Nike Adult Pickleball Camp at Bobby Riggs Racket and Paddle Club
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Pickleball Camps
Bobby Riggs Racket and Paddle Club, located in beautiful Encinitas, California, voted in 2020 as the best pickleball club in the United States, is now home to Nike Pickleball Camps.
With ocean views from the west facing balcony, one mile away from the best restaurants in So. Cal, home of the world famous Battle of the Sexes singles and doubles pickleball match, a quick drive to the beach, year round mild weather, and home of the best pickleball professionals in the world, including 2021 World Professional Champions Callan Dawson and Dj Young, and US Open and National Champions Steve and Jennifer Dawson, the club, its professionals, Nike Pickleball Camps and the staff will promise you a pickleball experience second to none.
- Instruction from world class professionals
- 15 hours of court time
- Stroke development, techniques, strategy and more!
- Low camper to staff ratio
- All campers receive a Pickleball Camps T-shirt
- View More Details ⟩
Co-Director Jennifer Dawson
Jennifer Dawson was the World's first ever Triple Crown professional pickleball champion by winning singles, doubles and mixed doubles in the same US Open professional pickleball championship!View Jennifer's Bio ⟩
Jennifer has since gone on to be one of the world's most recognized pickleball figures, winning over 20 US Open, National, and TOC singles and doubles championships. Jennifer has been coaching tennis for over 30 years, and brings her coaching knowledge to the pickleball court for you!
Co-Director Steve Dawson
Steve was a 2 time Big-8 Tennis Champion for the University of Oklahoma and an ITF World Tennis Champion before catching the BUG!View Steve's Bio ⟩
Now, as a full-time pickleball player and coach, and partner and developer of Pro Kennex pickleball paddles. Steve is a multiple U.S. Open and U.S. National Pickleball Champion, 2-time Canadian National Pickleball Champion.
Coach Callan Dawson
Callan Dawson, the Head Pickleball Professional at Bobby Riggs Racket and Paddle, burst onto the pickleball scene by reaching the finals of the USAPA National Men's Professional pickleball championships as his first professional event.View Callan's Bio ⟩
Callan has since become the inaugural Men's Professional Pickleball Champion, Tournament of Champion Men's professional finalist, as well as a multiple California State Men's Open doubles champion.
Coach Lon Krantz
Lon is the Director of Testing and Training for the International Pickleball Teaching Professional Association (IPTPA) for the Southern California region and a IPTPA Certified Instructor as well.View Lon's Bio ⟩
He currently works for the renowned Bobby Riggs Tennis and Paddle in Encinitas, California and is the head pickleball pro at the Coronado Marriott Resort and Spa on Coronado Island. Previously, he taught pickleball in Colorado at The Ridge recreation center in Littleton, Colorado before moving to the San Diego area. His 20+ years of playing experience has provided invaluable insight to his now 7+ years of professional instruction.
Lon is 5.0 player and a sponsored Team ProKennex Pro and competes at both the local and national level.
● 2017 Bronze PPF Mens Doubles Senior Pro
● 2016 Gold May Mayhem Open 5.0 Mens Doubles
● 2016 Gold San Diego Senior Olympics(50-54)
● 2015 Silver California States Games Open 5.0
Helping students improve their games by utilizing strong fundamental techniques, and providing clear, comprehensible instruction. Students will learn high percentage strategies, which helps to place them in positions that yield desired results. Most importantly, Lon places emphasis on keeping pickleball fun, while playing it at their best ability. His style is positive and encouraging which brings out the best in student and teacher.
Coach Dj Young
Darrian Young has been a professional pickleball player for two years.View Dj's Bio ⟩
He is ranked in the top ten and his accomplishments include:
- 2021 World Pickleball Championship - Gold
- The Showcase Professionals Only Tournament - Silver
Darrian's pre-pickleball experience comes from more than 10 years of competitive tennis. He played in the Spanish Junior Tennis Circuit, winning Silver.
World class instruction provided in a clear and concise 3 day progression teaching you proper shot making and selections, decisions, and techniques used by the world's top players.
Camp is recommended for 2.5 to 4.0 players, it is not recommended for beginners. If you are a 4.5 or 5.0 player, please come with your partner.
2023 CAMP DATES
- To Be Announced
Drills and practice routines for your improvement from each section of the court are communicated clearly in this well thought out 3 day program which culminates in a friendly tournament where you put your new skills to use. Your game is built from understanding the purpose of positioning and choosing the correct shot from each position on the court, and then drilling those choices in meaningful progressions. Pro drills will become your drills. The camp is self flighting, meaning you are not put in a group of players at your level and mandated to stay in your group, but through competitive drills on newly learned skills, you will be given opportunities throughout each day become part of a different group.
- Daily Schedule: Friday-Sunday 7:45am-3:00pm (Campers check-in each day at 7:45am)
- Day 1
- 8:00am-11:00am (front court): Dink form, dink grips, dink placement, dink spins, dink strategy, dink drills, and dink competition. Airborne attacks, bounced kitchen attacks, lob attacks, chicken wings
- 11:00am-1:00pm: Lunch, free time
- 1:00pm-3:00pm (mid court): Mid court mastery, short hops, re sets, mid court airborne attacks, mid court drills, mid court positioning, mid court competitions
- Day 2
- 8:00am-11:00am (back court): Baseline power, generating power, defending power, drilling on power, competing with power, developing power, baseline drives, serves, defending power, covering the middle
- 11:00am-1:00pm: Lunch, free time
- 1:00pm-3:00pm: 3rd shot drops, 3rd shot drills, 3rd shot techniques, progressing to mid court, team positioning, team and individual competition, putting the plan together
- Day 3
- 8:00am-11:00am: disguises and fakes, tricks and plays, ernie's, atp's, drilling on fakes, head fakes, fake dink attacks, fake attack dinks, drilling on disguises
- 11:00am-1:00pm: Lunch, free time
- 1:00pm-3:00pm: lectures on competition, tournament, awards presentation (not what you think), hugs, pics and goodbyes!
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Welcome Package: All campers receive a Pickleball Camps t-shirt and prizes
- Instruction: 15 hours of court time including instruction and match play from world class professional
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT, & FACILITY
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience
- Equipment Needed: All campers must bring a pickleball paddle, athletic shoes and a water bottle
- Facility: Riggs is a 3 tennis court and 14 dedicated pickleball court facility with a view of the Pacific Ocean
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital
Book early for the best room rates! These are Day Camps and only and run during the hours listed above. The camp tuition DOES NOT include housing. Campers are required to provide their own overnight accommodations.
CAMP INFORMATION PACKET
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camp Code: PBADBR
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.