Coach's Corner | Soccer Tip
Presented By: Preparation Tip by Nike Soccer Camps
Soccer Tip: Preparing for Team Tryouts
Summer is coming to an end and our last Nike Soccer Camp of the summer has ended. Now it is time to put your new acquired skills to the test. Team tryouts are coming up and we want to make sure that our past, present, and future campers are at the top of their game. We know that tryouts can be physically and mentally challenging for athletes. Below are a few tips to help overcome these challenges.
You also might benefit and improve by reading how to refine your first touch.
- Every training session leading up to the tryout is important.
- Do not slack off. You don’t have to wear yourself out, but make sure to be training at a high level and speed. This will eliminate rust.
- Preparation is what sets athletes apart.
- You must believe in your ability to perform a skill in order to be successful.
- Approach the tryout with confidence. If you begin to doubt yourself, it will harm your confidence and you will not be able to build it back up again.
- It is important to be both mentally and physically confident when playing sports.
- There are likely going to be some players who are older and more experienced than you are at the tryout. Don’t let this intimidate you. Play YOUR game.
- A higher level of competition should be looked at as a challenge. This falls in the same line as confidence.
- Don’t worry about other players. Have faith in your own ability and try your hardest.
- Let go of fear. Don’t worry about negative outcomes. Focus on the good.
- Don’t be afraid to play physical or you will be overly timid.
- If you make a mistake, don’t dwell on it. Pick yourself up and make a play.
- You don’t have to be perfect. Be efficient.
- Mistakes are inevitable and always happen in sports. They should only be seen as learning opportunities.