Cal Girls Water Polo Camp
Improve Your Skills And Have Fun
at Cal Water Polo Camp
US Sports Camps and the Cal Women’s Water Polo Head Coach, Coralie Simmons, are excited to team up to offer a two-day training opportunity in May and a three-day training opportunity in June, to high school level players ages 13-18.
The Cal Water Polo Camp and Clinics will cover all facets of the game and progress from core fundamentals to advanced techniques over the two days. Similar to a collegiate-level practice, the clinic will also include dryland strength and conditioning, video review and discussions on goal setting and nutrition.
- Instruction by Cal Women's Water Polo coaching staff and current players
- Skills Camp for Girls Ages 13-18
- Low camper to instructor ratio
- Daily emphasis on fundamentals, position training, drills and scrimmages
- Position Specific Training for Drivers, Shooters, Goalies & 2 Meter Offense & Defense
- View More Details ⟩
Head Coach Coralie Simmons
Coralie Simmons became the fifth head coach in Cal women's water polo history when she was hired to lead the program on Oct. 14, 2016.View Coralie's Bio ⟩
Simmons is simply one of the most respected figures in the water polo community, reaching lofty heights as both an athlete and coach. She is regarded as one of the greatest female American players ever, having led the United States to the silver medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia and twice being named the NCAA Player of the Year while a student-athlete at UCLA. She helped the Bruins win the first-ever NCAA Championship in 2001. She was named to the Pac-12 All-Century Team in 2016.
Her coaching career began in 2005 as an assistant at Hawaii, where she helped the Rainbows record their first-ever top-four finish at the NCAA Championships. She moved on to become an assistant at her alma mater, helping UCLA capture the 2007 NCAA title.
It didn't take long for Simmons to scale the coaching ladder. After one year each as an assistant at Hawaii and UCLA, she was named the head coach at Sonoma State University. She led the Seawolves program for nine years, twice being named the Division II National Coach of the Year.
Simmons also is heavily involved in the U.S. National Team program, having served in a variety of roles as a head coach and assistant coach. In 2015, she coached the U.S. Junior National Team to a gold medal at the FINA Junior World Championships in Volos, Greece - a team that included current Golden Bears Emily Loughlin and Stephanie Mutafyan. Simmons has also served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Senior Team and Youth National Team, each of which won gold medals at the World Championships.
Assistant Coach: Cal Women’s Water Polo Christopher Lee
Christopher Lee is entering his fifth year as an assistant coach at Cal. In his previous 4 seasons, he has helped guide the Golden Bears to three NCAA Tournament appearances.View Christopher's Bio ⟩
- Occidental College, Head Coach - men's and women's water polo
- Pomona-Pitzer Colleges, Assistant Coach - men's and women's water polo: three time conference champion, two NCAA Tournament appearances
- University of Pennsylvania, Head Coach - men's and women's water polo: five time conference champion, six time conference coach of the year
USA Water Polo National Team:
- USA Women’s Senior National Team, Staff: 2012 & 2016 Olympic Games, 2011 2013 2015 2017 FINA World Championships
- USA Women’s Development National Team, Head Coach
- USA Women’s Cadet National Team, Assistant Coach: 2011 UANA Youth Championship Silver Medal, 2015 UANA Youth Championship Gold Medal
Assistant Coach Heather Petri
Heather Petri, a two-time All-American as a student-athlete at Cal and the only four-time female Olympian in any sport in Golden Bear history, is in her first season as a volunteer assistant coach.View Heather's Bio ⟩
Petri played at Cal from 1997-99 and 2001. She helped Team USA win the gold medal in 2012, the silver medal in 2000 and 2008 and the bronze in 2005.
Petri has extensive previous coaching experience with camps, clinics and private lessons. She also has spent time as an assistant coach at Long Beach State and Miramonte High School.
Petri was inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013, the same year she had her cap retired by the Cal women's water polo program. A former Olympic teammate of head coach Coralie Simmons, Petri also was named to the Pac-12 All-Century Team in 2016.
Camp Guest Coach - Specializing In Goalie Training Andrew Silva
Andrew Silva will be a guest coach at the Cal Water Polo Camp.View Andrew Silva's Bio ⟩
- Girls varsity water polo coach at Morro Bay High School
- Assistant Coach for USA Water Polo (USAWP) Women's Youth National Team
- Olympic Development Program (ODP) Zone Head Coach of Coastal California Zone for USAWP
- USAWP ODP Goalkeeper Coach
- Cal Water Polo Club (Golden Bear), Asst. Coach (Summer, 2017)
- Team Leader for USAWP Women's Senior National Team during Kunshan Cup and World League Super Final in China (2017)
- Assistant Coach, USWAP Men's Cadet National Team. Budapest, Hungary (2016)
- Assistant Coach, USAWP Women's Youth National Team during Pan American Championships (2014)
Cal Water Polo is offering a NEW weekend clinic series in the San Francisco Bay Area! Attend our two day spring clinic May 19-20 in beautiful Berkeley, CA. Our goal is to engage and inspire each player at camp and to instill positive character traits such as confidence, self-motivation, and a passion for the sport.
1). The Cal Water Polo camp is open to any and all entrants. 2). Drugs, alcohol and smoking are strictly prohibited and constitute grounds for immediate dismissal from camp. 3). For your safety and benefit, we recommend that you choose a camp that fits your particular skills and level of development.Show Less See More Camp Details
A detailed camper registration packet containing check-in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers prior to camp. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. Things to bring:
- Health & Release Forms (Hand in at check-in)
- Water Bottle (we will provide filtered water)
- Dryland shoes and apparel
- 2 x Towels
- Flip Flops
- Rubber Caps
- Water Polo Suit (zipper)
- Sweatshirt (for cooler weather and/or tours)
- Pen and notebook (Strongly encouraged)
- Campers must bring their own lunch each day
Spring Clinic (May 19-20)
You can do Saturday or Sunday only, or the entire weekend at a discounted price! The clinic is designed as a 4 session sequence with each session having a different focus. Campers are encouraged to attend all 4 sessions.
- May 19: 8:30-12:00pm, 1:00-4:30pm
- May 20: 8:30-12:00pm, 1:00-4:30pm
TEAM DISCOUNT: If eight or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $20 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group and to provide us with a list of names. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
Due to University and NCAA Policies, we are not allowed to offer any transportation to and from camps. The airport closest to the Berkeley campus is Oakland International The camp is not allowed to offer any transportation to and from camps. The airport closest to the Berkeley campus is Oakland International Airport; San Francisco International Airport is also within a reasonable distance. Campers are responsible for their own transportation to and from camp.
LEGENDS AQUATICS CENTER
Campers will train each day at UC Berkeley's Legends Aquatics Center, one of the newest and finest outdoor facilities in the United States. The main entrance to Legends Aquatic Center is on Bancroft Ave, one block down from Spieker Pool and RSF. Parking is available in the RSF Garage located on Bancroft or metered street parking.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
See you soon!
December 10, 2017: I really appreciated the smaller camp size and the individual coaching you were able to give me. I played a lot of defense this year so, of course, I was very thankful for the individual tips during the shooting drills. I hope you guys have more camps like that, I’ll attend as many as I can.
— Ava M. Camper
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.