Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camp, The Quarry
Improve your game and have serious fun at
Nike Junior Golf Camps
Competitive junior golfers are invited to San Antonio, Texas for a golf-intensive experience at our advanced short game camp. The staff is led by Duke University Coach, Jon Whithaus, and other college coaches and players. This program runs from June 3rd - 5th, 2018.
Whether it be junior golf, collegiate golf, or professional golf, the best players are the ones who consistently maintain a high level of efficiency and success in all aspects of the short game. Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camps offer evaluation, analysis, instruction and training from our highly successful instructional staff. The specialized short game work our staff members have done with their students has helped to win tournaments at the highest levels. Our staff has worked with many PGA Tour Professionals that have achieved a significant number of professional victories, including Major Championships, as well as several NCAA National Champions, and dozens of NCAA All-Americans.
The Short Game Camp in San Antonio offers a day program that includes golf instruction, lunch, course play, dinner and evening activities. This option runs from 8:30am-9:00pm (schedule varies each day).
All golf activities take place at The Quarry Golf Course, which is equipped with a top-notch short game facility and driving range.
- Low student to coach ratio of 4:1
- High-intensity instruction - ball control testing, putting, chipping, and bunker training
- Training and practice on all scoring scenarios within 125 yards
- Discussions on long-term development, college golf, goal setting and tournament preparation
- Overnight accommodations at University of Incarnate Word, minutes from The Quarry
- Camper amenity package including a Nike hat, drawstring bag, one dozen SRIXON golf balls, camp workbook and graduation certificate
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Jon Whithaus
Jon is in his third season as the Assistant Women's Golf Coach at Duke University and also owns and operates Elite Level Golf. He has extensive experience working with players to help them to move from one level to the next level in their careers. He has worked in various capacities with amateur players and professional players, having experience with players who have competed on The European Tour, The LPGA Tour, The Symetra Tour, The Challenge Tour and The Sunshine Tour.View Jon Whithaus's Bio ⟩
Jon has had a very successful collegiate coaching career over the past two decades, previously as the Associate Head Men's Golf Coach at Duke University (4 years) and the Head Men's Golf Coach at Ohio Wesleyan University (12 years). His teams have reached the NCAA Championship in 16 of those years, highlighted by 9 top-10 finishes. His teams have won over 60 tournament titles throughout his career. Whithaus is the only coach in NCAA Division I to coach both a men's (2011) and women's (2016) program into the match play semifinals of the NCAA Championship.
Lead Instructor Dan Ruyle
Dan Ruyle is in his first season as assistant for the men's golf team at ECU after 15 years as head men’s and women’s golf coach at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas.View Dan's Bio ⟩
Ruyle led the Pirates to eight NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2013-15 with the men. The women’s team finished third in the nation in 2008. His teams won five conference championships and he was the conference coach of the year four times. He is past chair of the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship Committee.
Instructor Carla Spenkoch
Carla is currently director of golf and head women’s golf coach at Trinity University. She also serves as an LPGA instructor at The Quarry Golf Course, a position she has held for over 15 years.View Carla's Bio ⟩
Before joining The Quarry, Coach Spenkoch was employed in the same capacity by Precision Golf Center, also in San Antonio. She has been named as one of the Top Texas Women Instructors by Texas Golf for Women magazine, honoring the 20 most qualified teachers in the state.
Spenkoch graduated from the the University of Texas at Austin in 1977 with a bachelor’s degree in physical education. She served as captain of the Lady Longhorn golf team during the 1975 and 1976 seasons, and was voted in the squad’s most valuable athlete in 1976. Also in 1976, Coach Spenkoch captured the Austin, Texas, City Women’s Amateur Championship.
Instructor Sean Etheredge
Sean serves as head men's golf coach at Trinity University alongside his duties as director of instruction at The Quarry. He holds certifications as a Stack and Tilt Network Instructor, a Titleist Performance Institute Certified Golf Fitness Instructor and as a Class A PGA Professional.View Sean's Bio ⟩
A well-know teaching professional in the San Antonio golf community, Coach Etheredge has taught the game to participants at all levels.
Prior to joining the Trinity staff, Coach Etheredge served as director of instruction for the Alamo City Golf Trail in San Antonio. He created player development and retention strategies throughout the San Antonio municipal golf system. Among the programs were Get Golf Ready, Junior Golf Academy, and the Alamo City Golf Trail League series.
Your desires to improve your scoring ability and consistently move up the scoreboard can be reached through the extensive analysis, evaluation, and instruction that you receive during this program. Not only will you truly have an understanding of your strengths and weaknesses from inside 125 yards, but you'll leave the short game camp with a clear understanding how to continue your training for years to come.Show Less See More Camp Details
- Measure and analyze the putting stroke of each participant on SAM or TOMI
- Discuss the printout of each participant's putting stroke and compare with the best
- Discuss Find and agree on drills and exercises to improve
- Practice distance and directional control (Finding the speed of the greens and calibrating square)
- Ball control testing with focus on spin rates
- Trajectory control
- Distance control
- Distribution patterns
CHIPPING, PITCHING AND BUNKER
- Discussing the fundamentals of the short game
- Understanding and utilizing the bounce of wedges
- Finding a repeatable technique for chipping, pitching and bunker shots
- Controlling the spin of the ball
- Adjusting to different types of lies, grasses and sands
- Club selection for various situations
- Choosing your landing spots
- Reading the green, grain, slope and speed
- The mental fundamentals of scoring
- The characteristics of the best putting strokes on tour
- Effective practice habits & training to score
- The college recruiting processes & what gains the attention of college coaches
- Training & practice away from the golf course
- The different types of strokes: square to square vs rotation and arc
- Adjusting to different grasses, grain and speeds of greens
- Green reading and pre-shot routine
CHECK-IN AND CHECK-OUT
Please refer to the registration packet for check-in and check-out details.
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
Nike Golf Camps does not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. The packet we send to registered campers in the spring offers suggestions on shuttle services for each specific camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30-9:30am Registration, introduction, orientation meeting
- 9:30-11:45am Group stations - putting, chipping, pitching, distance wedges
- 12:00-12:45pm Lunch and break
- 12:45-3:00pm Group stations - putting, pitching, bunker, green reading
- 3:00-3:45pm Discussions - Effective practice habits, training to score, college golf
- 3:45-6:00pm Group stations - chipping, pitching, distance wedges, putting
- 6:00-7:00pm Dinner
- 7:00-8:00pm Competitions/contests
- 8:00-9:00pm Group discussions
- 9:00pm Drive back to campus
- 10:00pm Lights out and dorm-check
The Quarry Golf Course
The Quarry is San Antonio's number 1 public, daily fee golf course. The links-style golf course and practice facilities grant campers a top-notch learning platform.
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.