Nike Tennis Camp at University of San Diego San Diego, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Bill and Shelly Scott have combined with the University of San Diego (USD) Women’s Tennis Coach, Sherri Stephens, to take their long running Nike La Jolla Tennis Camp to the University of San Diego. USD Nike Tennis Camp boasts superior tennis facilities, weather, food service, and location. Bill, Shelly, and Sherri have 70+ combined years of directing tennis camps to ensure a positive tennis experience for all who attend.
"Come work hard, improve your game and make new friends. We focus on sportsmanship, individual improvement and having tons of fun both on and off the court… all in our family atmosphere." - Coach Bill Scott
The USD campus, built in Spanish Renaissance style, is situated on 180 acres of mesa overlooking San Diego’s beautiful Mission Bay. It has been rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. The USD campus provides a safe, secure environment, and add an exciting cultural dimension to the total camp experience. Residence campers really absorb the college environment, since they are staying in the college dorms and dining at the Student Life Pavilion, where all college students eat regularly throughout the semester. We always incorporate a tour of the campus during one of our lunches, so that the kids have an idea of the size of the campus and beauty they are surrounded by!
Multi-Week Sport Camp Experience!
International or domestic campers seeking a multi-week sport camp experience, can easily combine any of our individual tennis camp sessions at this location with a weekend stay over to create the right camp program to fit your needs!
Dartfish video analysis offered at this camp! See details tab for more info.
- Daily instruction from top teaching pro, Bill Scott, and his experienced staff
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Fun off-court evening activities for overnight campers
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
- Experience campus life and create lasting friendships
The USD West Tennis courts
The “Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center”, located on the West side of the USD campus, is home to the USD women’s and men’s tennis teams, recently went through a complete renovation of its eight- court facility at the west end of the USD campus. The site received a new concrete substructure and surface; new chain link fences with screening; a new center walkway with individual court access; a new entry way with nearby public facilities; a new tournament desk area; and additional bleacher seating. The facilities are used for the USD summer camps, so that they directly experience the professionalism of a college team!
Bill is well known in Southern California as the former Director of Tennis at The Bishop’s School in La Jolla and is currently the Director of Tennis at Santa Catalina School in Monterey. Over the years Bill has coached more that 1400 High School tennis matches while over 9500 juniors have attended his tennis camps. Bill was recently inducted into the San Diego Hall of Champions Coaching Legends and is a former men’s 35 singles national champion.
Sherri has been the Head Women’s Tennis Coach at USD since 1984 and has since transitioned her teams into a national NCAA Division I contending program. Sherri grew up in Arizona where she was a nationally ranked junior player before competing at the University of Arizona. In 1999, Sherri coached Zuzana Lesenarova to an NCAA Division I National Championship. In addition, her teams have reached the NCAA tournament 11 times and have been ranked as high as #14 in the nation.
Shelly was also a nationally ranked junior player ranked as high as #2 in doubles and top 25 in singles. Many colleges recruited Shelly before she decided upon the University of Virginia where she was the first recipient of a women’s full tennis scholarship. Shelly has been teaching tennis since she graduated from college in such picturesque places as Maui, Hawaii, San Diego, Ca. and Kalispell, Montana. Shelly is currently a tennis professional at Chamisal Tennis and Fitness Club on the Monterey Peninsula where she is in charge of the Junior Development Program.
(Camp Code: TNXRSY)
This year we are offering five weeks of Junior Overnight and Day camp (8:30am-4:00pm) for kids ages 9-18 of all skill levels. In addition to the "All Skills" program offerede each week, our fifth session also offers a High School Program geared towards players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team. Also, for younger campers, we will offer lighter, lower-bouncing balls (optional)
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
Dartfish video analysis will be used during the camp to analyze and improve your strokes. See your strokes compared to a top playing professional! Your Dartfish Mediabook will be posted to a private player locker on Dartfish.tv and reviewed with you by the staff at camp (click here for an example). You will receive a printout showing key positions with corrective comments. After camp, these Dartfish interactive analyses are available for purchase. For $19.95, the package includes:
- Stroke Analysis: your Dartfish Mediabook contains videos of your strokes, plus side-by-side comparison with a pro, along with comments.
- Pro Stroke Library: one month access to Pro Stroke Library, featuring hundreds of strokes in both real and high speed.
- Camp highlights video*: This video of camp activities and friends all set to music will be something everyone will want to have and keep forever. (*Only offered at participating locations.)
NOTE: Regardless of whether you purchase the post-camp package, all campers will be filmed at camp, see their mediabook, and go home with a printout.
• All Campers: Sunday 12:30-2:00pm in front of the Mission Crossroads building. Looks for signs to Nike Tennis Camps to direct you.
• Campers should come dressed to play as we will head straight to the courts after check-in.
• Day Campers will depart that afternoon at 4:00pm.
• Graduation: Friday at 11:30am in front of the Mission Crossroads building.
• Check-out: Immediately following the graduation ceremony at the dorms.
Daily Program Schedule
• Day campers should be dropped every day (except first day) by 8:30am at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
• Pick up time will be 4:00pm each day (except last day) at the courts.
• A more complete schedule will be given to you upon check-in.
• Meals: Lunch is included for all Day Campers.
Dorms and Meals
Overnight campers will reside in the college dorms on campus and dine at the Student Life Pavilion. Campers stay 2 per room and are assigned rooms based on requests and then by age and gender. • There is no A/C in the dorms, but they stay cool.
Evening activities may include Beach and Boardwalk, Sports Night, Swimming, BBQ, Camp Dance.
Weekend stayovers are available at this location between sessions 1 & 2 , 3 & 4 , and 4& 5 only. Cost: $200. Includes meals, housing, and supervision.
Designated Airport: San Diego International
Transportation is not provided to/from the airport to camp. However, if your camper is flying in to San Diego International Airport the Director or a staff member will meet your son/daughter at the airport and arrange shuttle transportation to camp and then back to the airport on the return. The cost is $27 each way. Please call 858-382-6453 to make reservation and to provide your child's travel itinerary. Please make check payable to “Bill Scott” and bring to camp.
If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there may be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Rise and Shine/Breakfast
- 8:30am Day Campers arrive. On Court Drills begin.
- Noon-1:30pm Lunch/Activities
- 1:30pm-4:00pm Team competition/Match Play
- 4:00pm Day campers depart
- 5:30pm-6:30pm Dinner
- 6:30pm-9:30pm Evening activity (Ping Pong Tournament, Foosball Tournament, Ice Cream Social, Movie Night)
- 10:00pm Lights out