Snow Valley Basketball Schools Westmont College Santa Barbara, California
The Snow Valley Basketball Schools are a great place for any young basketball player who is looking to improve his/her skills, work hard, make new friends and have fun!
Since 1961, the Snow Valley Basketball Schools have been instructing kids on the fundamentals of basketball. As the longest running basketball school of its kind, you'll receive more instruction in the fundamentals and more chances to improve your skills than anywhere else in the world. This rigorous daily format includes fundamental instruction, clinics and team games that will leave each camper with renewed energy and enthusiasm.
- Take Your Game to the Next Level
- Gain Self-confidence through Basketball Success
- Create Lasting Friendships
- Rigorous Program
- Work Hard and Have Fun
The Snow Valley Basketball Schools are a great camp for all ages. If you are a high school basketball player, the Snow Valley Basketball Schools provides an incredible opportunity to improve your game, and if you are a younger player, it will be sure to help you develop the basic skills to help you make your team.
- Daily Instruction, lectures, and demonstrations on fundamentals
- Intense drills aimed at improving each camper's individual skill development and knowledge of the game
- Report Card and discussion of skills with a personal evaluation
- An amazing group of experienced high school, college, and professional coaches selected for their ability to teach the game
- Daily games against players of similar abilities - games until 10:00 at night!
The Snow Valley Basketball Schools return to our long standing host school at Westmont College for our entire camp schedule. We are excited to offer five different sessions for the serious basketball player.
Our host location is approximately 100 miles Northwest of Los Angeles, and within driving distance of many Northern California cities. Please note that all campers are responsible for their own ground transportation. The Santa Barbara Airport is closest in proximity to Westmont College.
The safe and secure campus, which includes scenic gardens, stone bridges, and stunning pathways, is an ideal place for camp. Campers reside on campus in the newly renovated Van Kampen Hall.Meet your coaching staff
A master teacher of the game of basketball, Coach Charles Sands has played and coached at both the high school and college levels. After playing as a point guard at California State College, Los Angeles, he spent eight years as the varsity basketball coach at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles. Continuing his coaching career at West Los Angeles College, he established the basketball program and continued to coach there for thirty-two years winning over 400 games. With his earnest love of the game and of teaching, Coach Sands has shared his vast knowledge with his peers and players alike over the course of his impressive career.Read Full Bio
For the past twenty-five years the coach has been the co-owner of Snow Valley Basketball School, one of the most prestigious teaching camps in America. Coaches and players from all over the country and the world have partaken of skills and techniques taught there. Many have gone on to successful careers at various levels of the game. With the high regard he has received, Coach Sands has been invited to travel, conduct coaching clinics and teach basketball in many states in the U.S and in Europe.
At West Los Angeles College, his teams competed in the State Playoffs, and, as a result, his coaching peers elected him Coach of the Year several times. In fact, because of his outstanding reputation throughout the state, he was ultimately elected to the California Community Coaches Hall of Fame.
Since his retirement and because he is passionate about helping basketball players take their skills to another level, especially their conditioning and shooting, he continues to coach. With his incredible understanding of the game, his ability to analyze player's strengths, as well as his communication skills, Coach Charles Sands will always be a valuable asset to the game of basketball.
Camp Code: BVXRSV
Mastering the fundamentals of your game...At Snow Valley Basketball Schools, we offer the greatest array of teaching talent anywhere to help you become a better player. Each season we emphasize the following fundamentals:
- Playing under control
- Individual Defense - stance, movement, open court vs. dribble
- Individual Offense - moving without the ball, pass receiving, initial moves with the ball
- Individual Position - classes each day
- Shooting Fundamentals - including the jump shot
- Rebounding Skills - ball side and help side
- Extended Defense - help and recover, closing out, defend post and flash post
- Extended Offense - passing, receiving, perimeter, inside play
- Transition - defensive recovery
- Open Court Work - guards and forwards
- Cut Throat - 4 on 4 instruction
Snow Valley Basketball programs feature staff and players whose own high school and college coaches were important in their basketball development, so they know how to help you achieve your basketball goals. Snow Valley treats each player as an individual...A Personal Player Report Card will be kept on your camper throughout the week, and given to them at the conclusion of camp. This report card will note particular strengths and weaknesses, and offer suggestions for individual improvement once they have left Snow Valley.
Daily game competition against other players of similar age and ability levels will be scheduled. Every participant will play a minimum of one half of every game. In addition to games, a minimum of nineteen clinics concerning individual and team fundamentals will be presented during the week long session. Drills are a big part of each clinic. We design our program to have an eight to one player to coach ratio and guarantee your son or daughter will receive an excellent week of BASKETBALL INVOLVEMENT.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 6:00 Point Guard & Post Clinic
- 7:00 Breakfast
- 8:00 Organization and Warm-up
- 8:45 Clinic - Offense
- 9:35 Clinic - Defense
- 10:35 Clinic - Shooting
- 11:30 Team Practice
- 12:30 Lunch
- 1:15 Clinic - Offense
- 2:30 Central Division Games
- 3:45 Eastern/Central Division Games/Break for Western
- 4:45 Dinner
- 6:00 Organization & Individual Athleticism
- 6:30 Clinic - Defense
- 8:00-10:45 Western Division Games
• Check-in: Sunday; 1pm-3pm - Van Kampen Hall (First meal: Dinner)
• No Lunch on first day - campers should come dressed and ready to play. After registration, campers will report to gym at 3:30pm.
• Boys Check-out: Thursday; 4pm (Last meal: Lunch)
• Girls Check-out: Thursday; 11am (Last meal: Breakfast)
Weekend Offensive Skills Program Notes and Information:
• Friday 12pm: Weekend Camp check-in (First meal: Dinner)
• Sunday 11am: camp closes (Last meal: Breakfast)