Macalester College Nike Volleyball Camp
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
Come elevate your game this summer at our popular volleyball camp in the Twin Cities! This Minnesota volleyball camp offers All Skills and Advanced Camps for girls looking to improve their technique and have lots of fun.
Located near Minneapolis, our summer camp at Macalester College provides kids with top notch instruction in a safe and friendly environment.
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- 6-7 hours daily instruction, with 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Instruction from collegiate coaching staff and players
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Sarah Graves
Sarah Graves ’04 returned to her alma mater as Macalester’s head volleyball coach. A former standout player and assistant coach for the Scots, Graves spent the past two seasons as the head coach at Denison University in Granville, Ohio.View Sarah Graves's Bio ⟩
“We are thrilled to have Sarah return to Macalester to lead our volleyball program,” Chandler said. “She displayed all of the tools and characteristics of an outstanding coach while serving as an assistant here, and that potential shined through during her two years as Denison’s head coach. Sarah will be an excellent leader for our student-athletes, and we look forward to seeing where she can take our program in the years to come.”
In her two years at Denison, Graves posted an overall record of 25-31, including a 9-7 mark in the North Coast Athletic Conference. In 2015, the Big Red was 14-14 and advanced to the NCAC Tournament with a 5-3 record in league play while also earning the AVCA Team Academic Award. This past fall Graves led her squad to the semifinals of the NCAC Tournament and had three of her student-athletes receive NCAC All-Conference honors.
In addition to her coaching duties, Graves taught three courses, including a History and Philosophy of Physical Education and Sport class. She chaired the event committee for the National Girls and Women in Sports Day, and was a member of the Denison Black Faculty Caucus.
Prior to coaching at Denison, Graves was an assistant coach at Macalester for six seasons. She helped to coordinate the program’s recruiting, practice and game management, and also worked with the liberos and defensive specialists. While at Macalester, Graves spent four years as the Assistant Athletic Director for Recruiting, collaborating with the athletics department and admissions to refine the recruiting process.
A 2004 graduate of Macalester with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications and Media Studies, Graves was a four-year starter for the Scots’ volleyball team. She played on the 2000 squad that went 22-8 and reached the semifinals of the MIAC playoffs, and earned All-MIAC honors in 2001. A setter and right side hitter, Graves ranks third on Macalester’s all-time list for block assists (218), third in service aces (173), fourth in assists (2,167) and eighth in digs (1,026). A three-time captain, she also was named the team’s MVP in 2001.
After Macalester, Graves earned a Master’s degree in Communication from the University of Delaware, where she also served as a graduate assistant for the Blue Hens’ volleyball program for two seasons.
“I would like to thank Kim Chandler and the search committee for providing me with this opportunity to return to Macalester and lead the program that has given me so much over the years,” Graves said. “I am energized at the thought of bringing my passion and experience back to Macalester volleyball, and I am motivated to move this program and its student-athletes forward to achieve at a higher level. With the outstanding support from the athletics department and the administration at Macalester, I am confident that we can reach our goals and build a successful program.”
This year we are offering an All Skills Camp with a Day (9:00am-3:00pm) option for girls, ages 10-18, of all skill levels. We are also offering an Advanced Camp with Overnight and Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) option for girls, ages 14-18, with 2-3 years of competitive experience. See "More Camp Details" for further information.
2018 CAMP DATES
- July 16-19 (All Skills)
- July 20-22 (Advanced)
CAMP PROGRAM OFFERINGS
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
This program is geared towards girls, ages 10-18, of all skill levels. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play.
This program is geared towards girls, ages 14-18, with 2-3 years of high school or club level experience. Camp will focus on position play, advanced team techniques, physical conditioning, and a higher level of competitive play. Campers will have leadership and guest speaker sessions focused on getting ready for college level play.
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
2018 SESSION SCHEDULES & INFORMATION
All skills (Day Camp): JULY 16-19
- Daily Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-3:00pm
- Check-in: 8:30am-9:00am on Monday at the Leonard Athletic Center Gym
- Check-out: 3:00pm on Thursday at the Leonard Athletic Center Gym
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Please bring a sack lunch each day.
Advanced (Overnight & Extended Day): JULY 20-22
- Check-in: 8:00-9:30am on Friday at the Leonard Athletic Center Gym
- Check-out: Graduation is at 3:00pm on Sunday. Parents are invited to attend. Check out will take place immediately after.
- Extended Day Camper Schedule: Friday-Saturday: 9:00am-9:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am-3:30pm
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers' quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $15 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPTMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Indoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
- Dorm: Turk Hall
- Campers Per Room: 2
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared on floor, there is a small sink in each room.
- Linens: Not provided
- Air Conditioning: No, please bring a fan
Nike Volleyball Camps does not provide transportation from airports, train stations or bus depots. If you have a child flying to camp, please arrange a shuttle or taxi service. The closest airport to campus is Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
OVERNIGHT CAMP SAMPLE DAILY SCHEDULE
- 7:30am-8:30am Breakfast
- 9:00am-11:30am Training Session I: Serve Receive and Team Defense Concepts
- 11:30am-1:30pm Lunch, rest
- 2:00-4:30pm Training Session II: Positional Stations
- 5:00-6:00pm Dinner and rest
- 6:30-7:00pm Classroom Session
- 7:00-9:00pm Training Session III: Team Play
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers depart. Overnight Campers to rooms, free time.
- 11:00pm Lights out, Bed Checks
Macalester College's beautiful campus is located in Saint Paul, Minnesota, just outside of Minneapolis.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
July 25, 2016: Learned a lot and got a lot of good feedback from coaches. I also think this camp is great at making sure there is a lot of space to play and plenty of coaches per player. Great experience again this year!
— Jillian W. Camper
Prepare to work
July 30, 2015: My daughter worked hard all week! She learned some new skills and improved upon some old ones. Prepare to work!
— Judy T. Parent
July 29, 2015: Overall it was a good camp and the work on specific skills was very helpful.
— Maria M. Parent
July 27, 2015: My two daughters, who have had some volleyball experience through park and rec programs, both really enjoyed the camp, and felt their serving and setting skills really improved during the course of the week. And, they both had a great time at the camp in general.
— Jennifer K. Parent
Fun and challenging
I would recommend this camp to other people because it was fun and challenging but at the same time the coaches worked us hard and pushed us to do our best.
— Camper '14
Focused on skills
I wouldn't recommend it to friends unless they knew it was strictly about skills. Most of my friends are like me in that they value being part of a team.
— Camper '14
Learned new skills
It was my favorite volleyball camp. They taught me so many things new and how to improve the stuff I already knew. They made the camp fun. They gave us a lot of time to practice each skill.
— Camper '14
I highly recommend this camp! Staff is very friendly and helpful. Perfect instruction for my beginner level daughter. Also, it is nice for the beginner students to see the more "advanced" in action for inspiration!
— Parent '14
This camp is well organized with a knowledgeable staff. Campers are not grouped by age they are grouped by ability, which makes for a more positive experience.
— Parent '13
If your child loves volleyball then you should go to this camp. It has great coaches and it was a fun experience for my child. She enjoyed the friends she made and the skills she learned.
— Parent '13
I was so impressed at how well the coaches knew my daughter's strengths and weaknesses; my daughter loved the entire experience, start to finish.
— Parent '12
So much fun!
My daughter loved this camp. Her skills improved throughout the camp through fantastic feedback from the coaches and we loved the written feedback at the end. She made great friends, as well. We would come back to this camp again next year! So much fun!
— Parent '12