Coach's Corner | Lacrosse Tip
Boys Offensive Drill: Change of Direction
Drill Description: Set up 4 cones as shown in the diagram. At each cone your players will perform either a
dodge, switch, change of direction, and finish with a shot on goal.
The concept of getting time and space to shoot is all about changing direction and moving to
get your hands free to shoot at the goal. Have your players work on powering off each move
at the cone, and finish with a moving shot at the end.
• Drill Theme: Cradling and Dodging
• Field Position: Offensive
• Drill Style: Skills
• Time Needed: 15 Min
• Field Location: Attack Zone
• Skill Level: Intermediate
• Objective: This drill is excellent for teaching players to dodge, use footwork, and transition movementsinto a shot. The concept of getting time and space to get a shot off is the main theme of the Change of Direction drill.
• Skills Practiced: Dodging, conditioning, footwork, and shooting.
• Variation: Vary the locations where the cones are set up. You may also add defense at the last cone to
simulate how and where you need to create time and space for the shot. Lastly, add targets
on net or add a goalie to make your shooter work different locations on the goal.