Nike Volleyball Camp SUNY Potsdam
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
This fun and competitive girls volleyball camp in New York is held at The State University of New York at Potsdam.
Our 2019 volleyball camp in Potsdam, NY offers overnight and day camp options, with training for players, age 10-18, of every skill level. Campers will have the opportunity to train with the SUNY Potsdam Head Volleyball Coach and master fundamentals, develop proper volleyball mechanics, gain valuable game play experience, and have fun!
- Instruction from collegiate coaching staff and players
- 6-7 hours daily instruction, with 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Josh Stokes
Josh Stokes returns for his sixth season as head coach of the Bears volleyball team.Stokes was previously the head coach at Southern Vermont College and an assistant at Potsdam during the 2009 and 2010 seasons.View Josh Stokes's Bio & Volleyball Tips ⟩
"Josh has proven himself as an extremely capable recruiter and successful head coach,” said Zalacca. “Under his leadership, we look forward to our volleyball program's continual development."
For three seasons at Southern Vermont, Stokes was the Mountaineers head men’s and women’s volleyball coach. During his tenure the women’s team posted a 69-19 overall record and a 20-3 mark in the New England Collegiate Conference. His women’s squad set the school record with 31 wins in 2011. The Mountaineers recorded back-to-back conference championships and NCAA Tournament appearances in 2011 and 2012. His women’s program produced two-time NECC Player of the Year Jessica Alvarez and All-American Danielle Healis. He was named NECC women’s volleyball Coach of the Year in 2011 and 2012 and earned the same men’s honor in 2011. He guided the men’s team to Southern Vermont’s single-season wins records in 2010 and 2011 and is the all-winningest coach in program history.
"This is a true honor being asked to be the head coach at Potsdam,” Stokes said. “It will be tough to follow in the footsteps of Steve Pike, but having worked with him before, I believe I can continue to carry on the wonderful traditions he has instilled into the program. I am very excited to work with the women that are coming back and the future women that will join the program. It truly is a blessing to join SUNY Potsdam one more time. I will miss everything about Southern Vermont, especially both of my volleyball teams. The journey was amazing and I look forward to my next adventure."
Stokes spent two years as a setter with his alma mater Ramapo College. The Roadrunners were ECAC Tournament Champions in 2003 and runners-up the following season. In two years, he recorded 1,200 assists, over 200 kills and digs, 75 blocks and made the Skyline Conference All-Academic team twice.
Stokes has accumulated extensive coaching experience at the high school, club and college levels during his career. He first came to the North Country as the assistant volleyball coach for Clarkson University, spending the 2007 and 2008 seasons across town. He then came to Potsdam as Pike’s assistant for the next two years.
Stokes graduated from Ramapo in 2004 with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and received a master’s in education from SUNY Potsdam in 2009.
Volleyball Tips by Josh Stokes:
This year we are offering an Overnight and Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) camp for girls, ages 10-18, of all ability levels. See "More Camp Details" for further information. Register before March 15th for our Early Bird Price!
2019 CAMP DATES
- July 28-31
This camp is open to girls, ages 10-18, of all abilities. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play.
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
2019 SESSION SCHEDULE
Camp Dates: July 28-31
- Check-in: 2:00-3:00pm on Sunday, location TBA
- Check-out: Graduation takes place at 11:30am on Wednesday. Parents are invited to attend. Check out will take place immediately after.
- Parents are also invited to attend the last training session, which starts at 9:30am on Wedneday.
- Extended Day Camper Schedule: Sunday: 2:00-9:00pm, Monday & Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm, Wednesday: 9:00am-12:00pm
What's included in the fee?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $17 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Indoor courts
- Inclement Weather Plan: In the event of rain, we will provide transportation to the dorms and dining hall.
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camper Registration Packets, emailed to all campers closer to the camp’s start date.
- Campers Per Room: 2
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: On each floor
- Linens: Not included. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: Please refer to the Camper Registration Packet. A/C availability depends on our specific dorm assignment.
Nike Volleyball Camps does not provide transportation from airports, train stations or bus depots. If you have a child flying to camp, please arrange a shuttle or taxi service. The closest airports to campus are Massena (MSS) and Ogdensburg (OGS).
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, shower, breakfast for Overnight Campers
- 9:00am Extended Day Campers arrive. Stretching & Warm-up
- 9:15am Training Session I
- 12:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1:30pm Training Session II
- 4:00pm Free time, rest, dinner
- 6:30pm Training Session III
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers depart. Overnight Campers to rooms.
- 10:00pm Lights out
SUNY Potsdam is located in Potsdam, a great college town in upstate New York. Ottawa and Montreal are about 80 and 100 miles away. Syracuse is about 150 miles from Potsdam.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Learned new skills
August 9, 2018: My daughter's highlights were working on her jump serve and woring on her approach
— Barbra D. parent
Lots of fun!
July 26, 2018: She learned a lot of refining skills. She also liked that they went for fro you and did other fun things vs just volleyball all day!
— Beth G. Parent
July 26, 2018: The staff was friendly & helpful upon arrival. Minor to some, but incredibly important to a mom, my daughter developed large open blisters on the backs of both heels on the second day. The medical attention she received was impressive. Instead of just throwing bandaids on both heels, the staff treated and lightly wrapped both ankles with athletic tape - which helped comfort her & stay put so much better than just band-aid would. I feel that she was in capable hands and will not hesitate to send her back next year.
— Carrie C. parent
Great meeting new people!
August 2, 2017: The camp environment was safe and the coaches were great. It was nice meeting people from outside our area.
— Tom F. Parent
July 27, 2017: She has not stopped talking about her coaches! The coaching staff were knowledgeable and great teachers!
— Sharon P. Parent