UC Santa Cruz Nike Tennis Camp - International Programs Santa Cruz, California
This summer, you can choose the ultimate combination of sports and language at the UC Santa Cruz NIKE Tennis Camp. By offering the perfect mix of language and tennis, homestay experience, and on-campus living plus fun evening and weekend activities, there’s no better way to spend a summer!
UC Santa Cruz has been a favorite Nike Tennis Camp venue for over 20 years. This year, through a partnership with ELS Language schools, we are offering multi-week language and sport sessions just for international campers.
Starting with the June 30th session, campers can include a week of language to their overnight tennis sessions. The result is a 2-, 3-, or 4-week unforgettable camp experience guaranteed to make you a better tennis player, build your confidence in both speaking and understanding English, and meet some new American friends!
Campers will stay with an English speaking host family (pre-approved by ELS) during their language weeks. Language classes will be held in the morning (8:30am-12:00 pm) Monday through Friday at the ELS Center in Santa Cruz. After instruction, campers can choose to participate in ELS afternoon activities organized by ELS or return to their host family after classes each day.
At the conclusion of their language week, campers will check-in to the UC Santa Cruz Nike Tennis Camp. Once there, campers will live on campus with other American tennis campers. All weekly camps consist of a core tennis program that includes technical, tactical, physical, and mental aspects of tennis taught by a top notch coaching staff.
- Mornings focus on the technique while afternoons are geared towards match-play situations.
- The evenings are free to enjoy both on and off campus activities including a trip to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and free time with their new American friends. Campers are supervised by live-in coaches and directors during both on- and off-campus activities.
Campers will be able to enjoy the campus's outstanding athletic facilities, which include playing fields, a swimming pool, gymnasium and recreation center.
International campers seeking a SPORT only multi-week camp should combine our individual sessions which start on June 23rd along with weekend stay overs to create the perfect multi-week camp program. To view our individual camp sessions, click here.
Dartfish video analysis offered at this camp! See details tab for more info.
- Daily on-court instruction from renowned UCSC Slugs Men's Tennis coach, Bob Hansen, and his exceptional staff
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Language Program operated by ELS/Santa Cruz
- Gain self-confidence through tennis success and developed English proficiency
- Davis Cup-style team competition each week
- Fun off-court evening activities including a sports night with a climbing wall, Casino Night, a trip to the Beach and Boardwalk and concludes with a camp dance on the last night
- Every camper will receive a NIKE Tennis Camp t-shirt
- Homestay experience with American Family
The University of California, Santa Cruz is an easy drive from San Francisco, San Jose, or the Monterey Peninsula (and about 30-40 minutes from the San Jose Airport). The campus, defined by rolling meadows and towering redwoods, is a perfect environment for a NIKE Tennis Camp. The campus offers 12 ocean view outdoor courts, playing fields, gymnasium and an Olympic-sized pool.
Santa Cruz is renowned as the birthplace of surfing on the US mainland and is also home to the West Coast's only seaside amusement park, the famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
ELS/Santa Cruz is located in the downtown area of the coastal City of Santa Cruz. - 1101 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. ELS students have access to the libraries and fabulous recreational facilities of the University of California and Santa Cruz. College tours can be arranged with written requests. Transportation between the ELS Center and the NIKE Tennis Camp is provided for international campers.Meet your coaching staff
Bob Hansen, famous men’s coach and creator of the Santa Cruz “Slugs” tennis program is a seven-time NCAA championship winner and returns for his 32nd year as director of the camp. Hansen is now the Head Men’s tennis coach at Middlebury College, after coaching the UCSC Slugs for over 30 years with many national team titles.Read Full Bio
Hansen is now in his second season as the head coach of the Middlebury men's tennis team. He came to Middlebury from the University of California Santa Cruz, where he has served as the head men’s coach for the past 30 years.
The creator of the UCSC tennis program, Hansen is regarded as one of the top coaches in the country. Hansen led the team to seven NCAA Championships (1989, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009), appearing in the finals 13 of the last 24 years. Hansen’s players have won 10 NCAA doubles titles and five NCAA singles titles. Under coach Hansen’s direction, the UCSC tennis program produced 117 All-Americans.
Hansen has been named the ITA (Intercollegiate Tennis Association) Coach of the Year four times and in 2000 was honored as the ITA Coach of the Decade for the 1990s. During that time span, his teams were undefeated against Division III opponents in the regular season going with a 73-0 mark. Hansen has served as an executive board member of the ITA as well as its Division III representative. He also served as the chair of the NCAA Division III Tennis Committee as well as a member of the ITA Rules Committee.
As a player, Hansen was Northern California’s Open Player of the Year and was ranked in the top eight for five straight years during the late 1970s. He received an ATP world ranking as well as much valuable coaching experience while playing the international circuit before coming to UC Santa Cruz. He registered wins over many top 100 players including top-10 players Brad Gilbert and Paul McNamee. He won the USTA 40 National Grass Court Championships held in Santa Barbara.
During the summers Hansen directed the NIKE Santa Cruz Tennis Camps where he was a pioneer in the development of the tournament training program for ranked juniors.
Hansen is a 1975 graduate of San Jose State University, where he earned a degree in physical education. He later returned to his alma mater and received a master’s degree in the same subject in 1980.
During the summers he directs the NIKE Santa Cruz Tennis Camps where he was a pioneer in the development of the tournament training program for ranked juniors.
Erin Ness is in her sixth year as the UCSC Slug Women's Head Tennis Coach and has led the team to consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.Read Full Bio
Under Ness's lead, the Slugs finished the 2007-2008 season ranked #22 in the nation and #4 in the West Region. She produced an All-American with her top player finishing with a #20 national ranking in singles. The team became an ITA All-Academic Team and had two ITA Scholar-Athletes. In her first year, she led the team to the second round of the NCAA tournament, which has happened only one other time in the program's history. UCSC finished the 2006-2007 season ranked #24 in the nation, #5 in the west region, and had one player become an ITA Scholar-Athlete. During the summer she is an Assistant Director for the Nike Tennis Camps at UCSC.
Erin graduated in June 2006 with a B.A. in psychology from UCSC and played all four years for the Slugs. She was an assistant coach her junior year after ending her season early because of a shoulder injury, and team captain for her last two years. During her last two years on the team, she led the Slugs to consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament.
Bryce Parmelly is entering his 11th season affiliated with the UCSC Men’s Tennis program. Parmelly enters his second year as UCSC head men's tennis coach.
He graduated in 2005 with a degree in Psychology before starting his coaching career under legendary coach Bob Hansen. Given his time spent here as a player, coach, and 11 summers of involvement with the Nike Jr. Tennis Camp Santa Cruz, Bryce’s influence over the Slug culture has been nothing short of profound as he steps into his first season as the Head Men’s Tennis Coach. Bryce’s mission is clear, “I believe whole-heartedly in the Slug Tennis program and the significant impact it has on people. This is why I have chosen to take over as the Head Men’s Tennis Coach here at UC Santa Cruz. I want to continue contributing to Slug Tennis and to share all that Bob and Slug Tennis have taught me. The journey to build a championship team year in and year out will continue to drive this program.”
Robert Nagel - ELS Center Director and International Student Advisor
My name is Robert Nagel and I am the Center Director and International Student Advisor of ELS Santa Cruz. I graduated from UC Davis with a B.A. degree in English and a minor in East Asian Studies: Japan. After I graduated, I spent seven years teaching in Japan at various companies like Toshiba Corporation and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (Subaru). I also worked in the Silicon Valley for a year as a Content Editor for an entertainment website. I have been with ELS Language centers since 2005 and look forward to meeting and welcoming all of the students that choose to come to our school and hope to get them on the right track towards entering college and fulfilling their future dreams and aspirations!
Overview of Sport + Language Program
This year, we are offering four weeks of NIKE Tennis Camp (plus a High School training session) with the option to add a one or two week language program prior to your NIKE Tennis camp program beginning with the June 30th session. The language program will be instructed by ELS/Santa Cruz which is located in downtown Santa Cruz about a 10 minute drive from UC Santa Cruz campus. The language and sport program is designed for kids aged 14-18 of all abilities. Please click here to see a sample daily schedule of the ELS Language classes.
The language and sports program combines a homestay experience with an American family, and language classes during the campers initial week in the US. This is followed by a one, two, or three week stay at the NIKE Tennis Camp at UC Santa Cruz. The weekend stayover fee and airport transfers are included in the multi-week programs. Upon arrival in the US, campers will be met by and live with their American homestay family for the language program. Campers will be evaluated by the ELS and NIKE Tennis staff so that their own English proficiency and (tennis) instructional needs can be addressed throughout their stay. A two, three, or four session SPORT only option is also available. (See the daily tennis schedule listed below.)
Specialized training sessions are available dependent on the week. Make sure to note that you would like to participate in these programs when you register:
- The Tournament Training program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- The High School session is provided for players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
Dartfish video analysis will be used during the camp to analyze and improve your strokes. See your strokes compared to a top playing professional! Your Dartfish Mediabook will be posted to a private player locker on Dartfish.tv and reviewed with you by the staff at camp (click here for an example). You will receive a printout showing key positions with corrective comments. The package includes:
- Stroke Analysis: your Dartfish Mediabook contains videos of your strokes, plus side-by-side comparison with a pro, along with comments.
- Pro Stroke Library: one month access to Pro Stroke Library, featuring hundreds of strokes in both real and high speed.
- Camp highlights video*: This video of camp activities and friends all set to music will be something everyone will want to have and keep forever. (*Only offered at participating locations.)
Language Course Curriculum: Instruction will be provided by ELS a leader in international education. Students in this program will improve all core English skills: speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. Classes are communicative in nature and offer planty of opportunities for speaking practice. 15 sessions per week - 3 per day at 50 minutes each (8:30 am - 12:30 pm). To view the center location and learn more about the program, please visit the ELS Santa Cruz webpage.
- ELS: Students will be met at the airport by ELS staff and/or your homestay family.
- NIKE Tennis: Sunday between 12:30-2:30pm at Cowell College dorms on the UC Santa Cruz campus.
- Campers arriving at NIKE Tennis Camp following the ELS language week will be provided transportation to the campus check-in, which is included in tuition.
- Graduation: 4:30pm at Cowell College dorms. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend!
- Check-out: Immediately following graduation at 5:15pm on the last day of the session.
Courts: Campers play on 12 outdoor courts. In the event of rain, campers will watch tennis videos and do off-court conditioning.
Dorms: Campers live on-campus in nearby dorms and the courts and dining faciltities are an easy walk. Campers stay 2 per room and are assigned by age, sex, and roommate requests.
Evening Activities: In addition to the Davis Cup competition during the week, evenings give the campers a chance to relax and enjoy fun off-court activities like a sports night with a climbing wall, Casino Night, a trip to the Beach and Boardwalk and concludes with a camp dance on the last night.
Spending Money: We recommend campers bring $50-100 per week.
Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every NIKE Tennis Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
All-Inclusive Tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities.
- All international campers will be met at San Jose International Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 30 (the first day of our first session), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 9 (the final day of our last session).
For a sample daily schedule of the ELS Language classes, please click here. A sample daily schedule of the UC Santa Cruz NIKE Tennis Camp follows below.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30am Stretching, Camp Meeting at courts
- 8:45am Tennis instruction
- 10:00am Break
- 10:15am Tennis instruction and Drills
- 11:45am Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 4:00pm Conclusion of Daily Tennis Program
- 4:15pm Groups or Private Extra Help, Optional Tennis, Swimming
- 5:00pm Rest, Shower, Dinner
- 7:15pm Evening Activity
- 9:30pm Campers to Rooms
- 10:15pm Lights out!