30am-12:00 pm) Monday through Friday at the ELS Center in Santa Cruz. After instruction, campers can choose to participate in ELS afternoon activities organized by ELS or return to their host family after classes each day.
At the conclusion of their language program (July 18, or July 25), campers will be transferred to the UC Santa Cruz Nike Tennis Camp located nearby. Once there, campers will live and stay on the UC Santa Cruz campus with other American tennis players. All Nike Tennis camps consist of a core tennis program that includes technical, tactical, physical, and mental aspects of tennis taught by a top notch coaching staff.
- Mornings focus on the technique while afternoons are geared towards match-play situations.
- The evenings are free to enjoy both on and off campus activities including a trip to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and free time with their new American friends. Campers are supervised by live-in coaches and directors during both on- and off-campus activities.
Campers will be able to enjoy the campus's outstanding athletic facilities, which include playing fields, a swimming pool, gymnasium and recreation center.
International campers seeking a SPORT only multi-week camp should combine our individual sessions which start on June 22 with a weekend stay over to create a perfect multi-week camp program. To view our Nike Tennis Camp only sessions, click here.
Dartfish video analysis offered at this camp! See details tab for more info.
- Daily on-court instruction from renowned UCSC Slugs Men's Tennis coach, Bob Hansen, and his exceptional staff
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Language Program operated by ELS/Santa Cruz
- Gain self-confidence through tennis success and developed English proficiency
- Davis Cup-style team competition each week
- Fun off-court evening activities including a sports night with a climbing wall, Casino Night, a trip to the Beach and Boardwalk and concludes with a camp dance on the last night
- Every camper will receive a NIKE Tennis Camp t-shirt
- Homestay experience with American Family
The University of California, Santa Cruz is an easy drive from San Francisco, San Jose, or the Monterey Peninsula (and about 30-40 minutes from the San Jose Airport). The campus, defined by rolling meadows and towering redwoods, is a perfect environment for a NIKE Tennis Camp. The campus offers 12 ocean view outdoor courts, playing fields, gymnasium and an Olympic-sized pool.
Santa Cruz is renowned as the birthplace of surfing on the US mainland and is also home to the West Coast's only seaside amusement park, the famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
ELS/Santa Cruz is located in the downtown area of the coastal City of Santa Cruz. - 1101 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. ELS students have access to the libraries and fabulous recreational facilities of the University of California and Santa Cruz. College tours can be arranged with written requests. Transportation between the ELS Center and the NIKE Tennis Camp is provided for international campers.Meet your coaching staff
Bob Hansen, famous men’s coach and creator of the Santa Cruz “Slugs” tennis program is a seven-time NCAA championship winner and returns for his 32nd year as director of the camp. Hansen is now the Head Men’s tennis coach at Middlebury College, after coaching the UCSC Slugs for over 30 years with many national team titles.Read Full Bio
Hansen is now in his second season as the head coach of the Middlebury men's tennis team. He came to Middlebury from the University of California Santa Cruz, where he has served as the head men’s coach for the past 30 years.
The creator of the UCSC tennis program, Hansen is regarded as one of the top coaches in the country. Hansen led the team to seven NCAA Championships (1989, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009), appearing in the finals 13 of the last 24 years. Hansen’s players have won 10 NCAA doubles titles and five NCAA singles titles. Under coach Hansen’s direction, the UCSC tennis program produced 117 All-Americans.
Hansen has been named the ITA (Intercollegiate Tennis Association) Coach of the Year four times and in 2000 was honored as the ITA Coach of the Decade for the 1990s. During that time span, his teams were undefeated against Division III opponents in the regular season going with a 73-0 mark. Hansen has served as an executive board member of the ITA as well as its Division III representative. He also served as the chair of the NCAA Division III Tennis Committee as well as a member of the ITA Rules Committee.
As a player, Hansen was Northern California’s Open Player of the Year and was ranked in the top eight for five straight years during the late 1970s. He received an ATP world ranking as well as much valuable coaching experience while playing the international circuit before coming to UC Santa Cruz. He registered wins over many top 100 players including top-10 players Brad Gilbert and Paul McNamee. He won the USTA 40 National Grass Court Championships held in Santa Barbara.
During the summers Hansen directed the NIKE Santa Cruz Tennis Camps where he was a pioneer in the development of the tournament training program for ranked juniors.
Hansen is a 1975 graduate of San Jose State University, where he earned a degree in physical education. He later returned to his alma mater and received a master’s degree in the same subject in 1980.
During the summers he directs the NIKE Santa Cruz Tennis Camps where he was a pioneer in the development of the tournament training program for ranked juniors.
Erin Ness is in her sixth year as the UCSC Slug Women's Head Tennis Coach and has led the team to consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.Read Full Bio
Under Ness's lead, the Slugs finished the 2007-2008 season ranked #22 in the nation and #4 in the West Region. She produced an All-American with her top player finishing with a #20 national ranking in singles. The team became an ITA All-Academic Team and had two ITA Scholar-Athletes. In her first year, she led the team to the second round of the NCAA tournament, which has happened only one other time in the program's history. UCSC finished the 2006-2007 season ranked #24 in the nation, #5 in the west region, and had one player become an ITA Scholar-Athlete. During the summer she is an Assistant Director for the Nike Tennis Camps at UCSC.
Erin graduated in June 2006 with a B.A. in psychology from UCSC and played all four years for the Slugs. She was an assistant coach her junior year after ending her season early because of a shoulder injury, and team captain for her last two years. During her last two years on the team, she led the Slugs to consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament.
Bryce Parmelly is entering his 11th season affiliated with the UCSC Men’s Tennis program. Parmelly enters his second year as UCSC head men's tennis coach.
He graduated in 2005 with a degree in Psychology before starting his coaching career under legendary coach Bob Hansen. Given his time spent here as a player, coach, and 11 summers of involvement with the Nike Jr. Tennis Camp Santa Cruz, Bryce’s influence over the Slug culture has been nothing short of profound as he steps into his first season as the Head Men’s Tennis Coach. Bryce’s mission is clear, “I believe whole-heartedly in the Slug Tennis program and the significant impact it has on people. This is why I have chosen to take over as the Head Men’s Tennis Coach here at UC Santa Cruz. I want to continue contributing to Slug Tennis and to share all that Bob and Slug Tennis have taught me. The journey to build a championship team year in and year out will continue to drive this program.”
Robert Nagel - ELS Center Director and International Student Advisor
My name is Robert Nagel and I am the Center Director and International Student Advisor of ELS Santa Cruz. I graduated from UC Davis with a B.A. degree in English and a minor in East Asian Studies: Japan. After I graduated, I spent seven years teaching in Japan at various companies like Toshiba Corporation and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (Subaru). I also worked in the Silicon Valley for a year as a Content Editor for an entertainment website. I have been with ELS Language centers since 2005 and look forward to meeting and welcoming all of the students that choose to come to our school and hope to get them on the right track towards entering college and fulfilling their future dreams and aspirations!
Language Program Highlights - designed for students aged 14-18
- The language program will be instructed by ELS/Santa Cruz, a leader in international education. The ELS Language Center is located in downtown Santa Cruz about a 10 minute drive from UC Santa Cruz campus. To view the center location and learn more about the program, please visit the ELS Santa Cruz webpage.
- The language program consists of 15 sessions per week - 3 per day at 50 minutes each which run from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm daily Monday through Friday.
- Students in this program will improve all core English skills: speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. Classes are communicative in nature and offer planty of opportunities for students to practice their conversation and speaking skills using practical, real-world English. They learn to write with accuracy and effectiveness, develop strategic listening skills and improve their use of grammar.
- Class size is small - no more than 15 students per class.
- Students also have access to their state-of-the-art Language Technology Centers, where they can work on their individual language skills and objectives through technology-supported learning.
- Student will enjoy a homestay experience with an American family during the language program. After the language program, students/campers will transfer to the Nike Tennis Camp site on the UC Santa Cruz campus. They will live and stay with other American tennis players during their stay at camp. They can choose to add one or two sessions of Nike Tennis camp to their language program.
- All Sport and Language programs are inclusive of all costs including transportation to and from the airport, housing/meals during their stay in the program.
Nike Tennis Camp highlights
- The UC Santa Cruz Nike Tennis Camp offers 25-30 hours per week of specialized training sessions geared to different levels of play. In addition to our all skills program geared for developing and intermediate players, we also offer national training and high school programs. See below for more details.
- Campers live on campus in comfortable dorms (two kids to a room) located within walking distance from the courts and the dining hall.
- Three nutritious and delicious meals are served in the dining hall each day. Plenty of food options are available to suit vegetarian diets and arrangements can be made in advance to address most food allergies.
- Video taping via Dartfish is available each week. (Please see the information below for more details.)
- Evening Activities: In addition to the Davis Cup competition during the week, evenings give the campers a chance to relax and enjoy fun off-court activities like a sports night with a climbing wall, Casino Night, a trip to the Beach and Boardwalk and concludes with a camp dance on the last night.
- Spending Money: We recommend campers bring $50-100 per week.
- Courts: Campers play on 12 outdoor courts. In the event of rain, campers will watch tennis videos and do off-court conditioning.
- Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every NIKE Tennis Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps
- All-Inclusive Tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities.
2014 Nike Tennis Camp Sessions
June 22-27 (All Skills & National Training)
June 28-July 3 (All Skills & High School & National Training)
July 6-11 (All Skills & High School & National Training)
July 13-18 (All Skills & High School & National Training)
July 20-25 (All Skills & High School & National Training)
July 27-August 1 (All Skills & High School & National Training)
August 3-8 (High School Only | Ages 13-18)
The National Training program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
The High School session is provided for players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
Dartfish video analysis will be used during the camp to analyze and improve your strokes. See your strokes compared to a top playing professional! Your Dartfish Mediabook will be posted to a private player locker on Dartfish.tv and reviewed with you by the staff at camp (click here for an example). You will receive a printout showing key positions with corrective comments. The package includes:
- Stroke Analysis: your Dartfish Mediabook contains videos of your strokes, plus side-by-side comparison with a pro, along with comments.
- Pro Stroke Library: one month access to Pro Stroke Library, featuring hundreds of strokes in both real and high speed.
- Camp highlights video*: This video of camp activities and friends all set to music will be something everyone will want to have and keep forever. (*Only offered at participating locations.)
- All international campers will be met at San Jose International Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 29 (the first day of our first session), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 8 (the final day of our last session).
For a sample daily schedule of the ELS Language classes, please click here. A sample daily schedule of the UC Santa Cruz NIKE Tennis Camp follows below.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30am Stretching, Camp Meeting at courts
- 8:45am Tennis instruction
- 10:00am Break
- 10:15am Tennis instruction and Drills
- 11:45am Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 4:00pm Conclusion of Daily Tennis Program
- 4:15pm Groups or Private Extra Help, Optional Tennis, Swimming
- 5:00pm Rest, Shower, Dinner
- 7:15pm Evening Activity
- 9:30pm Campers to Rooms
- 10:15pm Lights out!
- ELS Language program begins on June 29 or July 6 - Students will be met at the airport by ELS staff and brought to host family. If an early arrival is required, there is an additional nightly fee of $125. Please indicate this on your application.
- NIKE Tennis Camp check in is on Sunday July 20 or July 27 between 12:30-2:30pm at Cowell College dorms on the UC Santa Cruz campus.
- All campers participating in the combined ELS and NIKE Tennis Camp will be provided transportation to the campus check-in, which is included in tuition.
- Check-out is on Friday afternoon at approximately 5PM. Graduation ceremony starts at 4:30 and campers may depart after this. Campers are welcome to add additional nights or weekends to their program up to August 8th. The costs for an additional night is $125/per night. Each additional weekend stay is $250 (Friday/Saturday night, departure on Sunday am.) Please note, there are no late departures allowed on the last session. All campers must depart camp by FRIDAY August 8th, 2014.
- At the conclusion of their camp program, all campers will be driven back to the airport . This transportation is included in the costs of you camp tuition.