Nike Water Polo Sports Academy at The Cate School
Improve Your Skills and Have Serious Fun
at Nike 5Meter Water Polo Camps
USSC is proud to partner with Cate School Water Polo Head Coach, Max Bergeson, this summer to bring you the Nike Water Polo Academy. Campers will train with talented coaches on the beautiful campus in Carpinteria, California.
The focus of the program will be in-water instruction on the fundamentals of the game. Fundamental passing, shooting, team and individual defense along with tactical discipline and individual aspects of the game will be discussed.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
- 5-6 hours daily water polo training, with 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- Daily emphasis on fundamentals, position training, drills and scrimmages
- Position Specific Training for Drivers, Shooters, Goalies & 2 Meter Offense & Defense
- All campers receive Nike Water Polo Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Max Bergeson
Max is currently the Head Water Polo Coach at Cate School and Santa Barbara Premier Water Polo Club. He has also coached the UC Berkeley Club Team, where the team took third place in the Collegiate Water Polo Association Nationals. During that time, he was named 2014 CWPA Nationals Coach of the Year.View Max Bergeson's Bio ⟩
Born in Portland, OR, Max began his water polo career in southern California. During his high school years, he was 2x Pacific Coast League MVP, 2x high school All-American and All-CIF, 2x Daily Pilot Dream Team Player of the Year, 2009 Slovakian International Tournament Offensive MVP, and member of the Carlsbad 2007 CIF SS Championship Team. In 2010, his SoCal club team took home the gold medal in Junior Olympics. Max moved on to play water polo at UC Berkeley, as a left handed attacker. As a freshman, he scored 15 goals in 24 matches with 14 assists, 13 steals, six field blocks and an ejection earned.
This year we are offering Overnight and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camps for boys and girls, ages 11-17, of all ability levels. See "More Camp Details" for further information.
OVERNIGHT CAMP AMENITIES
• 4 nights lodging • All meals
• Nightly recreational activities
• Nike Camp T-shirt
DAY CAMP AMENITIES
• Nike Camp T-shirt
• Camp hours: MON 10AM-5PM, TUE-WED 9AM-5PM, THURS 9AM-12:00PM
2019 CAMP DATES
• July 8-12Show Less See More Camp Details
Session is open to boys and girls, ages 11-17, of all abilities. A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do NOT require a doctor's signature. All required forms will be collected electronically through the Cate Sports Academy online system.
2019 SESSION SCHEDULES
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
SESSION I: JULY 8-12
- Overnight Camper Check-in: 9:00-9:30am on Monday.
- Day Camper Check-in: 10:00-10:30am on Monday.
- Check-out: 11:30am-12:00pm on Friday.
- Day Camper Schedule: Monday: 10:00am-5:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday: 9:00am-5:00pm, Friday: 9:00am-12:00pm
What's included in the fee?
- Daily instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Day campers: Lunch is provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive Nike Water Polo Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Extra Activities: Cate Sports Academy offers an exciting opportunity for athletes looking to enhance their camp experience. Participating campers will be woken up a little earlier than their peers and will have a 90-minute strength and conditioning session on Tuesday - Friday with our EXOS Certified Trainers. This program was implemented with the Cate School athletes this past year and not only have they seen increased performance, but it has also drastically reduced the number of injuries during season across all sports. EXOS can be added on for an additional fee.
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camper Registration Packets, emailed to all campers closer to the camp’s start date.
- Campers Per Room: 1 per room, roommate requests will be placed in the room next door.
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared
- Linens: Campers may choose to rent linens for their dorm room for $30/week or to bring their own linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: Please refer to the Camper Registration Packet. A/C availability depends on our specific dorm assignment.
AIRPORT PICK UP PRICES:
- Round Trip from LAX: $275
- Round Trip from SBA: $50
- Airbus pick up in Carpinteria, Round Trip: $25
If you are flying to Southern California, we suggest flying to the Santa Barbara airport (SBA) or the Los Angeles airport (LAX). SBA is a 30 minute drive and LAX is a two hour drive from Cate. We pick up and drop off campers from the Santa Barbara airport for a fee of $50 ($25 one way) and from LAX in Los Angeles for a fee of $275 ($138 one way). If your child is flying as an unaccompanied minor, please notify Jessica Seriano (email@example.com).
Driver Pick Up times:
- LAX – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 10am
- SBA – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 12pm
Driver Drop Off times:
- LAX – Flights departing Friday between 2pm – 4pm
- SBA – Flights departing Friday between 12pm – 2pm
For those taking the Santa Barbara Airbus (www.sbairbus.com) from LAX to Carpinteria, we pick up and drop off campers in Carpinteria for a fee of $25 ($12.50 one way). Once you have arranged your travel, please let Jessica Seriano (Jessica_seriano@cate.org) know.
Anyone needing assistance with booking travel, we recommend contacting SB Travel for assistance. Cate School has worked closely with Santa Barbara Travel Bureau for many years, and they will be able to help arrange travel for students attending Cate Summer Institute. A ticketing fee of $40 per ticket covers researching the best times and fares and monitoring any subsequent flight schedule changes. Please contact Andrew Seligman at (800)266-5452, firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEAM DISCOUNT: If five or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $25 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00-8:30am EXOS Strength and Condition Training (additional service, not included in camp tuition)
- 8:00-8:45am Breakfast
- 8:45-9:00am Day campers arrive
- 9:00-9:30am Roll call/Warm up
- 9:30-12:30pm Training session #1
- 12:30-1:30pm Lunch and rest
- 1:30-4:00pm Training session #2
- 4:00-5:00pm Swimming
- 5:00-5:30pm Day campers check-out
- 5:30-6:30pm Dinner
- 6:30-7:00pm Free Time
- 7:00-9:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights out
The Cate School
This top Southern California sports camp is held at the Cate School, located in beautiful Carpinteria, just south of Santa Barbara.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
This camp will be offered for the 1st time in 2019!