More Important Camp Details
The Carolina Distance Camp is designed to give each camper the most authentic experience in learning what it means to be a track & field and cross country student-athlete at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. The camp is open to all middle-distance and cross country athletes, ages 11-18, whom are interested in furthering their knowledge on training, injury prevention, running biomechanics, nutrition, strength training, and recovery.
Campers have the opportunity to run at many of the venues that the Tar Heels use for practice including nearby Carolina North Forest, American Tobacco Trail and our own cross country course at Finley Fields.
Educational lectures are given by accomplished NCAA coaches on topics geared toward achieving maximum performance through the many facets of training that have an impact on racing at your best. UNC coaches conduct a session to analyze, critique, and offer insight into each camper’s running biomechanics. Campers also have the opportunity to run and spend time with current Carolina student-athletes.
2017 Session Information
Check-in: Wednesday from 1:00-3:00 pm at the housing site (105 Stadium Drive, Chapel Hill 27514).
Check-out: Saturday from 11:00-12:00 pm at the housing site.
Room & Board: Campers stay on-campus in dorms within walking distance to the track facilities and dining halls. Two campers per room. All meals are provided at camp, with the majority of meals held at Rams Head Dining Facility on campus. Campers may bring extra snacks for their dorm room.
What to Bring: Campers may want to bring additional spending money for pizza or extra snacks to have in their dorm room. We also make a trip to the campus bookstore for a chance to purchase UNC apparel and extra camp t-shirts will be available for purchase. Any additional supplemental rehab tools such as foam roller, massage stick, or massage balls are also encouraged if that is your normal routine. Please also bring an extra towel (in addition to your shower towel) for our off-campus runs. You will need to bring bed/shower linens, bath accessories, and a pillow.
Training Attire: Please check the weekly forecast leading up to camp and pack clothes to accommodate the weather. We recommend packing two sets of workout clothes for each day to prevent from spending the day in wet clothing.
If five or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $30 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00 AM Wake-up Call
- 7:15 AM Day Campers can be dropped off at dorm
- 7:30 AM Roll call and depart for morning run: American Tobacco Trail
- 7:45 AM - 9:45 AM Run, stretch, breakfast
- 10:15 AM - 12:00 PM Learn by doing: Post Practice Routines
- 12:15 PM - 1:15 PM Lunch at Rams Head Dining
- 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM Free time: movies, games, rest
- 3:30 PM - 4:15 PM Campus walk
- 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM Bio-mechanic analysis of videos
- 5:15 PM - 6:00 PM Optional second run from campus: Battle Park/FF/Mason Farm
- 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM Dinner at Rams Head Dining
- 8:00 PM Depart for Mardi Gras Bowling
- 8:00 PM or 10:00 PM Day campers can be picked up at dorm
- 8:00 PM - 9:45 PM Bowling night at Mardi Gras Bowling
- 10:30 PM Room check - Lights Out