Nike Volleyball Camp at Skagit Island Volleyball Academy
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
This summer volleyball camp in Washington will be led by an elite level staff, with curriculum designed by former DI head coach, James Finley. Join us at our Serving camp and High School Tryout Prep Camp and prepare for the upcoming fall season!
Players will develop their techniques and skills through various drills, position work, and live gameplay. Come join us this summer to improve your game and enjoy an exciting girls and boys volleyball camp!
- Instruction from former Seattle University (DI) Coach
- Serving Clinic & High School Tryout Prep programs offered
- 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes! (multi-day camps only)
- View More Details ⟩
James Finley - Administrative Director James Finley Volleyball Camps
James Finley is a former DI Women's Head Volleyball Coach, he has over 25 years of coaching experience. Coach Finley’s camp curriculum will be led by outstanding current and former college, club and high school coaches and players.View James's Bio & Volleyball Tips ⟩
Coach James Finley is a former DI volleyball head coach with 21 years of college success. His knowledge and passion for the game has helped thousands of athletes in their pursuit of their volleyball goals. He is meticulous in teaching the critical details of the sport while making the game fun and engaging.
In December of 2019, Seattle University volleyball head coach James Finley announced his retirement after seven seasons leading the Redhawks program and more than 20 years of collegiate coaching.
Finley was named the program’s second head coach in its Division I era in February 2013, following an eight-year term at Virginia Commonwealth. While at the Redhawk helm, he led the program to seven consecutive Western Athletic Conference Tournament appearances, and amassed 93 wins, second-most in program history.
The Texas-born coach was also responsible for some of the program’s best players as he worked with three-time All-WAC selection Martina Samadan, two-time WAC Setter of the Year Shae Harris, 2015 WAC Newcomer of the Year Jelena Vujcin as well as WAC Freshmen of the Year Iris Ivanis and Katarina Marinkovic.
In his first three seasons, Finley led Seattle U to consecutive winning records in conference play and helped the Redhawks advance to the WAC Tournament semifinal in 2013. The next year, Finley steered the program to a fourth-place finish in the regular-season standings before orchestrating a thrilling run to the title match with victories over Utah Valley and regular-season champion Kansas City. Then, in 2015, the Redhawks notched their best season as a Division I program finishing 18-11 overall and third in league play at 9-5.
During his seven seasons, Finley saw his teams post several top five single-season marks in the Redhawks’ record book including, most aces in 2015 (202), second-most blocks (289.0) in 2014, most digs in 2018 (1,670) and finished the 2019 campaign with the second-most kills (1,429) and digs (1,619).
Finley’s collegiate coaching career spanned 21 seasons, including 19 as a head coach with prior stops at Arizona Western College and VCU. He spent 15 seasons in the NCAA Division I ranks, posting 244 career victories in 477 games.
Volleyball Tips by James:
staff Camp Staff
Our Camp Director will be assisted by a talented staff which may include current and former collegiate coaches and players, club coaches, and high school coaches.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
- Dates: 2024 Dates Coming Soon. Join Priority List!
- Age Group: 11-18
- Gender: Girls & boys
- Programs: Serving Clinic & High School Tryout Prep Camp
- Camp Type: Day Camp, Half Day Clinic
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided, please bring a sack lunch to camp each day.
2022 CAMP DATES
- August 15: Serving Clinic
- August 15-17: High School Tryout Prep Camp
- Attend multiple sessions! Campers are encouraged to attend multiple sessions! Each program delivers something unique to help players excel in all areas of the game.
Please note: Camp schedules and details may be subject to change. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
- Dates: August 15
- Gender: Girls & Boys
- Ages: 11-18
- Check-in: 8:30am on Tuesday
- Check-out: 11:30am on Tuesday
- Daily Hours: 9:00am-11:30am
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Please bring a sack lunch and a snack each day
- Program: This Serving program is geared towards girls and boys ages 11-18/grades 6-12 with 0-3 years of some playing experience. This clinic is designed to focus solely on serving the volleyball. Learn how to be confident and aggressive from behind the line! This program will focus on the various techniques of serving, along with improving consistency. Campers will learn and improve through drill work, challenging games, demonstrations, and maximum repetitions.
*If you are planning to attend the High School Tryout Prep Camp after, please bring your lunch. Campers will be supervised between sessions.
HIGH SCHOOL TRYOUT PREP CAMP
- Dates: August 15-17
- Gender: Girls only
- Ages: 14-18
- Check-in: 12:30pm on Tuesday
- Check-out: 4:00pm on Thursday
- Daily Hours: Tuesday 1:00pm-6:00pm, Wednesday 9:00am-6:00pm, Thursday 9:00am-4:00pm
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Please bring a sack lunch and a snack each day
- Program: This Advanced program is geared towards high school and club level players, ages 14-18 entering into grades 8-12, with 2 or more years of competitive experience. All athletes MUST have a minimum of 2 years of playing experience outside of middle school and high school volleyball, basic volleyball and position skills, and some understanding of rotation along with the ability to serve overhand. This intense, challenging program stresses position play, advanced team techniques, physical conditioning, and a higher level of competitive play. The camp will provide players with, position work & development, skill development, rotations, offensive and defensive systems, and developing a player's ability to read and process the game. In addition, players will work on mindset training and concepts for positive self-talk, confidence building, and methods to handle pressure during competition.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning and afternoon training sessions
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Please bring a sack lunch and a snack each day.
- Supervision: Campers are supervised by staff during camp hours
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: Campers at multi-day camps will receive a Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes. *1-day clinics excluded.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for instruction during camp. Campers may purchase a Camp Volleyball at the time of registration, which will be given out on the last day of camp. Fun tip: Have your camp friends sign your ball before you leave!
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by ability, age, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well-broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own ball.
- Facility: Indoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
Directors Note to Campers
“We are excited you have chosen to train with us at Nike Volleyball Camps this summer. It is so much fun for camp staff to share our experience and knowledge in helping you improve your skills, mindset and understanding of the game. The camp philosophy is to teach technique through the development of an athletes mindset. This allows a volleyball player to gain knowledge, make good decisions and learn to perform under pressure. Two way communication between campers and staff allows us to work together with each camper in their development while having fun” - James Finley
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review
important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to
camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Athletic, on-court clothing (t-shirts, shorts)
- Indoor volleyball shoes, well broken-in
- Outdoor athletic shoes
- Knee pads
- Water bottle
- Small gym bag/backpack
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Spending money
- COVID PPE (as required by state/local guidelines)
- Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE VOLLEYBALL CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our volleyball camps please see our FAQ page.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.Show Less See More Camp Details
SERVING CLINIC SCHEDULE
- 8:30am-9:00am Check-in
- 9:00am-11:30am Serving Clinic
- 11:30am Check-out
- 11:30am-12:30pm If you are planning to attend the High School Tryout Prep Camp after, please bring your lunch. Campers will be supervised between sessions.
HIGH SCHOOL TRYOUT PREP SCHEDULE DAY 1
- 12:30pm-1:00pm Sign in/registration
- 1:00pm-3:30pm Session 1
- 3:30pm-4:00pm Recovery Break/snack
- 4:00pm-6:00pm Session 2
HIGH SCHOOL TRYOUT PREP SCHEDULE DAY 2
- 8:30am-9:00am Check in
- 9:00am-12:00pm Session 3
- 12:00pm-1:30pm Lunch break and Recovery
- 1:30pm-4:00pm Session 4
- 4:00pm-4:30pm Recovery Break/snack
- 4:30pm-6:00pm Session 5
HIGH SCHOOL TRYOUT PREP SCHEDULE DAY 3
- 8:30am-9:00am Check in
- 9:00am-12:00pm Session 6
- 12:00pm-1:30pm Lunch Break and Recovery
- 1:30pm-4:00pm Session 7 Competition: End of session awards, evaluations and certificate
The facility is located just off I-5 in Blaine and features two courts with sport court flooring, high ceilings and plenty of room for pursuit off the courts.
Camp Questions & Answers
Can I sign up for more than 1 session/program?
Absolutely! Campers are encouraged to attend multiple sessions. Each program delivers something unique to help players excel in all areas of the game. Many campers will attend more than one session to further refine their skills, compete against new players, or choose a session with a different program focus.
June 15, 2022: My daughter met new friends and her coach is really nice. She learned a lot.
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.