Boys Nike Volleyball Camp at UC Santa Cruz
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
At the 2019 summer volleyball camp in Santa Cruz located just 35 miles from San Jose, our goal is to stimulate a love for the game in young athletes by showing them how to accelerate their own progress and success.
The UC Santa Cruz coaching staff completely immerses you in the sport, giving you the kind of focused, intensive training essential to improvement.
- Coach to camper ratio is 1:10
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- Trip to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Director Gabrielle Houston
Gabrielle Houston was named as head coach of the UC Santa Cruz women's volleyball program on August 2nd 2018.View Gabrielle's Bio ⟩
She becomes the 12th head coach in program history. Houston is no stranger to UCSC. Her father James was a Professor of Creative Writing and her sister Cori served as the Banana Slugs' women's soccer coach 1988-95 before becoming the Athletics Director.
Houston comes to UCSC after working the past nine years as the head coach at Cabrillo College. In her tenure at Cabrillo, she amassed a whopping 239-31 record leading the Seahawks to 9 straight Coast Conference Championships, a pair of state titles and reached the Final Four on four occasions. In 2013, her 5th season, Cabrillo won their first-ever CCCAA state championship title and became the first Northern California team in the 36-year history of the CCCAA to win a state championship. She coached 10 All-State players, 8 All-NorCal, 7 Coast Conference MVPs, 18 All-State tournament and 5 All-Americans.
She is also Director of the Main Beach Volleyball Club, one of the top juniors volleyball clubs in Northern California. She has worked with their 16s, 17s and 18s teams.
Prior to Cabrillo, Gabrielle took over a struggling high school program at Mount Madonna High School (2006 - 2009), a Division 5 school with a coed student population of under 60. Although one of the smallest schools in the state, it competes in a league of schools with enrollment upwards of 1,400 students. In her first year, Gabrielle improved Mt. Madonna's conference standing from last place (2-16 record) to 3rd place in the SCCAL and a first-ever CCS playoff berth. The following season in 2007, Gabrielle guided the tiny school to its first league title. With only 9 eligible players, Mt. Madonna took the momentum of a conference championship into the CCS tournament and a CIF State Championship, the first-ever in school history and the first SCCAL team in over 10 years to win a State Title.
This year we are offering Overnight and Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) camps for boys of all ability levels. See "More Camp Details" for further information.
2019 CAMP DATES
- July 15-19
This camp is open to boys, ages 10-18, of all abilities. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play.
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
2019 SESSION SCHEDULE
CAMP DATES: JULY 15-19
- Check-in: 2:30pm-4:00pm on Monday
- Check-out: 11:00am-11:30am on Friday
- Extended Day Camper Schedule: Monday 2:30pm-9:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday 9:00am-9:00pm, Friday 9:00am-11:30am
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Extra Activities: Campers travel via University buses to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk one evening during the week. The entire coaching staff attends and supervises the campers. *Permission form required!
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $17 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Indoor Gym
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camper Registration Packets, emailed to all campers closer to the camp’s start date.
- Campers Per Room: 1-4
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Rooming assignments cannot be changed if requested less than 3 weeks prior to camp and NO on-site changes will be made at check-in. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared on each floor
- Linens: Not provided. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and towel
- Air Conditioning: Please refer to the Camper Registration Packet. A/C availability depends on our specific dorm assignment.
Nike Volleyball Camps does not provide transportation from airports, train stations or bus depots. If you have a child flying to camp, please arrange a shuttle or taxi service. The closest airports to campus are San Jose International Airport (SJC) and San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, shower
- 8:00am-9:00pm Breakfast
- 9:00-11:30am Training Session I
- 11:30am-1:00pm Lunch and free time
- 1:30-4:00pm Training Session II
- 4:30-6:00pm Dinner and rest
- 7:00-9:00pm Open Gym/ Evening Activities
- 10:30 Lights out
UC Santa Cruz is located 75 miles south of San Francisco at the edge of the coastal community of Santa Cruz, the campus lies on 2,001 acres of rolling, forested hills overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Monterey Bay.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Please visit Nike Volleyball Camp at UC Santa Cruz Girls' camp page for reviews.