Nike Tennis Tournament Training Camp at Amherst College
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
Our tournament training tennis camp at Amherst College is a competitive junior tennis camp in Massachusetts for tournament level and ranked players looking to improve tournament results and mental toughness and learn winning strategies.
As a top New England tennis camp, we offer the latest teaching techniques with detailed stroke breakdown, live drilling, supervised match play, strategy sessions, and team tournaments.
- Instruction from Tennis Pros, National Championship Coaches, College Players, and Skilled teachers
- 5-6 hours of daily training, match play, fitness training with low student/teacher ratio
- Competitive Singles and doubles tournament each week
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mike Gardner
In his 28th year as a Nike Tennis Camp Director, Mike Gardner brings years of experience and dedication to junior tennis development.View Mike Gardner's Bio & Tennis Tips ⟩
USPTA Level 1 Certified, Coach Gardner’s experience includes:
• 2012 and 2013 Massachusetts Division 1 State Championship Coach.
• 30 plus years Professional Junior Training Coach.
• Director of Nike/Amherst since its inception in 1994.
• Trained hundreds of top New England and National level players.
• Many of Coach Gardner’s students have earned Division 1 College Scholarships.
• State Championship High School Coach.
• Tennis Director, Orchard Hills Athletic Club in Lancaster, MA
Tennis Tips by Mike Gardner:
These Tournament Training tennis camps offer Overnight, Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camp options for boys and girls, ages 8-18, with a tournament ranking or a significant amount of tournament experience. All Skills and High School programs as also available. Click "More Important Camp Details".
2018 Camp Dates and Offerings
- June 17-22
- June 24-29
- July 1-6
- July 8-13
- July 15-20
- July 22-27
The Tournament Training Program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies and work on mental toughness. The program includes an intensive “off court” program including goal setting meeting, strategy sessions including shot selection, offense and defense tactics, and mental toughness training with tennis-specific sport psychologist.
If you are not a tournament level player, check out our All Skills and High School programs here: Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College
This year, the program will be divided into 2 leveled areas of training, Tournament “A” and “B”. Each player will be evaluated prior to the beginning of the camp program. Placement into specific programs will be at the discretion of the Director. Our goal is to put the student into an environment that will allow him/her to improve the fastest.
Tournament Juniors ranked at the National Level or Upper Sectional Level will train in the “A” Division. The “A” level Tournament Training program will include the following:
- Players “pick” the skill they wish to focus on most for the morning. More attention will be paid to that skill, providing a custom program for each individual. (eg. If the player feels as if their serve needs more attention, he/she can select to do extra work on it each day. If after 2 days the same player wishes to work more on the volley, for example, he/she can elect to do it.) Drills are intensive and include fed balls and live hitting.
- Daily lectures will be provided by a Director with topics including but not limited to shot selection, match preparation, nutrition and hydration concerns. A mental toughness seminar will be provided by Dr. Elisabeth Young, Sports Psychologist and former professional tennis player.
- Each afternoon, each participant will compete in 2 coached matches.
- Following the tennis program each day, “A” Level tournament participants will partake in a tennis specifically designed cross-training fitness program.
The “B” level Tournament program is a hybrid type program designed to help players make the transition into a world of competitive tournaments. Campers will participate in select tournament training activities while at the same time, join the general camp in several of its activities.
- Overnight campers check in on Sunday from 1:00-2:00pm at the dorms.
- Day and Extended Day campers check in from 1:30-2:00pm.
- Day and Extended Day Campers will depart the first day at 9:00pm after dinner and evening activities.
- Graduation: All campers: 12:00 noon Friday at the dorms. Parents are invited to attend!
- Check-out immediately follows Graduation.
Day & Extended Day Camper Schedule
- Sunday: Day and Extended Day Campers arrive at 1:30pm and depart at 9:00pm.
- Monday-Thursday: Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 5:00pm. Extended Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 9:00pm.
- Friday: All campers have a graduation at 12:00pm. Check-out is immediately after Graduation.
Campers will play on the 28 hard and clay courts on campus. Indoor courts are also available on campus in the event of rain. The camp has use of the Amherst College athletic fields, swimming pools and gymnasiums for off court training and activities.
2018: Campers reside in the ideally situated Charles Pratt dormitories equipped with TV lounges and WiFi. The entire camp resident staff, including the Director, live in the dormitory with the campers, providing safety and security 24 hours a day. Roommates: 2 per room (some triples may be available) based on requests and then by age and gender. There is no A/C in the dorms, but they don't get too hot. Campers may bring fans.
All meals are included for overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day campers. Lunch is provided for all Day campers. Meals start with dinner on the first day and end with breakfast on the last day. Meals will be served at the award-winning Valentine cafeteria. This air-conditioned venue serves an excellent “all you can eat” variety of health hot and cold meals. This all you can eat cafeteria includes a full-service salad bar with fresh fruits and vegetables, a large variety pizza bar, a dessert bar including ice cream "soft serve," cookies, and cakes, with drinks such as juice, milk, soda, athletic drinks, coffee and tea.
Off Court Activities
At Nike/Amherst, we take social activities seriously. Activities include: Supervised trips to Amherst town center with its fun shops & restaurants, movie night at the local mall, pool and pizza party night, camp dance featuring professional DJ, team skits and “ice breaker” activities.
Multiple week campers that elect to stay over the weekend will participate in organized “off campus” trips including fun parks, mini golf, bowling and the mall. Campers are supervised by camp staff throughout the entire weekend. Cost: $300/weekend
Bradley International – Hartford, CT
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots, but we do have some options below for you. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Logan Airport.
- For campers attending sessions BEFORE June 23, 2018: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through T&L Limo Service by calling 617-296-1512 or 1-800-338-1512 or by emailing email@example.com. Round trip: $490. One-way $245. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
- For campers attending sessions FROM June 24, 2018 on: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through World Sports Camp by calling Adam Shand at 617-519-3810 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Boston, MA Logan (BOS): Round trip: $490, One-Way $245 and Bradley, Hartford, CT Bradley (BDL): Roundtrip:$350, One-Way: $175. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst
We're excited to also bring you an Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College for ages 18 and over! Click the link for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. PLEASE NOTE: Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camp Code: TNTRMH
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30am Stretching, Camp Meeting at Courts
- 8:45am Tennis Instruction
- 10:00am Break
- 10:15am Tennis Instruction and Drills
- 11:45am Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 4:00pm Conclusion of Daily Tennis Program
- 4:15pm Groups or Private Extra Help, Optional Tennis, Swimming
- 5:00pm Day campers Depart - Rest, Shower, Dinner
- 5:00pm Evening Activity
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers Depart
- 9:30pm Overnight Campers to Rooms
- 10:15pm Lights Out
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
really helped my tennis game drastically
7/30/2016 - I really loved coming to Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College. The staff and director Mike Gardner were always enthusiastic and encouraged kids to become a better tennis player. The staff really helped my tennis game drastically. I am definitely coming back Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College next year.
— Will G. Camper
it was great
7/27/2016 - It was great!
— Miller M. Camper
want to go back next year
7/27/2016 - Our son Nick had a great time. He wants to go back next year.
— Susan S. Parent
Well run and enjoyable
7/27/2016 - Great experience! Well run and enjoyable.
— Emily G. Camper
Look forward to next year!
10/13/2015 - Look forward to next year!
— Reilly C. Camper
loved every minute
7/24/2015 - My son has not stopped speaking about his experience. He loved every minute. Thank you!
— Anne B. Parent
really enjoyed it and improved
7/22/2015 - I really enjoyed it and thought I improved especially on my serves!
— Grace V. Camper
had a great time at camp and look forward to attending again
7/9/2015 - Both boys had a great time at camp and look forward to attending again next summer!
— Connie G. Parent
absolutely loves it, want 3-week program
7/5/2015 - My daughter Zoe attended the Nike tournament training camp at Amherst for 2 weeks the past 3 summers. She absolutely loves it and filled out this survey. I have a suggestion. Each year she says she will go back the following year for 3 weeks, but ends up staying 2 weeks since all of her friends end up leaving and then it starts all over again. Would you ever consider an actual full two-week session where all the campers stay for two weeks? If there was some way to incorporate an actual full two-week session where ALL the kids stay for two weeks and it is structured as a two-week session I think it would be very helpful. I do think it is important to keep the non-tennis activities and rest over the weekends to give the players a break and a chance to recuperate. Zoe and I would love to see a way to extend the camp to 3 weeks!
— Alan K. Parent
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.