MIT Nike Tennis Camp Cambridge, Massachusetts
The Nike Tennis Camp at M.I.T is back again this summer! This day camp is designed for young athletes to come and take their tennis game to the next level. Players receive first class instruction, including 'Stroke of the Morning,' drills, and match play.
Located just across from Boston on the banks of the Charles River in Cambridge, M.I.T. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) is well known as the finest science and engineering university in the world. Our goal at the Nike Tennis Camp at M.I.T. is to give players the opportunity to hit thousands of balls, improve their technique, and be challenged by some of the best players in their peer group. Campers will work hard, make new friends and have a lot of fun.
Program Offerings for 2014!
Day (9:15am-3:30pm) and Extended Day (9:15am-5pm) programs offering Math/Science Classes taught by MIT student and free swim time at the MIT pool! See Details Tab for more information.
- Daily instruction from teaching pro, Dave Hagymas, and his experienced staff
- We offer a "10 and Under Tennis" program, featuring smaller courts and lighter, lower-bouncing balls
- Safe, healthy and fun environment
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and constant supervision
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
The beautiful M.I.T. campus offers outstanding tennis facilities. Campers use 20 outdoor tennis courts, ball machines and indoor courts in case of rain.Meet your coaching staff
Dave Hagymas is the varsity men's tennis coach at M.I.T. Hagymas returned to the collegiate ranks after serving as a private instructor in Lower Burrell, Pa.Read Full Bio
Dave Hagymas, a four-time NEWMAC Coach of the Year, enters his ninth season at the helm of MIT men’s varsity tennis program. In his time with the Engineers, he has directed the team the NEWMAC Championship trips to the NCAA Tournament in each of his seven seasons. During his tenure at MIT he has compiled an overall record of 102-30 in dual matches, with his teams going undefeated in NEWMAC play at 35-0.
Prior to his arrival at MIT, Hagymas was an assistant coach at Duke University from 1992-04. In his first season with the Blue Devils, he worked with the women’s team before beginning an 11-year stint with the men’s squad. During his tenure with the men’s team, he helped guide the Blue Devils to a top-10 national ranking each season and nine Atlantic Coast Conference
(ACC) championship titles. In 1997, Hagymas was named the Regional Assistant Coach of the Year and then earned national accolades in 2001.
Hagymas graduated from Coastal Carolina University, formerly University of South Carolina at Coastal, in 1989 with a Bachelor of Science degree in physical education. He earned Big South All-Conference honors while playing for the Chanticleers.
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXDMI)
This year we are offering eight weeks of day camp for kids ages 6-18 of all abilities. Campers have the choice of participating in an Extended Day (9:15am-5:00pm), Full Day program (9:15am-3:30pm) or a Half Day program (9:15am-12:30pm). In addition to our tennis program, we are also offering an hour and a half of swimming (at the MIT pool) and/or Math/Science classes (taught by MIT students) as a part of some of our camp programs.
The Math/Science program is open to campers age 8 and older only. The classes will be hour and a half sessions each day and there will be different fun and challenging projects each week. Campers attending multiple weeks will have a new curriculum each session. Campers in the classroom will be divided into small groups based on their age and ability. Sample topics include: Math, Engineering, Alternative Energy and Physics.
Campers have a choice of five different programs:
- Half Day: (9:15am-12:30pm) $275 (Tennis only)
- Full Day: (9:15am-3:30pm) $395 (Tennis only)
- Full Day: (9:15am-3:30pm) $475 (Tennis: 9:00am-12:00pm + *Math/Science Class: 1:30-3:00pm)
- Extended Day: (9:15am-5:00pm) $475 (Tennis: 9:00am-3:30pm + **Swimming: 3:30-5:00pm)
- Extended Day: (9:15am-5:00pm) $495 (Tennis:9:00am-12:30pm + *Math/Science Class: 1:30-3:00pm + **Swimming: 3:00-5:00pm)
* Math/Science class taught by MIT students
** Campers swim in the MIT pool
10 and Under Tennis:
In addition, we offer a “10 and Under Tennis” (Half Day or Full Day) program, featuring the USTA’s successful new teaching format. This is an exciting new way kids 10 and under are learning to play tennis as well as compete. The courts are smaller and balls are low-compression so they are easier to hit, allowing kids to get to the ball and develop optimal swing patterns. It all makes it easy and fun for them to hit, play and score from the start, while developing skills that will last a lifetime. Please note: This program is optional and younger campers may opt to play regular tennis on the full courts. For more information on “10 and Under Tennis” programs nationwide, Click Here to check out the USTA website.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
Check-in and Check-out times
Check-in: 8:45-9:15am on Monday for all campers at the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. Follow signs for check-in.
Check-out: All campers: Thursday at the end of their respective session at the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble.
Graduation ceremony will take place at the end of the half day session (12:30pm) on Thursday with all campers.
Daily Program Schedule
• Extended Day Camp runs 9:15am-5:00pm (Monday through Thursday).
• Full Day (Tennis Only) Camp runs 9:15am-3:30pm (Monday through Thursday).
• Full Day (Tennis with Math/Science) Camp runs 9:15am-3:30pm (Monday through Thursday).
• Half Day Camp runs daily from 9:15am-12:30pm (Monday through Thursday).
• Lunch is NOT provided. Extended Day and Full day campers should bring their own lunch daily or money to purchase on campus. Half Day campers leave before lunch.
Campers play on 20 outdoor tennis courts. In case of rain, camp will move to the indoor courts.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. PLEASE NOTE: Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:45am-9:15am Check-in at the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble
- 9:15-9:45am Technique & Conditioning
- 10:00am-12:30pm Drills & Instruction
- 12:30-1:30pm Lunch Break
- 1:30-3:30 Tennis Match Play, both singles and doubles
- *1:30-3:00 Optional Math/Science classes (pick up at 3:30pm for full day, 5:00pm for extended day)
- *3:30-5:00pm Optional swimming and recreation (pick up at 5:00pm)