Nike Swim Camp at University of San Diego
2024 Dates & Prices Coming Soon!
Known for its near-perfect climate, San Diego provides the ideal setting for swimmers to improve their stroke technique this summer and have some serious fun! Campers train daily at the USD pool.
Through elite technique instruction and challenging in-water training, USD's Head Swim Coach, Mike Keeler, and his staff will take your performance to the next level.
The Nike Swim Camp at University of San Diego is open to any and all entrants. For your safety and benefit, we recommend you have competitive swimming experience (e.g. U.S.S. age group, national qualifiers, high school swimmers, or summer league swimmers) and can swim at least 50 meters in all four competitive strokes: fly, back, breast and freestyle.
- Stroke technique refinement for competitive swimming
- Intensive emphasis on racing tactics plus starts and turns
- Small group and individual stroke analysis/instruction
- Every camper receives a Nike Camp T-shirt and Nike Swim Cap
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mike Keeler
Directing camp this summer is the University of San Diego Head Swimming Coach, Mike Keeler. Coach Keeler has done a remarkable job at USD in the development of San Diego's swimming and diving program since taking over as the Toreros head coach in the fall of 1998.View Mike Keeler's Bio ⟩
Keeler's student-athletes have shattered virtually every school record. Under his guidance the Toreros won back-to-back team titles at the Pacific Collegiate Swimming Conference Championships (2000 & 2001) and made the school's first-ever appearance in the NCAA Championships (2003)- setting the table for San Diego's successful bid for membership in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in 2005.
Keeler, a two-time PCSC Coach of the Year, has a track record of recruiting and developing outstanding student-athletes. In USD's six seasons in the PCSC under his direction, 10 different Toreros established conference records while 30 were recognized as all-conference performers. In 2003, USD placed 38th nationally at the NCAA Championships behind the efforts of then-freshman standout and All-America honorable mention Ashley Swart.
Altogether, Keeler has coached 44 conference champions, 100 all-conference selections and 101 conference all-academic honorees during his tenure at USD.
Prior to USD, Keeler served as assistant men's swim coach at Purdue University in Indiana for five seasons. Keeler held assistant swim coaching posts for the women's swimming program at Purdue (1993-94), similar men's and women's positions at the University of Miami (1991-93) and at Michigan State (1988). Through the 1989-91 seasons, Keeler was the assistant men's coach for Michigan State.
Throughout his extended collegiate coaching career, Keeler has recruited and trained men and women who have scored as high as third at the NCAA Championships. At Purdue, Keeler assisted in coaching the Boilermakers to a 34th place finish at the 1998 NCAA Championships with five individuals being awarded All-American honors. At the 1997 NCAA Championships, the team placed 19th with four All-Americans and four championship finalists. At the conference level, in a four year span, Purdue produced 12 Big Ten Champions, 55 Academic All-Big Ten honorees and eight national academic All-American recipients.
Besides his collegiate coaching experience, Keeler worked as camp director and guest speaker at the Elite Olympic Development Camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs; Co-Camp Director at Michigan State (summer, 1993); head senior coach for Hurricane Aquatics (summer, 1992); and as head coach for the Spartan Swim Club (summer, 1989).
A 1984 graduate of Central Michigan University, Mike earned his B.S. Degree in Physical Education. He went on to earn his M.S. degree in Physical Education, with an emphasis on Coaching and Athletic Administration, at Michigan State in 1992. He is currently a member of the United States Swimming, College Swim Coaches Association, and the American Swim Coaches Association. He was the lead-author of "Biomechanical Analysis: Stroke Frequency/Velocity Testing Protocol", an article that appeared in the United States Swimming Magazine "Coaches Quarterly." Mike and his wife Michele have three children, Matthew, Mitchell and Mayce.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect a high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early. This summer, USD is offering one week day camp (9:00am-3:00pm) for ages 10-16. Upon arrival at camp, campers are placed in groups with other swimmers having similar abilities and goals. Our camp staff will do their best to accommodate your needs, keeping in consideration your experience and desire to improve.
- Dates: June 19-22
- Age Group: 10-16
- Gender: Coed
- Camp Type: Day Camp
- Schedule: 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Wednesday; 9:00am-Noon on Thursday
- Check-In: 8:30-9:00am at the USD Pool
- Lunch: Lunch in the dining hall on MON, TUE, WED (Note: no lunch on THURS)
- Program: The Stroke Technique program focus and design of the curriculum is to provide competitive swimmers an exciting week of camp where they are challenged to improve their stroke technique through mental, technical, and physical training. Each Camper receives personalized stroke instruction from the USD Coaching Staff of all four strokes along with starts and turns.
University of San Diego
Sports Center Pool
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Click Here for Directions
Monday, June 19th thru Thursday, June 22nd
- Check-in: between 8:30-9:00am at the USD pool.
- Check-out Mon, Tue, & Wed: 3:00pm
- Check-out Thurs: 12:00pm
Lunch provided in the dining hall on MON, TUE, WED - (Note: no lunch on THURS)
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning and afternoon training sessions
- Supervision: Campers are supervised by staff during camp hours.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: Campers will receive a Nike Swim Camps t-shirt and prizes.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Please bring your water swimsuit, swim cap, googles and towel(s)
- Facility: USD Pool
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Dryland training Gear (running shoes, t-shirt, athletic shorts, sweatshirt)
- Swim Cap(s)
- A pair of Fins
- Water bottle
- Hat or Visor
- Sandals/flip flops
- Signed Heath & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
- USD Youth Liability Form (form to be printed, filled out and turned it at camp)
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE SWIM CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our swim camps please see our FAQ page.Show Less See More Camp Details
YOUTH CAMP (Ages 10-16): The focus and design of the curriculum is to provide competitive swimmers an exciting week of camp where they are challenged to improve their stroke technique through mental, technical, and physical training. Each Camper receives personalized stroke instruction from the USD Coaching Staff of all four strokes along with starts and turns.
- Dates: Monday, June 19 to Thursday, June 22
- Hours: MON-WED 9AM-3PM & THURS 9AM-NOON
- Lunch in the dining hall on MON, TUE, WED (Note: no lunch on THURS)
- Limited to 50 campers
TEAM DISCOUNT: If five or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $25 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
NOTE: Late or individual registrations are not eligible to receive the group discount.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30/8:50 AM Campers arrive
- 9:00 AM Lecture
- 10:00 AM Dryland, Flexibility & Morning swim session
- Noon Lunch, rest and free-time
- 2:00 PM Afternoon swim session
- 3:00 PM Campers depart
University of San Diego
This camp is hosted at the University of San Diego. The 180 acre campus is perched on a pristine canyon with beaches, mountains and downtown San Diego all within a short drive. Instruction takes place in USD's 25 yard x 12 lane pool.
This is a high quality camp that is run well
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.