Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camp at TCU
Improve your game and have serious fun at
Nike Junior Golf Camps
Competitive junior golfers are invited to Texas Christian University in Fort Worth for a golf-intensive experience at our advanced short game camp. The staff is led by Duke University Coach, Jon Whithaus.
Whether it be junior golf, collegiate golf, or professional golf, the best players are the ones who consistently maintain a high level of efficiency and success in all aspects of the short game. Nike Advanced Junior Short Game Camps offer evaluation, analysis, instruction and training from our highly successful instructional staff. The specialized short game work our staff members have done with their students has helped to win tournaments at the highest levels. Our staff has worked with many PGA, LPGA, and European Tour professionals that have achieved a significant number of professional victories, as well as several NCAA Champions, and dozens of NCAA All-Americans.
The Short Game Camp in Texas offers a day program that includes golf instruction, lunch, course play, dinner and evening activities. This option runs from 8:30am-9:00pm (schedule varies each day).
All golf activities take place at Southern Oaks Golf Club in Burleson, TX, which is equipped with a top-notch short game facility and driving range.
- Low student to coach ratio of 4:1
- High-intensity instruction - ball control testing, putting, chipping, and bunker training
- Training and practice on all scoring scenarios within 125 yards
- Discussions on long-term development, college golf, goal setting and tournament preparation
- Overnight accommodations at TCU
- Camper amenity package including a Nike hat, drawstring bag, one dozen SRIXON golf balls, camp workbook and graduation certificate
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Jon Whithaus
Jon is in his third season as the Assistant Women's Golf Coach at Duke University and also owns and operates Elite Level Golf. He has extensive experience working with players to help them to move from one level to the next level in their careers. He has worked in various capacities with amateur players and professional players, having experience with players who have competed on The European Tour, The LPGA Tour, The Symetra Tour, The Challenge Tour and The Sunshine Tour.View Jon Whithaus's Bio ⟩
Jon has had a very successful collegiate coaching career over the past two decades, previously as the Associate Head Men's Golf Coach at Duke University (4 years) and the Head Men's Golf Coach at Ohio Wesleyan University (12 years). His teams have reached the NCAA Championship in 16 of those years, highlighted by 9 top-10 finishes. His teams have won over 60 tournament titles throughout his career. Whithaus is the only coach in NCAA Division I to coach both a men's (2011) and women's (2016) program into the match play semifinals of the NCAA Championship.
Coach Angie Ravaioli-Larkin
Coach Ravaioli is the head women's golf coach at TCU.View Angie Ravaioli-Larkin's Bio ⟩
Coach Ravaioli is the head women's golf coach at TCU. Ravaioli-Larkin is the third-most tenured head coach at TCU. During her long and distinguished time on campus, she has built her program into an annual national title contender. A recent streak of 18 consecutive postseason appearances represented the second-longest streak by a TCU sport in history, trailing only the 27 in a row by men's golf.
Your desires to improve your scoring ability and consistently move up the scoreboard can be reached through the extensive analysis, evaluation, and instruction that you receive during the short game school. Not only will you truly have an understanding of your strengths and weaknesses from inside 125 yards, but you'll leave the short game school with a clear understanding how to continue your training for years to come. Golf activities take place at Southern Oaks Golf Club in Burleson.Show Less See More Camp Details
- Measure and analyze the putting stroke of each participant on SAM or TOMI
- Discuss the printout of each participant's putting stroke and compare with the best
- Discuss Find and agree on drills and exercises to improve
- Practice distance and directional control (Finding the speed of the greens and calibrating square)
- Ball control testing with focus on spin rates
- Trajectory control
- Distance control
- Distribution patterns
Chipping, Pitching and Bunker
- Discussing the fundamentals of the short game
- Understanding and utilizing the bounce of wedges
- Finding a repeatable technique for chipping, pitching and bunker shots
- Controlling the spin of the ball
- Adjusting to different types of lies, grasses and sands
- Club selection for various situations
- Choosing your landing spots
- Reading the green, grain, slope and speed
- The mental fundamentals of scoring
- The characteristics of the best putting strokes on tour
- Effective practice habits & training to score
- The college recruiting processes & what gains the attention of college coaches
- Training & practice away from the golf course
- The different types of strokes: square to square vs rotation and arc
- Adjusting to different grasses, grain and speeds of greens
- Green reading and pre-shot routine
CHECK-IN AND CHECK-OUT
Please refer to the registration packet for check-in and check-out details.
The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
Nike Golf Schools and Jr. Camps does not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. The packet we send to registered campers in the spring offers suggestions on shuttle services for each specific camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30 - 9:30am Registration, introduction, orientation meeting
- 9:30 - 11:45am Group stations - putting, chipping, pitching, distance wedges
- 12:00 - 12:45pm Lunch
- 12:45 - 3:00pm Group stations - putting, pitching, bunker, green reading
- 3:00 - 3:45pm Discussions - Effective practice habits, training to score, college golf
- 3:45 - 6:00pm Group stations - chipping, pitching, distance wedges, putting
- 6:00 - 7:00pm Dinner
- 7:00 - 8:00pm Competitions/contests
- 8:00 - 9:00pm Group discussions
- 10:00pm Lights out
Southern Oaks Golf Club
Southern Oaks boasts a par-72 championship layout and spectacular practice facilities. The entire tee box, over 6,250 square yards, was sodded with 419 Bermuda grass and is meticulously maintained at fairway height. The spacious teeing ground can easily accommodate large events and the five target greens are spaced at precise yardages for work on distance control and accuracy. The 4,000-square-foot green allows golfers to hit chip and pitch shots from various angles and stances, as well as to practice recovery shots from different styles of sand and grass bunkers. In addition, Southern Oaks has a separate 10,000-square-foot undulating putting green that simulates on-course playing conditions to aid in your final preparations for the round.
Texas Christian University
Texas Christian University (TCU) is a private, coeducational university located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is ranked in the "Top 100 National Universities" by the US News and World Report and competes in NCAA athletics as a member of the Division I Big 12 Conference.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Coaching was great
"Marius was a great help to my game and I have learned so much from him. He is a great guy and a wonderful teacher!"
— Joey M. Camper0
"It was very helpful and fun."
— Kris L. Camper0
"This camp is best suited for competitive players looking to take their game to the next level. There is tons of golf each day, great discussion topics and excellent coaching. Very impressed with the program."
Great Camp Experience
"Great camp. Thanks to all the staff for a great camp experience!"
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.