Nike Cross Country Camp Oberlin College Oberlin, Ohio
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Located 25 miles southwest of Cleveland in the small town of about 8,600 residents, Oberlin College is the ideal setting for young runners to experience first hand what it feels like to be a collegiate athlete. Campers train in one of the best college towns in the state of Ohio and receive comprehensive running instruction from an enthusiastic and experienced Oberlin coaching staff. Oberlin College is an integral part of the city of Oberlin and we are thrilled to be a part of it once again this summer.
All Skills training is offered to boys and girls, ages 10-18. Athletes will master the fundamentals, develop proper mechanics and gain valuable race experience.
- Nike Running Camp T-shirt
- Lunch is included for Day Campers
- Training under college level coaches
- Post-camp goal setting and training tools
- Guest speakers and nutrition guidelines
- Camp open to ages 10-18
- Video analysis
Campers train at Oberlin College’s new Bob Kahn Track and Fred Shults Field. Completed in fall 2008, Bob Kahn Track is an eight-lane, Beynon, single-pour surface, similar to the track at historic Hayward Field. We will also do some runs on the adjacent Oberlin College Nature Trail – a fast, wood chip trail that starts just a few hundred meters from the track.Meet your coaching staff
• In his time at Oberlin College, his athletes have
garnered 88 North Coast Athletic Conference Championships, 273 All-Conference awards, 28 All Great Lakes Region selections, and 113 school records. He has coached 14 national qualifiers, 4 All Americans and 34 Academic All-American selections.
• Four time coach of the year for the North Coast Athletic Conference
• Coached with the Nike Farm Team in Palo Alto, CA from 2002 to 2004, working with numerous Olympic trial qualifiers from 800 to 10,000 meters.
• Coach Appenheimer was a five-time All American, two-time national champion, 1999 World Cross Country Team member and 2000 Olympic trials qualifier at 5000 meters with a lifetime best of 13:28.99.
2014 Camp Information
The Nike Cross-Country Camp at Oberlin College helps athletes of all abilities develop the skill set they need to compete at the highest level. Camp emphasizes teaching the fundamentals of cross-country running, with the overall goal of developing good habits that lead to even better results. The staff at Oberlin has had considerable success developing young men and women into competitive athletes, and we bring the same principles to our campers. We also emphasize teaching and the quality of campers’ experience. We want to provide a fun, engaging environment that helps foster a love of running, a sense of community among campers, and a springboard for a successful fall cross country season.
Campers can expect the following line of Guest Speakers:
- Arabian Whitman, XC and TF Coach at Magnificat High School, Rocky River, OH
- Mike Gallagher, XC Coach at St Ignatius HS, Cleveland, OH
- Chuck Lynch, XC Coach at Elyria Catholic HS, Elyra, OH
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake up
- 7:15am - 8:15am Breakfast
- 9:00am - 9:45am Guest speakers & announcements
- 10:00am Head out to first run
- 12:30pm Lunch
- 1:30pm Rest & video analysis
- 2:15-3:45pm Breakout sessions
- 4:00pm Pacing practice
- 5:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner
- 7:00pm - 10:00pm Recreational activities
- 10:00pm Curfew & room check
- 10:30pm Lights out - quiet hours begin
2013 SESSION DETAILS
Check-in: Sunday, July 20th between 1:00-3:00pm at the Conference Services Stevenson Office
Check-out: Graduation is on Thursday, July 24th from 10:00am-12:00pm from Kahn Track followed by check out for overnight campers from Burton Hall.
24-hour supervision is an important feature of every NIKE Running Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
Players Grouped by: age, ability and event
Facility: The Bob Kahn Track & Fried Shults Field.
Dorm: Burton Hall
Campers Per Room: 2
Roommates: If you have a roommate request, and have not already given it to us, please do so no later than 14 days before the start of camp. After that, the request cannot be guaranteed.
Bathrooms: on every floor
Linens: Not provided
Air Conditioning: no, fan recommended
Key Deposit: $40, please bring check made payable to USSC
Spending Money: $40, please do NOT bring a pre-written check
Medical Facility: an athletic trainer is on-site and a doctor is on-call for emergencies
Closest Airport: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
Transportation: Not provided.