Nike Volleyball Camps at UC Santa Cruz - Sport and Language Santa Cruz, California
This summer, you can choose the ultimate combination of sports and language at the UC Santa Cruz Nike Volleyball Camp. By offering the perfect mix of language and Volleyball, homestay experience and on-campus living plus fun evening and weekend activities, there’s no better way to spend a summer!
UC Santa Cruz, has been a favorite Nike Volleyball Camp for many years. This year, through a partnership with ELS Language schools, international campers may combine a semi-intensive ELS language program (starting June 22) with an advanced Nike Volleyball camp held at UC Santa Cruz (July 14-18). This four-week program, offers participants the opportunity to improve language skills, experience living with an American host family, train with other American girls in a high quality Nike Volleyball camp program and the chance to see the local sights around Santa Cruz and the Bay Area.
You must be at least 15 years of age to participate in this program. This advanced camp is recommended for high school varsity (entering sophomore, junior or senior year) and club players with a commitment to the sport and the ability and motivation to play at the college level. This intense and challenging program stresses position play, advanced team techniques and physical conditioning.
Campers will be able to enjoy the campus's outstanding athletic facilities, which include playing fields, a swimming pool, gymnasium and recreation center.
- Training under the country’s best coaches
- 6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Players grouped by age and ability level
- Language program operated by ELS/Santa Cruz features 15 (50 minute) language classes per week
- Gain self-confidence through improved Volleyball skills and developed English proficiency
- Homestay experience with American Family
- Personal evaluations from your coach
- Nike Volleyball camp T-shirt
The University of California, Santa Cruz is an easy drive from San Francisco, San Jose, and the Monterey Peninsula, (and about 30-40 minutes from the San Jose Airport.) The campus, defined by rolling meadows and towering redwoods, is a perfect environment for a Nike Volleyball Camp. The campus offers a perfect environment with terrific indoor gymnasium facility, 12 ocean view outdoor tennis courts, playing fields, and Olympic-sized pool.
Santa Cruz is renowned as the birthplace of surfing on the US mainland and is also home to the West Coast's only seaside amusement park, the famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
ELS/Santa Cruz is located in the downtown area of the coastal City of Santa Cruz. - 1101 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. ELS students have access to the libraries and fabulous recreational facilities of the University of California and Santa Cruz. College tours can be arranged with written requests.Meet your coaching staff
Camp Director for the following sessions:
July 7-11; July 14-18; July 21-25
In 2012 Coach Hollenbeck led the Men’s Volleyball team to a Continental Volleyball Conference Championship and a 3rd place finish at the NCAA NIII National Tournament.
Coach Hollenbeck took over the both Slug teams after two successful seasons as assistant with the Men’s program and one successful season with the Women’s program.
Todd previously coached 2 successful seasons with both the boys and girls varsity at Peninsula High School.Read Full Bio
Todd has coached at Peninsula High School for over five years as a coach, camp counselor and volunteer assistant while pursuing a career in marketing.
Originally from Rancho Palos Verdes located in southern California, Todd attended the University of the Pacific in Stockton CA. In 2007 Hollenbeck graduated from Pacific with a degree in Marketing.
Hollenbeck played division I volleyball for the Tigers as an outside hitter and middle blocker. In his senior year, he received the "Most Inspirational Player" award.
Nike Volleyball + Language Program
New this year, we are running a 4-week ELS language and Volleyball program (starting June 22nd through July 18th.) International campers aged 15 and older, can combine a 3 week semi-intensive language program along with an Advanced Nike Volleyball program held at UC Santa Cruz.. The language program will be instructed by ELS/Santa Cruz which is located in downtown Santa Cruz about a 10 minute drive from UC Santa Cruz campus. This language program combines the opportunity to improve student language skills, experience living with an American host family, high quality Nike Volleyball training, and the chance to see the local sights/beaches around the SF Bay Area.
How does the program work?
The language and sports program combines a homestay experience with an American family, and language classes during the campers initial 3 weeks in the US. This is followed by a one session stay at the Nike Volleyball Camp at UC Santa Cruz. Airport transfers are included in the multi-week sport and language programs. Upon arrival in the US, campers will be met and live with their American homestay family for the language program. Campers will be evaluated by the ELS and Nike Volleyball staff so that their own English proficiency and (volleyball) instructional needs can be addressed throughout their stay.
The ELS langauge program will begin on June 22. Campers will stay with an English speaking host family (pre-screened by ELS.) during the language weeks. Language classes will be held in the morning (8:30am-12:00 pm) Monday through Friday at the ELS Center in Santa Cruz. Students will take public transporation to and from host family home to ELS classes each day. After instruction, campers have the option of using the ELS learning labs where they can continue to work on prounciation and listening skills, hang out with their new friends from the ELS Center in the beautiful and safe downtown area or return to their host family each day. At the conclusion of their language weeks, (July 14) campers will transfer to and stay at the UC SantaCruz Nike Volleyball Camp, for the duration of one week.
Travel All international campers will be met at the San Jose Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: San Jose International (SJC)
- Early arrivals & late departures: We recommend that campers arrive on the start date of camp and depart on the last day of camp. However, if need to arrive early or leave late, please note that there is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals.
Airport pickup will be arranged through ELS at the San Jose International Airport - preferred arrival time is between 10am -1:00pm.
Campers will live on the UC Santa Cruz campus during the Volleyball program in campus dorms and eat at the nearby dining halls on campus. Campus facilities are all within walking distance.
A detailed registration package will be provided to all campers by April, 2014. This includes everything you need to know about camp, what to bring permission forms and all travel request forms. If you have any questions or specific requests, please email email@example.com.
Sample Daily Schedule
- Day 1 (Sunday June 22) Arrive in the US - pick up at San Jose International Airport
- Weeks 1-2-3 (Monday-Friday) Through July 14 Initial Language testing - ELS language program runs 8:30-12:30 M-F- Afternoon activities daily
- Weekends 1-2-3 (Saturday/Sunday) Weekend activities with Host Family
- Week 4 July 14 (Monday) 1:30 NOON - Camp check-in for Nike Volleyball Program
- Tuesday-Thursday Nike Volleyball Program - 9am -9pm daily
- Friday Graduation - end of camp session