Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camps, Duke University
Improve your game and have fun at
Nike Junior Golf Camps
Join members of the Duke University coaching staff in Durham, NC for an elite junior golf camp experience. This program is designed to help competitive golfers reach their goals by focusing on lowering scores through intense short game instruction.
Whether it be junior golf, collegiate golf, or professional golf, the best players are the ones who consistently maintain a high level of efficiency and success in all aspects of the short game. Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camps at Duke offer evaluation, analysis, instruction and training from our highly successful instructional staff. The specialized short game work our staff members have done with their students has helped to win tournaments at the highest levels. Our staff has worked with many PGA, LPGA, and European Tour professionals that have achieved a significant number of professional victories, including Major Championships, as well as NCAA Champions, and dozens of NCAA All-Americans.
- Low student to coach ratio of 4:1
- High-intensity instruction - short game testing, ball control testing, putting, chipping, and bunker training
- Discussions on long-term development, college golf preparation, goal setting, tournament preparation
- Collection of player data using force plate technology, launch monitor system, and video analysis
- Training and practice on all scoring scenarios within 125 yards
- Overnight accommodations at prestigious Washington Duke Inn and evening activities including campus tour
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Jon Whithaus
Jon is in his third season as the Assistant Women's Golf Coach at Duke University and also owns and operates Elite Level Golf. He has extensive experience working with players to help them to move from one level to the next level in their careers. He has worked in various capacities with amateur players and professional players, having experience with players who have competed on The European Tour, The LPGA Tour, The Symetra Tour, The Challenge Tour and The Sunshine Tour.View Jon Whithaus's Bio ⟩
Jon has had a very successful collegiate coaching career over the past two decades, previously as the Associate Head Men's Golf Coach at Duke University (4 years) and the Head Men's Golf Coach at Ohio Wesleyan University (12 years). His teams have reached the NCAA Championship in 16 of those years, highlighted by 9 top-10 finishes. His teams have won over 60 tournament titles throughout his career. Whithaus is the only coach in NCAA Division I to coach both a men's (2011) and women's (2016) program into the match play semifinals of the NCAA Championship.
Your desires to improve your scoring ability and consistently move up the scoreboard can be reached through the extensive analysis, evaluation, and instruction that you receive during the short game school. Not only will you truly have an understanding of your strengths and weaknesses from inside 125 yards, but you'll leave the short game school with a clear understanding how to continue your training for years to come.Show Less See More Camp Details
Our staff includes top college golf coaches in the area. In addition to putting, campers participate in wedge play, chipping, pitching, and bunker practice throughout the camp. Golf instruction takes place in the exclusive Duke University Varsity Golf practice areas, located at the Duke University Golf Club, and the participants are housed at the prestigious Washington Duke Inn.
Please refer to registration packet for check-in and check-out details.
Areas of Focus
- Measure and analyze the putting stroke of each participant on SAM
- Discuss the printout of each participant's putting stroke and compare with the best
- Discuss Find and agree on drills and exercises to improve
- Practice distance and directional control (Finding the speed of the greens and calibrating square)
- Ball control testing with focus on spin rates
- Trajectory control
- Distance control
- Distribution patterns
CHIPPING, PITCHING AND BUNKER
- Discussing the fundamentals of the short game
- Understanding and utilizing the bounce of wedges
- Finding a repeatable technique for chipping, pitching and bunker shots
- Controlling the spin of the ball
- Adjusting to different types of lies, grasses and sands
- Club selection for various situations
- Choosing your landing spots
- Reading the green, grain, slope and speed
- The mental fundamentals of scoring
- The characteristics of the best putting strokes on tour
- Effective practice habits & training to score
- The college recruiting processes & what gains the attention of college coaches
- Training & practice away from the golf course
- The different types of strokes: square to square vs rotation and arc
- Adjusting to different grasses, grain and speeds of greens
- Green reading and pre-shot routine
Sample Daily Schedule
- 9:00 - 11:45am Group stations - putting, chipping, pitching, distance wedges
- Noon Lunch at Washington Duke Inn
- 12:45 - 3:00pm Group stations - putting, pitching, bunker, green reading
- 3:00 - 3:45pm Discussions - Effective practice habits, training to score, college golf
- 3:45 - 6:00pm Group stations - chipping, pitching, distance wedges, putting
- 6:00 - 7:00pm Dinner
- 7:00 - 8:00pm Competitions/contests
- 8:00 - 9:30pm Evening activity
- 10:00pm Lights out
Duke University Golf Club
The beautiful 18-hole championship Duke University Golf Club opened in 1957 and is the only Robert Trent Jones-designed course in the region. Camp participants have access to the pristine varsity golf practice areas the Karcher Ingram Golf Center and Rod Myers Training Center. Karcher-Ingram Golf Center features coaches' offices, men's and women's locker rooms, a club-repair room, a trophy room, lounge, library/study area and a state-of-the-art indoor training and practice facility, complete with indoor putting surfaces, training aides and video analysis systems. Rod Myers Training Center includes a short-game area designed exclusively for the Duke golf teams where players can practice any shot inside 110 yards. The short-game area includes sand and grass bunkers, uneven lies, a practice fairway bunker, a target green for wedge shots, a pitching green and an expansive putting green. The chipping and putting zones feature greens with the two most common styles of grass so that the team members can prepare for the playing surface of each approaching tournament.
Karcher Ingram Golf Center
Connected to the Washington Duke Inn, the Karcher Ingram Golf Center is the exclusive Duke varsity golf facility which campers will have the priviledge of calling their "home base." It has indoor facilities making it a great backup for inclement whether and offers players and coaches with a closed environment for instruction.
Washington Duke Inn
The Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club welcomes guests to a tranquil retreat nestled on 300 acres of tall pines and hardwoods on the edge of the Duke Forest. Conveniently located on the campus of Duke University, the Inn is designed to reflect the quiet elegance of an English country estate. Spacious lodging, world-class golf and award-winning dining have made the Inn a standout destination among Duke University hotels.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Great for advanced players!
"Coach Jon, Sam & TD plus the supporting team was excellent. They were passionate in teaching and the facility was excellent. Strongly recommend for those who wants to play collegiate golf."
— Aaron B. Parent
Wish it was a longer camp, we loved it!
"I think the only thing to improve is to make it longer! So many great tips, learnings and skills taught!"
— Walker F. Camper
"This camp is best suited for competitive players looking to take their game to the next level. There is tons of golf each day, great discussion topics and excellent coaching. Very impressed with the program."
We'd like a player skills screening
"This camp was advertised for elite junior golfers but many attending were beginners. This made instruction for elite players not as frequent as hoped."
— Perry F. Parent
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.