Snow Valley Basketball Schools Westmont College Santa Barbara, California
The tradition continues at the Snow Valley Basketball Schools! These programs are a great place for any young basketball player who is looking to improve his/her skills, work hard, make new friends and have fun!
Since 1961, the Snow Valley Basketball Schools have been instructing kids on the fundamentals of basketball. As the longest running basketball school of its kind, you'll receive more instruction in the fundamentals and more chances to improve your skills than anywhere else in the world. This rigorous daily format includes fundamental instruction, clinics and team games that will leave each camper with renewed energy and enthusiasm.
- Take Your Game to the Next Level
- Gain Self-confidence through Basketball Success
- Create Lasting Friendships
- Rigorous Program
- Work Hard and Have Fun
The Snow Valley Basketball Schools are a great camp for all ages. If you are a high school basketball player, the Snow Valley Basketball Schools provides an incredible opportunity to improve your game, and if you are a younger player, it will be sure to help you develop the basic skills to help you make your team.
- Daily Instruction, lectures, and demonstrations on fundamentals
- Intense drills aimed at improving each camper's individual skill development and knowledge of the game
- Report Card and discussion of skills with a personal evaluation
- An amazing group of experienced high school, college, and professional coaches selected for their ability to teach the game
- Daily games against players of similar abilities - games until 10:00 at night!
The Snow Valley Basketball Schools return to our long standing host school at Westmont College for our entire camp schedule. We are excited to offer five different sessions for the serious basketball player.
Our host location is approximately 100 miles Northwest of Los Angeles, and within driving distance of many Northern California cities. Please note that all campers are responsible for their own ground transportation. The Santa Barbara Airport is closest in proximity to Westmont College.
The safe and secure campus, which includes scenic gardens, stone bridges, and stunning pathways, is an ideal place for camp. Campers reside on campus in the newly renovated Van Kampen Hall.Meet your coaching staff
Coach Carlson has been involved with the Snow Valley Basketball School for over 30 years, now serving as Co-Director. He currently also serves as Head Varsity Girls Basketball Coach at El Dorado HS in Placentia, CA.
Coach Middleton served as a college Assistant Coach for 2 years and High School Boys Varsity Head Basketball Coach for over 15 years, with over 220 wins. He has been on the staff of Snow Valley Basketball School for 22 years. Served as a counselor, coach or clinician at the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Basketball Camp, Wooden Basketball Camp, the UCLA Basketball Camp, and ran successful day camp for 13 years. Coach Middleton holds a national certification from American Sport Education Program and the National Federation of Interscholastic High School Associations.
Pete Rivas, founder of The Works Sports Academy, brings an impressive basketball teaching resume and over thirty years of coaching experience to our camps. Coach Rivas is a former Division I assistant coach and head high school coach.
His programs with The Works help level the playing field in an environment of elite and over-trained players. Pete and his staff have trained many high profile high school programs both in and out of season.
In addition to The Works, Coach Rivas has been a mainstay at some of the premier camps in the country, including the Snow Valley Basketball Schools in Santa Barbara, CA since 1996. Among the many fine athletes he’s worked with, Pete has trained players currently attending Vanderbilt, USC, UConn, Boise State, LMU, and Iowa State. Coach Rivas has drawn players from all over the world to his camps and clinics and continues to expand his camp offerings within the Nike Basketball Camp family.
Camp Code: BVXRSV
Mastering the fundamentals of your game...At Snow Valley Basketball Schools, we offer the greatest array of teaching talent anywhere to help you become a better player. Each season we emphasize the following fundamentals:
- Playing under control
- Individual Defense - stance, movement, open court vs. dribble
- Individual Offense - moving without the ball, pass receiving, initial moves with the ball
- Individual Position - classes each day
- Shooting Fundamentals - including the jump shot
- Rebounding Skills - ball side and help side
- Extended Defense - help and recover, closing out, defend post and flash post
- Extended Offense - passing, receiving, perimeter, inside play
- Transition - defensive recovery
- Open Court Work - guards and forwards
- Cut Throat - 4 on 4 instruction
Snow Valley Basketball programs feature staff and players whose own high school and college coaches were important in their basketball development, so they know how to help you achieve your basketball goals. Snow Valley treats each player as an individual...A Personal Player Report Card will be kept on your camper throughout the week, and given to them at the conclusion of camp. This report card will note particular strengths and weaknesses, and offer suggestions for individual improvement once they have left Snow Valley.
Daily game competition against other players of similar age and ability levels will be scheduled. Every participant will play a minimum of one half of every game. In addition to games, a minimum of nineteen clinics concerning individual and team fundamentals will be presented during the week long session. Drills are a big part of each clinic. We design our program to have an eight to one player to coach ratio and guarantee your son or daughter will receive an excellent week of BASKETBALL INVOLVEMENT.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 6:00 Point Guard & Post Clinic
- 7:00 Breakfast
- 8:00 Organization and Warm-up
- 8:45 Clinic - Offense
- 9:35 Clinic - Defense
- 10:35 Clinic - Shooting
- 11:30 Team Practice
- 12:30 Lunch
- 1:15 Clinic - Offense
- 2:30 Central Division Games
- 3:45 Eastern/Central Division Games/Break for Western
- 4:45 Dinner
- 6:00 Organization & Individual Athleticism
- 6:30 Clinic - Defense
- 8:00-10:45 Western Division Games
• Check-in: Sunday; 1pm-3pm - Van Kampen Hall (First meal: Dinner)
• No Lunch on first day - campers should come dressed and ready to play. After registration, campers will report to gym at 3:30pm.
• Boys Check-out: Thursday; 4pm (Last meal: Lunch)
• Girls Check-out: Thursday; 11am (Last meal: Breakfast)
Weekend Offensive Skills Program Notes and Information:
• Friday 12pm: Weekend Camp check-in (First meal: Dinner)
• Sunday 11am: camp closes (Last meal: Breakfast)