Nike 5meter Water Polo Camp at UC Santa Cruz
2023 Dates & Prices Now Available!
The Nike 5meter Water Polo Camp at the University of California, Santa Cruz is designed to provide youth and high school water polo players with the fundamentals, latest drills, in-water scrimmages and position specific training (Divers, Shooters, Goalies and 2 Meter Offense & Defense) essential for improvement. Come join USA Water Polo Olympian Genai Kerr and get better this summer!
UC Santa Cruz is an easy drive from the Bay Area and beyond. The campus, defined by rolling meadows and towering redwoods, is a perfect environment for the Nike Water Polo Camp and has always been a camper favorite! Instruction will take place each day at the UC Santa Cruz pool.
- Position Specific Training for Divers, Shooters, Goalies and 2 Meter Offense & Defense
- Directed by USA Olympians and College Coaches
- Low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Two daily water sessions; one daily dry-land session
- Fun evening activities
- Every camper receives a Nike Camp T-shirt
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Genai Kerr
Genai Kerr is a USA Water Polo Olympian, coach, mentor, and true ambassador of the sport. Genai was a member of the United States Men's National Water Polo Team for 12 years and played in the 2004 Athens Olympics, 2003 & 2007 Pan American Gold Medal games, and multiple World Championships.View Genai Kerr's Bio & Water Polo Tips ⟩
He is one of the only athletes in history to compete internationally as a goalie and as a field player. Most recently he was named MVP of the 2012 US Open after he helped Newport Water Polo Foundation win the national championship. Genai has coached at every level, from age group to Division 1 college programs. Over the last 15 years he has run hundreds of camps and impacted thousands of lives.
Surprisingly, Genai got involved in water polo by accident, following the whistles to what he thought was a basketball game and ended up at the pool. He excelled at both water polo and basketball at Coronado High School and received a water polo scholarship to UC Irvine to play under Coach Ted Newland. Genai went on to become a NCAA All-American in 1998 and 1999 and was awarded Big West Conference Male Scholar Athlete of the Year his senior year.
Genai remains active in his community and has become a great role model for aspiring water polo players. He has been a US Ambassador for the USADA (U.S. Antidoping Agency) since 2003 promoting clean sports for young athletes. He was a founding faculty member of the Sage Hill School where he was the Dean of Students, taught art and physical education, and started the aquatic programs. Genai has also created several community outreach programs to help mentor children in lower income households.
USA National Team
- 2012 US Open, Irvine, California, 1st Place - MVP
- 2010 Volvo Cup, Hungary, 3rd place
- 2009 FINA World Championships, Rome, Italy, 4th place
- 2009 FINA World League Super Final, Podgorica, Montenegro, 4th place
- 2007 FINA World League Super Finals, Berlin, Germany 5th place
- 2007 Pan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1st place
- 2007 FINA World Championships, Melbourne, Australia, 9th place
- 2006 ASUA Cup, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1st place
- 2006 FINA World League Super Finals, Athens, Greece, 5th place
- 2004 Olympic Games, Athens, Greece, 7th place
- 2003 FINA World League Super Finals, New York, NY, 3rd place
- 2003 Pan American Games, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 1st place
- 2003 FINA World Championships, Barcelona, Spain, 6th place
- 2003 U.S. Cup, Stanford, CA, United States, 2nd place
- 2002 FINA World Cup, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 7th place
- 2001 FINA World Championships, Fukuoka, Japan, 7th place
- 2001 World Championships Qualifier, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 1st place
- 1998 First Appearance on the Men’s National Team, Long Beach, CA
- 1995 Jr. North American Games, Calgary, Canada, 2nd place
Camp Director Blair MacDougall
Blair MacDougall enters his second season at Mercyhurst and his first as the head coach. He was previously the graduate assistant for the 2021-22 season before taking on the role of interim head coaching and helping lead the Women's Water Polo team to a record of 7-15.View Blair MacDougall's Bio ⟩
MacDougall joined the coaching ranks in 2013 at UC Santa Cruz and helped the team win their second national title. He later joined the University of Central Florida in 2016 with his team being named the regular season champion and finishing runner-up in the Florida Division Championship. He was hired as the graduate assistant at Mercyhurst for the 2022-23 season and was named the interim head coach in the spring, helping the women to a 7-15 campaign, including a pair of wins over Gannon.
Macdougall previously played for the University of California Santa Cruz from 2008-12, helping begin the program for the Banana Slugs for both genders. He helped the team to the DIII Collegiate Club Championship in 2010 with Macdougall playing a large role as he was named to the All-Tournament Second Team while also earning D III All-American Second Team honors.
Staff Petar Momcilovic
On staff is Petar Momcilovic who will be the assistant coach for a NCAA Division I program from fall 2023. He was previously the Head Coach of Mercyhurst University. He is a Serbian native who began his coaching career in the United Kingdom.View Petar Momcilovic's Bio ⟩
Momcilovic has over 10 years coaching experience and has coached in the United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates and the United States. He was previously the head coach of Mercyhurst University as well as Oxford University. He is also a USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program (ODP) Coach since 2019 working in the Great Lakes Zone and the Southeast Zone. Prior to working with the Olympic Development Program, Momcilovic worked with the Great Britain Junior National Team.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!Please Note: This camp SOLD OUT in 2023. You can expect a high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early. This summer, Santa Cruz is offering one session of overnight with a day camp option (9:00am-4:00pm) for ages 10-18. Upon arrival at camp, campers are placed in groups with other players having similar abilities and goals. Our camp staff will do their best to accommodate your needs, keeping in consideration your experience and desire to improve.
- Dates: July 31-August 3
- Gender: Coed
- Camp Type: Overnight, Day (commuter)
- Check-In: Overnight and Day Campers check in at 9:00am at the Stevenson College Dorms **Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours**
- Check-out: Camp concludes at 4:00pm at Stevenson College Dorms **Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours**
- Meals: All meals are provided for Overnight campers. Lunch is provided for all Day (commuter) campers
- Program: The Skills Camp program is designed for youth and high school players (Ages 10-18). This program focuses on advanced skills, position specific training for divers, shooters, goalies and 2 meter offense & defense, team concepts and an overall intense level of competition. Campers also have the opportunity to compete daily in games against each other.
**Due to unforeseen circumstances at the UC Santa Cruz Pool, our in-water sessions will be taking place down the hill at the Santa Cruz High School Pool. Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours and check-in location.****
UC Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
- For directions to the UC Santa Cruz please visit UCSC map/directions.
- To get to Stevenson College Dorms - Google Maps
- To get to Santa Cruz High School Pool **The best access point is from Myrtle Street just East of the Pool**
Check-in Monday, July 31st
Overnight and Day Campers check in at 9:00am at the Stevenson College Dorms **Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours**
Check-out Thursday, August 3rd
Camp concludes at 4:00pm at Stevenson College Dorms **Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours**
- Dorm: Stevenson College Residence Hall
- Number of Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared
- Linens: Not included. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: No - dorms do not have A/C
The staff reside in the dormitories with the campers and participate in all activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning, afternoon, and evening training sessions
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Day campers: Lunch is provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: Campers at multi-day camps will receive a Nike Water Polo Camps t-shirt and prizes.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Please bring your water polo suit, swim cap, and towel(s)
- Facility: UC Santa Cruz Pool
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
Checklist of things to bring:
- Weather appropriate clothing for 3 nights/4 days
- Dryland training Gear (running shoes, t-shirt, athletic shorts, sweatshirt)
- 2-3 Water Polo Suits
- Swim Cap(s)
- Hat or Visor
- Sandals/flip flops
- Water Bottle
- Spending Money ($50)
- Linens (twin sheets & blankets or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase)
- Bath Towel
- Fan - dorms do not have AC
- Signed Heath & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
Checklist of Things to Bring: We recommend that all Day Campers bring a daily pack with the following items: water polo suit, swim cap, goggles, towel, sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, sandals, water bottle, dry land gear (running shoes, t-shirt, athletic shorts, sweatshirt) and any other appropriate clothing for that day’s activities which will be described to you on the first day of camp.
Camp Schedule & Meals **Please refer to Reminder Email sent on 7/27 for your camper's specific hours**:
- Monday: Day Campers should arrive dressed and ready to play. You will be assigned a counselor and given a complete schedule of all events during the week. Day Campers stay until 4:00pm. Lunch is provided.
- Tuesday-Wednesday: Day Camper Hours – 9:00am-4:00pm. Lunch is provided.
- Thursday: Day Camper Hours - 9:00am-4:00pm. Check-out is immediately after the camp concludes. Lunch is provided
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
OVERNIGHT CAMP AMENITIES
• 3 nights lodging • All meals
• Nightly recreational activities
• Nike Camp T-shirt
DAY CAMP AMENITIES
• Nike Camp T-shirt
TEAM DISCOUNT: If five or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $25 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30 AM Breakfast
- 8:45 AM Extended Day and Day Campers Arrive
- 9:00 AM Camp Meeting
- 9:15 AM Dynamic Water Polo Dryland Warm Up
- 9:45 AM Pool Session 1
- 12:30 PM Lunch
- 1:45 PM Pool Session 2
- 4:00 PM Day Campers Depart
- 5:00 PM Dinner
- 6:30 PM Pool Session 3 or Optional Grass Field Games
- 7:30 PM Extended Day Camers Depart
- 8:00 PM Supervised free time in Dorm
- 10:00 PM Lights out!
UC Santa Cruz
Campers will train each day at the UC Santa Cruz pool and reside on one of the most beautiful college campus in the country with it's ocean views, comfortable dormitories, and an excellent dining hall. Santa Cruz is located at the top of the Monterey Bay on the Central California coast, just south of San Francisco. Getting here is easy since several major highways run to Santa Cruz and the San Francisco, San Jose, and Monterey International Airports are all nearby.
July 29, 2022: My daughter loved the coaches- particularly their patience. She also made fantastic friends that supported one another.
July 29, 2022: the diversity of families traveling from many places and my son expressing he felt more confident at the end of camp
July 29, 2022: My child had a lot of fun. The counselors were friendly and helpful. He learned a lot of fundamental skills.
August 6, 2023: Genai! My kids loved learning from him, both because of his skills and because he made it fun.
July 29, 2022: hahaha for my son it was the lunch but he did have a great time
August 6, 2023: skill development by qualified coaches and my camper had fun had with new buddies
July 30, 2022: Son improved on offense, he came home explaining what he learned
July 29, 2022: She had a lot of fun, made new friends and learned new skills.
August 4, 2023: Learning new skills and making new friends.
August 4, 2023: Learning new skills.
August 4, 2023: Genai was awesome!
My son loved this camp!
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.