Coach's Corner | Tennis Tip
Presented By: Head Women's Tennis Coach and Camp Director at University of North Texas
Tennis Tip: 5 Keys to Taking Your Tennis Game to the Next Level
University of North Texas Head Women’s Tennis Coach, Sujay Lama, offers a few great tips on how to take your game to the next level.
1. Mindset - have the right mind set, be willing and ready to give 100% effort. Set short term goals and long term goals, be consistent and stick to your commitments and efforts.
2. Technical Tune-up – avoid bad habits and doing the same practice routine over and over again. Have a pro or a coach assess your game and strokes. Sometimes it requires only simple adjustments.
3. New Strategies - add variety to your game and understand defensive, offensive and neutral positions. Work on court positioning for singles as well as for doubles.
4. Get Fit – hit the gym and add footwork drills to your practice regimen. Both are key to improving your endurance, agility, strength, flexibility and speed.
5. Mental Toughness - there are many books available on mental toughness. One prominent writer is Dr Jim Loehr - he has helped many top tennis pros and other top athletes. I highly recommend reading one of his numerous books on mental toughness. Yoga is also a good way to enhance the game through breathing exercises and postures.
For more great tips and instruction from Coach Lama, check out the Nike Tennis Camps at University of North Texas. With two weeks of Overnight and Day camp for boys and girls ages 9-18 of all skill levels and two weeks of Overnight and Day Camp for high school players only, there is a camp option for everyone! The camps provide first-rate instruction, match play, diversified social activities, exposure to life in a university setting – and the chance to build lasting friendships. Our goal is to give players the opportunity to hit thousands of balls, improve their technique, and be challenged by some of the best players in their peer group.
For more information, visit www.USSportsCamps.com or call 1-800-645-3226.
About US Sports Camps
US Sports Camps (USSC), headquartered in San Rafael, California, is America’s largest sports camp network and the licensed operator of NIKE Sports Camps. Founded in 1975, Nike Tennis Camps is a division of US Sports Camps. What began 37 years ago as one tennis camp is now a national network with more than 500 camps across the country in a wide variety of sports. Players, coaches, parents and others interested in Nike Tennis Camps and US Sports Camps can visit the company’s website at http://www.USSportsCamps.com.