Nike Golf Camps, University of Illinois Champaign, Illinois
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Join Fighting Illini Men’s Golf Coach and accomplished touring professional, Mike Small, for a week of top-notch golf instruction at Nike Golf Camps at University of Illinois, a member of the storied Big Ten conference. Coach Small has been hosting this premier junior golf camp in Illinois for over a decade and has helped over one thousand campers improve their game.
Nike Golf campers stay on campus in air-conditioned dorms and travel a short distance to the University’s Orange and Blue Golf Courses, home to the Illini men’s and women’s golf teams, where they participate in daily instruction and staff-supervised course play. *This camp location is for boys only.
- Instruction by PGA professionals, college coaches and players
- Daily course play with Coach Small and his staff on University of Illinois Golf Courses
- Fun competitions including skills tests, scrambles and more
- Nike amenity package including a Nike hat, one dozen Nike golf balls, a camp workbook, Nike bag tag and other great prizes
- Fun, supervised off-course activities including include golf seminars, 'movie and pizza' night, swimming, guest speakers and more
- Video analysis and take-home DVD
- Campers reside in Bromley Hall on the Illinois campus
- Special Nike Camp tournament on last day
Orange and Blue Golf Courses
Participants in the Nike Junior Overnight Camp practice and play each day at the University’s Orange and Blue Golf Courses. Situated approximately six miles south of the campus, the two University of Illinois Golf Courses serve not only the UI golf teams, but also students, faculty, staff and the general public. Both courses feature rolling terrain, strategically-placed bunkers and water on several holes. The Orange Course, the more challenging of the two, has played host to several collegiate events including the 1988 Big Ten Championships and the 1991 Women’s Big Ten Championships.Meet your coaching staff
Head Coach Mike Small has brought national recognition to the Illinois golf program in his decade-plus as head coach. Small has guided the Illini to five straight Big Ten championships and has coached two NCAA individual champions in the past four years in Scott Langley (2010) and Thomas Pieters (2012). He also coached the 2012 Big Ten Player of the Year Luke Guthrie - who repeated as the individual Big Ten champion and broke the program's career stroke average record to complete an illustrious career - and 2013 Big Ten Player of the Year Thomas Pieters, who won the program's third-straight Big Ten medalist honors. That means Small has coached four Big Ten Players of the Year in addition to Scott Langley (2010) and James Lepp (2003).Read Full Bio
¨ Illini letter-winner, men’s golf, 1985-88
¨ Member of 1988 Big Ten Championship team
¨ 1988 Big Ten Championship Individual runner-up
¨ Named to 'All Big Ten' team
• Member of Illinois Golf Hall of Fame (inducted October 2013)
• Five-time United States PGA Cup team member (2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005)
• Three-time PGA Professional National Champion (2010, 2009, 2005)
• Two-time PGA Professional National Championship runner-up (2007, 2004)
• Two-time PGA Championship low PGA club professional (2011, 2007)
• Ten-time Illinois PGA champion (2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001)
• Made 15 of 31 PGA Tour cuts from 2003-13
• Four-time Illinois Open champion (2007, 2006, 2005, 2003)
• Participated in nine PGA Championships, making three cuts (2011, 2007, 2005)
• Three-time PGA of America National Professional Player of the Year (2010, 2007, 2006)
• Three-time U.S. Open participant (2007, 1998, 1994)
• Nationwide Tour member (1996-2001)
• Exempt member of PGA Tour (1998), with top finish a tie for ninth at the Bell Canadian Open
• Earned PGA Tour exemption by finishing in top 15 of earnings list on Nationwide Tour (1997)
• Won Monterey Open & Cleveland Open (1997)
• Led Illinois to the NCAA Championships in each of the last six years and eight times in the last 12 years.
• Coached NCAA champions Scott Langley (2010) and Thomas Pieters (2012).
• Coached Big Ten individual champions Luke Guthrie (2011-12) and Thomas Pieters (2013).
• Coached seven All-Americans to 12 total laurels: Charlie Danielson (2013, honorable mention), Thomas Pieters (2013, honorable mention; 2012, first team), Luke Guthrie (2012, second team; 2011, first team), Scott Langley (2011, honorable mention; 2010, first team; 2009, second team), Chris DeForest (2011, honorable mention), Patrick Nagle (2003, third team) and James Lepp (2003, second team; 2002, honorable mention).
• Six-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2002)
• Five-time NCAA Regional Coach of the Year (2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2003)
• His teams have won 26 All-Big Ten and 35 Academic All-Big Ten honors.
Coach Small will be assisted this summer by a number of college head and assistant coaches from prominent athletic programs, including:
- Ray Kralis, Head Men’s Golf Coach at Illinois State University
- Tom Porten, Head Men’s Golf Coach at Northern Illinois University
- Zack Zedrick, Head Men’s Golf Coach at Miami of Ohio
- Justin Fetcho, Asst. Men’s Golf Coach at U of Illinois
- Phil Zaccari, Head Boys Golf Coach at Effingham St. Anthony HS
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
During inclement weather, campers will use the brand-new, state-of-the-art practice facility at Illinois. This facility includes covered range stalls, indoor putting and chipping greens, video swing analysis and much more.
Check-In and Check-Out
Check-in will take place on Sunday at the cafeteria in Bromley Hall between 2:30 - 3:30 pm. Graduation will take place on Thursday at 2:00 pm at Bromley Hall and campers check-out around 2:30pm following graduation. Linens are not provided and roomates are 98% guaranteed with 2-3 campers housed per room.
Campers arriving to Willard Airport are to secure their own transportation to and from the airport. Preferred arrivals are between 10:00 am - 1:00 pm on Sunday and preferred departures are between 3:00 - 6:00 pm on Thursday.
The Overnight fee includes all golf instruction, green fees, evening activities, housing and meals. The Extended Day fee includes all of the above except housing and breakfast. Extended Day campers may participate in the evening activities.
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, Breakfast
- 8:00am Camp meeting at practice facility, skill demonstrations from staff focusing on key elements of the swing for that day
- 8:30am Instruction - campers rotate through stations working on putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play and the full swing
- Noon Lunch/relaxation
- 1:00pm Course play with staff (9-18 holes daily) focusing on strategy, shot selection, course management, rules and etiquette
- 6:00pm Dinner, free time, seminars, guest speakers
- 8:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights out