Nike Cross Country Camp Oberlin College Oberlin, Ohio
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Oberlin College is an integral part of the city of Oberlin, a town of about 8,600 residents located 25 miles southwest of Cleveland. Campers train in one of the best college towns in the state of Ohio while getting comprehensive running instruction from an enthusiastic and experienced coaching staff.
All Skills training is offered to boys and girls, ages 10-18. Athletes will master the fundamentals, develop proper mechanics and gain valuable race experience.
- Nike Running Camp T-shirt
- Lunch is included for Day Campers
- Training under college level coaches
- Post-camp goal setting and training tools
- Guest speakers and nutrition guidelines
Campers train at Oberlin College’s new Bob Kahn Track and Fred Shults Field. Completed in fall 2008, Bob Kahn Track is an eight-lane, Beynon, single-pour surface, similar to the track at historic Hayward Field. We will also do some runs on the adjacent Oberlin College Nature Trail – a fast, wood chip trail that starts just a few hundred meters from the track.Meet your coaching staff
• In his time at Oberlin College, his athletes have
garnered 88 North Coast Athletic Conference Championships, 273 All-Conference awards, 28 All Great Lakes Region selections, and 113 school records. He has coached 14 national qualifiers, 4 All Americans and 34 Academic All-American selections.
• Four time coach of the year for the North Coast Athletic Conference
• Coached with the Nike Farm Team in Palo Alto, CA from 2002 to 2004, working with numerous Olympic trial qualifiers from 800 to 10,000 meters.
• Coach Appenheimer was a five-time All American, two-time national champion, 1999 World Cross Country Team member and 2000 Olympic trials qualifier at 5000 meters with a lifetime best of 13:28.99.
Camp code: RNXROB
The Nike Cross-Country Camp at Oberlin helps high school athletes develop the skill set they need to compete at the highest level. Camp emphasizes teaching the fundamentals of cross-country running. The staff at Oberlin has had considerable success developing young men and women into competitive athletes, and we will bring the same principles to campers. We also emphasize teaching and the quality of campers’ experience. We want to provide a fun, engaging environment that helps foster a love of running, a sense of community among campers, and a springboard for a successful fall cross country season.
Campers can expect the following line of Guest Speakers:
- Arabian Whitman, XC and TF Coach at Magnificat High School, Rocky River, OH
- Mike Gallagher, XC Coach at St Ignatius HS, Cleveland, OH
- Chuck Lynch, XC Coach at Elyria Catholic HS, Elyra, OH
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake up
- 7:15am - 8:15am Breakfast
- 9:00am - 9:45am Guest speakers & announcements
- 10:00am Head out to first run
- 12:30pm Lunch
- 1:30pm Rest & video analysis
- 2:15-3:45pm Breakout sessions
- 4:00pm Pacing practice
- 5:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner
- 7:00pm - 10:00pm Recreational activities
- 10:00pm Curfew & room check
- 10:30pm Lights out - quiet hours begin
Check-in: Sunday, July 21st between 1:00-3:00pm at the Conference Services Stevenson Office
Check-out: Graduation is on Thursday, July 25th from 10:00am-12:00pm from Burton Hall
Players Grouped by: age, ability and event
Facility: The Bob Kahn Track & Fried Shults Field.
Dorm: Burton Hall
Campers Per Room: 2
Roommates: If you have a roommate request, and have not already given it to us, please do so no later than 14 days before the start of camp. After that, the request cannot be guaranteed.
Bathrooms: on every floor
Linens: Not provided
Air Conditioning: no, fan recommended
Key Deposit: $40, please bring check made payable to USSC
Spending Money: $40, please do NOT bring a pre-written check
Medical Facility: an athletic trainer is on-site and a doctor is on-call for emergencies
Closest Airport: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
Transportation: Not provided.