Nike Peak Performance Fall Swim Camp Los Angeles-Thousand Oaks, CA
Offering a fresh perspective
on competitive swimming!
Peak Performance Swim Camp returns to the Los Angeles area this Fall to offer two day technique camps for competitive swimmers! Our 4-STROKE CAMP provides two levels of specialized training for 12 & Over and 11 & Under athletes. Improve your stroke technique to swim faster and more efficiently!
Open to age group and senior-level swimmers, ages 8-18, who currently compete at a local, regional, state, or national level. To maximize the benefits of the clinic, swimmers are assigned to lanes based on their current skill and performance level versus age.
Camp Director Nick Baker
Nick Baker cofounded the original Peak Performance Swim Camp in 1996. In 2005 he branched out on his own and founded the present-day version. His vision was to create a holistic camp with a focus on developing the whole swimmer from a mental, technical, and physical perspective.View Nick Baker's Bio & Swim Tips ⟩
Nick Baker has been involved in competitive swimming since 1961. He swam competitively for 11 years (and qualified for the Olympic Trials in the 200M Breaststroke), coached club swimming for 21 years, and has exclusively run swim camps for the past 18 years. He started his coaching career in Canada in 1972, and moved to the United States in 1993 to run a competitive swim camp at the International Swimming Hall of Fame in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
The camp’s one-of-a-kind holistic approach and positive coaching style was created by Coach Nick Baker, founder and head coach of Peak Performance Swim Camp. Following is a brief list of his swimming and coaching highlights:
- Qualified for Olympic Trials in the 200 breaststroke
- Twenty-one years as a club coach
- Coached at the World Junior Olympics in Madrid, Spain in 1991
- Attended the 1992 Olympics as the personal coach of Olympic Swimmer Lisa Flood
- Twenty years as an exclusive swim camp/private coach
- Author of two popular swimming-related books, 101 Winning Ways and The Swimming Triangle
- A featured writer for Swimming World Magazine
- Conducted more than 350 swim camps & clinics though out the US and 15 foreign countries
- More than 900 swimmers, from 40 countries, attended Peak Performance Swim Camp in 2013
- A featured clinician at numerous coaching clinics throughout the world
- In the past forty-one years he has had the opportunity to work with many elite-level swimmers, including: World Record Holders, Olympic Medalists, Olympic Finalists, Olympic Trial Qualifiers, NCAA Champions, Senior and Junior National Champions, Zone Champions, State Champions, Junior Olympic Champions, and more
Swim Tips by Nick Baker:
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Swimming in the Zone
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Racing with Aggression
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: A Day At Peak Performance Swim Camp
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Two Styles Of Freestyle
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: How to do a World Class Backstroke Start
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: It’s All In The Style When It Comes To Swim Camps For Kids
- Peak Performance Swim Camp: Freestyle Catch
- Peak Performance Swim Camp: Breaststroke Shoot
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Say It, Think It, See It, Be It
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Why Yoga?
- Peak Performance Swim Video Tip: Freestyle Breathing
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: The Ideal Swim Coach
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Backstroke and Freestyle Pull
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Freestyle Kick
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Front Start
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Physical Conditioning
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Backstroke Streamline
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Tips for a better Freestyle
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Stretching Helps
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Dry-Land Training
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: Excitement Rules
- Peak Performance Swim Camp Tip: 10 Step Guide To Proper Nutrition For Swimmers
- Peak Performance Swim Camp: Breaststroke Kick
Coach Peak Coaching Staff
A great camp curriculum means nothing unless you have a team of great coaches to implement it. Our passionate and experienced coaching team is comprised of stroke technicians, teachers, and motivatorsView Peak Coaching Staff's Bio ⟩
A great camp curriculum means nothing unless you have a team of great coaches to implement it. Our passionate and experienced coaching team is comprised of stroke technicians, teachers, and motivators - who inspire our swimmers with their enthusiasm, knowledge, and love of swimming. All PEAK coaches fully endorse our mission statement, our holistic training approach, and positive coaching style. Staff availability varies and is subject to change per location.
Our Coaching Staff: swimcamp.com/coaches
Maximizing swimming potential through a holistic training approach is the mission of Peak Performance Swim Camp. To fulfill our mission, we seek to empower our swimmers through a two-tiered process of teaching and training. The teaching side includes daily chalk talks, video presentations, and ongoing poolside demonstrations. In addition, a targeted teaching strategy focused on swimmers’ individual needs is employed.
- Dates: November 11-12
- Age Group: 8-18
- Gender: Coed
- Camp Type: Day Camp
- Schedule: 9:00am-3:00pm, Saturday-Sunday
- Check-In: 8:45am on the pool deck. Camp check-in and Orientation for both swimmers and parents will take place at the Samuelson Aquatic Center. Please park and enter the facility via the front main entrance.
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Please bring a packed lunch.
- 4 Stroke Camp: For competitive swimmers ages 8-18. Our two day, 4-Stroke Camp provides concentrated work in all four competitive strokes and offers quick-fix solutions that work. Areas of concentration include body position, pulling, kicking, breathing, and timing. It’s the complete package over one weekend!
There’s a fundamental difference in how swimmers should train the long axis versus short axis strokes. Long axis strokes, backstroke and freestyle, involve side-to-side body rotation. Short axis strokes, butterfly and breaststroke, involve front-to-back rotation. Physical fitness can only take swimmers so far, but fitness plus the right technique can turbocharge their performance. PEAK coaches are masters at teaching and training, and our 1-on-1 attention provided to each swimmer sets PEAK apart from the rest. Learn from the PEAK pros and get the winning edge!
Note: This is NOT a learn-to-swim program, but specifically designed for competitive swimmers who can perform multiple lengths of all four strokes and the official starts and turns. Swimmers at camp are assigned to lanes based on ability level. The daily skill progressions and challenging swim sets are adjusted to reflect skill and performance levels.
California Lutheran University
Samuelson Aquatic Center
130 Overton Court
Thousand Oaks CA 91360
Click Here for Directions
Saturday, November 11th and Sunday, November 12th
Camp check-in and Orientation for both swimmers and parents will take place at the Samuelson Aquatic Center. Please park and enter the facility via the front main entrance.
- Swimmers must arrive at camp wearing their swimsuit underneath their dry-land clothing.
- Parents need to sign in their swimmer with camp staff each morning.
- There is limited space for spectators to observe the pool sessions on the pool bleachers.
Saturday, November 11th and Sunday, November 12th
Pick-up and Sign-out will occur on the pool deck at 3:00pm. Enter the pool via the back entrance near the circle drive.
- Parents must sign out their swimmer each afternoon with a PEAK staff member.
The camp concludes on Sunday, November 12, at 3:00 pm. Parents can pick up their children on the pool deck.
- Please bring your own bag lunch daily on Saturday and Sunday with your favorite healthy foods.
- Bag lunches must be in the swimmers’ possession at morning Drop-Off and not delivered later to the pool.
- Swimmers must bring two personal water bottles to camp, properly labeled and already ﬁlled.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning and afternoon training sessions
- Supervision: Campers are supervised by staff during camp hours.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: Campers will receive a Peak Swim Camps t-shirt and prizes.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Please bring your water swimsuit, swim cap, googles and towel(s)
- Facility: Samuelson Aquatic Center.
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- 2 Water Bottles - Properly labeled & already ﬁlled
- Bag Lunch with your favorite healthy foods
- Swimsuit worn underneath dry-land clothing
- 2 Swim Caps (your personal favorites)
- 2 Large Pool Towels
- Closed-Toe Running Shoes for dry-land training
- Dry-Land Apparel: T-Shirts, Shorts, or Leggings
- Do NOT bring ﬁns, pull-buoys, kickboards, etc.
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE SWIM CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our swim camps please see our FAQ page.Show Less See More Camp Details
COACH BAKER'S INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS:
Olympic Coach Nick Baker has created an outstanding video series for swimmers looking to improve their technical and physical performance. There’s no better teaching tool than visual aides to effectively demonstrate and practice these skills!
Yoga for Peak Performance: The more flexible the swimmer, the greater the speed! And yoga is the perfect way for swimmers to increase their flexibility. Greater flexibility in the shoulders, chest, hips, and ankles allows the body to generate more propulsion and flow through the water with minimal drag and greater ease. The Yoga For Peak Performance video, led by professional instructors Theresa and Calvin of College Park Yoga, offers a series of effective yoga postures designed to relax the body and enhance flexibility in as little as 15 minutes a day! Price: $65.00
PEAK OUT! Dry-Land Video: Swimming alone cannot develop the strength, flexibility, agility, or coordination needed to perform at the elite-level. The PEAK OUT! Dry-Land Training Video targets these all-important physical traits – giving swimmers a clear, competitive edge. The five, high-energy training circuits demonstrated in the video can be performed away from the pool and require no equipment. It’s the perfect fit for motivated swimmers on the move! Format: Stream video online. 82 minutes. Price: $85.00
PEAK Refresher 2.0: The PEAK Refresher 2.0 video, produced by 1992 Olympic Coach Nick Baker, builds on the fundamentals of Refresher 1.0 and introduces many elite-level skills not available on other swimming videos. The multiple and innovative camera angles take learning to a whole new level. The skills presented in this video are guaranteed to boost swimming performance! Format: Stream video online. 59 minutes. Price: $115.00
PEAK Refresher 1.0: The PEAK Refresher 1.0 is a state-of-the-art video also produced by 1992 Olympic Coach Nick Baker. It vividly illustrates key elements of the front, back, and relay start, along with the four strokes and turns. The step-by-step format greatly enhances learning. Format: Stream video online. 44 minutes.
PEAK Refresher Combo Package: Purchase the PEAK Refresher 2.0 video AND receive the PEAK Refresher 1.0 at half price ($75 value)! The PEAK Refresher 2.0 builds on the fundamentals of Refresher 1.0, providing comprehensive technical instruction for novice to elite-level competitive swimmers. Price: $150.00
The Ultimate PEAK Package: Purchase all 3 videos–PEAK OUT! Dry-Land Video, PEAK Refresher 2.0 video, and PEAK Refresher 1.0–at an incredible value! PLUS receive a free copy of Coach Nick Baker’s newest book, Un-Limit Yourself! A Must-Read for Serious Swimmers. The Ultimate PEAK Package provides an unparalleled, visual training experience combining the best of in-water technique skills, dry-land strength drills, and tips for a positive mindset. Price: $225.00
There are a very limited number of private coaching sessions available during the clinic. These are offered first-come, first-serve on the first day of camp. If you would like to place your name on the waitlist in advance, please email us at [email protected]
Hourly private coaching sessions with Head Coach Nick Baker are $300.00. Sessions with our Senior Assistant Coaches are $225.00.
COACH BAKER'S BOOKS:
Nick Baker, Founder of Peak Performance Swim Camp and Olympic Coach, provides unparalleled swim knowledge described in each of his books. With over 43 years of coaching experience with thousands of competitive swimmers from novice level to Olympic champions, Coach Baker addresses all-important topics ranging from the power of positive mentality and superior technique to building confidence and ideal strength and flexibility. Coach Baker’s books are perfect gifts to inspire and teach swimmers, coaches, and parents alike!
MIND BODY SKILL, A Journey to Swimming Excellence: Olympic Coach Nick Baker has just released his sixth book – the newest addition in his Swimmer Series collection – titled Mind Body Skill, A Journey to Swimming Excellence. Coach Baker challenges swimmers to create change in a BIG WAY to achieve the results they desire! A swimmer who improves their mental outlook can enhance their level of swimming performance to one degree or another. The same holds true for technique and fitness. But when a swimmer focuses on boosting all three at once, the paradigm shifts and EXCELLENCE happens! Coach Baker states, “To thrive and survive in the demanding sport of swimming, a swimmer must become the ‘driver of their dream’ and push for exponential growth no matter what the circumstances!” Price: $20.00
SWIMMER SERIES COLLECTION: You can purchase all four books in the series. The 4 books: MIND BODY SKILL, ARE YOU WORTH IT?, UN-LIMIT YOURSELF! & 101 WINNING WAYS Price: $50.00
ARE YOU WORTH IT? 45 Ways To Enhance Your Self-Worth In Swimming: Olympic Coach Nick Baker has added another gem to his motivational Swimmers' Series. Among all the factors that determine successfully reaching your swimming goals, self-worth is the single most influential. You must first feel important before you can achieve important things in your swimming life. This superb book teaches how to build that feeling and find the inner "magic" that lies within you. Paperback: 132 pages. Price: $20.00
UN-LIMIT YOURSELF! A Must-Read for Serious Swimmers: Olympic Coach Nick Baker is dedicated to serious swimmers striving for peak performance. This tremendous how-to pocket guide identifies 17 limiting factors that handicap swimming performance and how to overcome them. If identified early, these factors are within the swimmer’s power to change! Paperback. 52 pages. Price: $15.00
THE SWIMMING TRIANGLE: Coach Nick Baker’s most popular book is an innovative and essential guide to achieving superior mental, technical, and physical fitness in one of the world’s greatest sports. Whether you’re a coach or a swimmer, Olympic Coach Nick Baker’s wholly integrated approach can help you maximize your true potential. In this book Coach Baker offers proven, results-oriented methods for gaining—and keeping—a competitive edge! Paperback. 326 pages. Price: $25.00
101 WINNING WAYS: Written by Olympic Coach Nick Baker, this motivational book identifies 101 winning attitudes common to all great, world-class swimmers. Each winning attitude is described with an easy-to-remember phrase and simple imagery to enhance visualization. It’s a must-read for swimmers of all ages! Price: $15.00
IN THE KNOW: A SWIM PARENT'S GUIDE: Olympic Coach Nick Baker shares pearls of wisdom gleaned from coaching for more than forty years and provides parents with essential inside swimming knowledge geared to maximizing their child’s swimming experience. Coach Baker sheds light on many unanswered questions parents have about swimming, and guides them in making the right decisions for their child. Paperback. 124 pages. Price: $20.00
The schedule below outlines a sample agenda for the day.
- 8:45 AM – Daily Sign-In
- 9:00 AM – Dry Land
- 10:00 AM – Pool Session 1
- 12:00 PM – Lunch (Bring Your Own)
- 12:30 PM – Mind Power Workshop
- 1:00 PM – Pool Session 2
- 3:00 PM – Daily Sign Out
The daily curriculum includes two in-water training sessions (2 hours each), dry-land, and motivational mental skills training. The combined PEAK experience toughens swimmers mentally, boosts fitness and confidence, and improves essential swimming skills.
Samuelson Aquatic Center
Camp will be held on the California Lutheran University campus, located 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles. Campers train each day at the Samuelson Aquatic Center.
She enjoyed focusing on ball handling skills
Thank you for such an empowering camp experience!
Dear Coach Nick, Thank you for such an empowering camp experience. Throughout the camp, the coaches created a positive environment that served as a catalyst for positive change. Upon leaving the camp I felt physically stronger, technically better equipped, and most of all, mentally tougher. I had always been, as you put it, a race horse. I went to all the practices, but was always saving my energy for that one killer main set. I was in a survivalistic mindset that kept me in my comfort zone. Through your camp I have realized that staying in my comfort zone will not get me anywhere. As a result of your swim camp, I am mentally equipped and have been welcoming each challenge set back in club practice. I will continue to strive to become a Race-practice horse so as to maximize my gain and minimize my time. So far in the week of club swimming that I’ve had since the camp, I have made a conscious effort to keep what I learned in camp with me. I still wear the Swim Positive wrist band on my ankle every day. The wrist band really brings your philosophy into tangible form, and it really helps to remind me of everything I have learned.Each day brings a new challenge and because of your swim camp, I feel ready and happy to face what adversity might come. I will always remember those talks that you had with the Elite group before getting into the water. They really helped me by providing encouragement and hope. Whenever I dislike a set, I remember what you said about thinking about what helps me, rather than what I like. All in all, your swim camp has really changed my outlook on practice and swimming itself. Truly, you have changed my attitude towards the sport, and for that you have my utmost thanks. Thank you for your commitment and level of dedication to the swimmers at your swim camp; I am sure we all appreciate it.
— J.W., Parent of Peak Performance Swim Camper '17
Dear Coach Nick Baker - Our daughter participated in the Peak Performance Fall Swim Clinic in San Francisco and we wanted to share with you our experiences and impressions. We found the clinic truly awesome! The work you did with these young swimmers was really amazing. Your expertise, professionalism, guidance, inspiration and last but not least, friendliness, was truly above and beyond anything we could have hoped for. The whole coaching team was synergetic, consistent, focused and everyone was great! We truly appreciate Coach Roger and his work with our daughter during her private sessions. He showed great passion when speaking to her and a good sense of humor - he was also patient and provided an excellent guidance for her. The clinic was very productive. Our daughter experienced many new aspects of swim training, the new drills and tricks – ones that are not easy available at her regular swim practice at her club. She feels much more confident with her swimming, which is something she struggled with quite often in the past. During our trip home to Reno we started to plan our schedule for 2015 to participate in the next Peak Performance camp, but this time a longer one. Hope to see you soon!
— B.C., Parent of Peak Performance Swim Camper '16
We would like to thank you for the amazing coaching at the swim camp in San Francisco. It was one of the best learning experiences the boys have had in their lives. “Just awesome, 10 out of 10!” says our boys. You have a great connection with children – positive, encouraging, knowledgeable and convincible. I wish they would listen to me the same way! When I looked at the way you are teaching, it is not only about teaching children how to swim, it applies so many ways in their later life. Life is about where people want to go and what people want to be, but the journey how to get there is the most difficult part. Swim training involves goal setting, lots of hard work, and persistence…and the book you wrote is very helpful to them. Thank you, Coach Baker and ALL the PEAK coaching team! We wish to see you next year.
— M.C., Parent of Peak Performance Swim Camper '15
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.