Cal Varsity Rugby Camps
Improve Your Skills And Have Fun
at Cal Rugby Camp
Join Cal Varsity Rugby and Head Coach Jack Clark for the most recognized rugby camp in the country. Cal Rugby has one the most decorated histories in collegiate sports, including 32 National Championships.
The Cal Varsity team has a long history of success based on superb skills and a winning attitude. These are qualities we want to share with your sons during camp. Our camp mixes Cal's rich rugby heritage with an innovative staff. The camp (for athletes ages 15 - 18) emphasizes safety and fun, while we remain on the cutting edge of rugby training. Our coaches bring with them the latest rugby skills, strategy and tactics from the international and professional arena. The camp's seminars with campus professionals increase awareness regarding academics, strength and conditioning, nutrition and drug awareness. Perhaps our best endorsement is the number of young men who have returned for a second, third, even fourth summer.
The overnight camp includes all rugby instruction, meals, housing and evening activities on campus. There is a commuter option from 8:30am - 6:00pm during the overnight camp session.
For questions regarding the camp registration process, please contact Nike Rugby Camps at 1-800-645-3226. For all other camp-related questions, please contact Cal Rugby Director of Operations, Jerry Figone, at 510-643-1971.
For those campers traveling from a distance, we offer an early arrival the evening of Sunday, July 23rd. The fee is $95 and includes lodging in the Cal dorms, dinner on the 23rd, and breakfast and lunch the following day. We’ll have a staff member living in the dorms to provide supervision.
- Daily instruction and competitive activities at Witter Rugby Field
- Receive coaching from Jack Clark and Tom Billups, with Cal Rugby players serving as camp counselors
- Small group sizes: approximately an 8:1 player to staff ratio
- Opportunity to experience a college environment at UC Berkeley
- Meetings/discussions on nutrition, fitness, academics, college rugby
- A healthy and positive learning environment to help every player get better
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Jack Clark
Head Coach of the Cal Bears for 34 years, Jack Clark has lead the team to 24 National Collegiate Championships in 15s, and four National Championships in 7s.View Jack Clark's Bio ⟩
- Inducted into U.S. Hall of Fame, 2014
- Named one of Cal's 10 most influential sports figures of the 20th century by the Daily Californian
- Head Coach U.S. National Team, 1993-1999
- General Manager U.S. National Team, 1993-2003
- Cal Coach of the Year, 1995, 2000, 2002
- Head Coach Collegiate All-American Team, 1987-1992
- Former U.S. National Team Player
- Former World XV Player
- Former Cal football and rugby standout
regular_coach Tom Billups
2015 inductee into U.S. Rugby Hall of Fame, 18th season as Coach, 15th season, Cal Strength & Conditioning Coach, Head Coach, U.S. National Team (2001 - 2006), Head Coach, Collegiate...View Tom Billups's Bio ⟩
- 2015 inductee into U.S. Rugby Hall of Fame,
- 18th season as Coach,
- 15th season, Cal Strength & Conditioning Coach,
- Head Coach, U.S. National Team (2001 - 2006),
- Head Coach, Collegiate All-American Team (2001)
- 44 International appearances for the U.S. National Team, a record number of appearances
- 25 international appearances on U.S. Sevens Team
- Former professional player for London Harlequins and Pontypridd, Wales
- 4-time NCAA Division III National Champion football player
regular_coach Mike MacDonald
Fifth year as assistant coach Five-time All-American and four-time national champion at Cal, 2000 - 2004 Professional player in England with Worcester Warriors and Leeds Carnegie Leeds'...View Mike MacDonald's Bio ⟩
- Fifth year as assistant coach
- Five-time All-American and four-time national champion at Cal, 2000 - 2004
- Professional player in England with Worcester Warriors and Leeds Carnegie
- Leeds' Players Player of the Year and Supporters Player of the Year in 2008 and captain in 2009
- U.S. National Team's all-time record holder for international appearances (67), retired as player in 2014
The Cal Varsity team has a long history of success based on superb skills and a winning attitude. These are qualities we want to share with your sons during camp. Our camp mixes Cal's rich rugby heritage with an innovative staff. The camp emphasizes safety and fun, while we remain on the cutting edge of rugby training. Our coaches bring with them the latest rugby skills, strategy and tactics from the international and professional arena.Show Less See More Camp Details
Overnight Camp Check-In and Check-Out
Check-in for overnight campers is on Monday, July 24th from 11:00am - 1:00pm. Check-in for day campers is from 12:00pm - 1:00pm. Check-out for all overnight campers is on Thusday, July 27th at 1:00pm at the Clark Kerr Building on campus. Day camper check-out is at 12:30pm on final day.
Day Camper Information
Monday, July 24th - Drop-off at 12:00pm and pickup at 9:00pm
Tuesday - Wednesday, July 25th - July 26th - Drop-off at 8:30am and pickup at 6:00pm
Thursday, July 27th - Drop-off at 7:50am and pickup at 12:30pm
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff live in the dormitories with the campers and participate in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
Nike Rugby Camps does not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. The packet we send to registered campers in the spring offers suggestions on shuttle services for each specific camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the spring.
For those campers traveling from a distance, we offer an early arrival the evening of Sunday, July 23rd. The fee is $95 and includes lodging in the Cal dorms, dinner that night, and breakfast the following morning. We’ll have a staff member living in the dorms to provide supervision.
Important Note: For questions regarding the camp registration process, please contact Nike Rugby Camps at 1-800-645-3226. For all other camp-related questions, please contact Cal Rugby Director of Operations, Jerry Figone, at 510-643-1971.
Cal Varsity Rugby Camps are open to any and all entrants (must meet age and gender requirements).
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Wake up
- 8:00am Breakfast
- 9:00am Meeting
- 9:30am Clinic (Speed/Agility, Conditioning, Strength/Quickness, Kicking)
- 10:30am Training (Witter Rugby Field)
- 1:00pm Lunch
- 3:00pm Seminar (Nutrition, Fitness, Academics, Laws of the Game)
- 4:00pm Training/Golden Bear Rules (Witter Rugby Field)
- 6:30pm Dinner
- 8:00pm Technical Meeting
- 10:30pm Room Check
- 11:00pm Lights out
Witter Rugby Field
Nestled in Strawberry Canyon, Witter Rugby Field is the home of Cal varsity rugby - the most successful collegiate program in the country with 32 national collegiate championships. A $2 million facility built in 1995, Witter Rugby Field is a dedicated rugby facility with electronic scoreboard on the east and west ends, towering goalposts and permanent kicking nets.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
"Coaches and counselors were fantastic, excellent organization, loved it."
"This was a life time experience for my son thank you for giving him this opportunity."
"Great camp! An awesome opportunity for kids."
Great opportunity to get to practice with the best team&staff in the country !
— Patrick G. Camper
Amazing Camp. Keep up the great work.
— John O. Parent
Had a great time!
Our son enjoyed the camp and the new rugby friends that he made from all over the US! Thank you and Go Bears!
— Gary H. Parent
Well organized. Seminars were interesting and useful. My son was extremely happy with the camp and wants to return.
— Jane P. Parent
I'll be back!
This is the third time that I have attended the Cal Rugby camp and I look forward to it, every year. As I head into my junior year of high school, I know the skills I've learned and enhanced at the Cal Rugby will greatly assist me in my upcoming varsity and club seasons. Thanks for everything.
— Ryan F. Camper
Overall great program
A great camp, but it would be better if there were fewer participants so as to enable to more pitch space and game time.
— Grant O. Camper
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.