The Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
Our day and overnight tennis camp at Amherst College in Massachusetts is one of the best tennis camps in the US. Designed for boy and girls of all levels, this New England tennis camp will help elevate your game.
Since 1994, Amherst has been the “flagship” for specialty tennis camp programs, using the latest teaching techniques including detailed stroke breakdown, "live" drilling, coached match play, strategy sessions, and weekly team tournaments.
- Instruction from Tennis Pros, National Championship Coaches, College Players, and Skilled teachers
- SAT/ACT Prep option offered during the High School Only week
- NEW for 2017! Special High School Exposure Weekend Camp (Girls Only)
- 5-6 hours of daily training, match play, fitness training with low student/teacher ratio
- Fun evening activities including a movie night, team skits, camp dance, pool party and "Night on the Town"
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mike Gardner
In his 28th year as a Nike Tennis Camp Director, Mike Gardner brings years of experience and dedication to junior tennis development.View Mike Gardner's Bio & Tennis Tips ⟩
USPTA Level 1 Certified, Coach Gardner’s experience includes:
• 2012 and 2013 Massachusetts Division 1 State Championship Coach.
• 30 plus years Professional Junior Training Coach.
• Director of Nike/Amherst since its inception in 1994.
• Trained hundreds of top New England and National level players.
• Many of Coach Gardner’s students have earned Division 1 College Scholarships.
• State Championship High School Coach.
• Tennis Director, Orchard Hills Athletic Club in Lancaster, MA
Tennis Tips by Mike Gardner:
Camp Director Jackie Bagwell
Jackie Bagwell will co-direct the High School Doubles Exposure camp (June 30-July 2). Bagwell begins her 27th season at the helm of the Amherst College women’s tennis program in 2017-18.View Jackie Bagwell's Bio ⟩
Since taking the reins in 1991-92, Bagwell to 15-or more wins in 18 campaigns, and 20-or more wins in five of the last eight seasons. The Kokomo, Indiana native has led the Purple & White to at least the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament in 21 of the last 22 seasons, including the college's first NCAA title in any sport in 1999. Her teams have taken home at least a share of the NESCAC crown in nine of the past 13 seasons.
Bagwell’s squads produced back-to-back national singles champions in 1999 and 2000 and have been even more successful in doubles action, taking home the NCAA title in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. She earned Boston Area Coach of the Year honors at the annual Boston Sports Awards in September of 2000, going up against former Boston Red Sox manager Jimmy Williams and former Boston Bruins head coach Pat Burns—among others—for the honor. Bagwell was named the 2007 and 2014 NESCAC Coach of the Year, and in 2011 she was honored as the ITA's Northeast Coach of the Year.
We offer Overnight, Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camps for players ages 8-18 of all skill levels with Tournament Training and High School programs during certain weeks, plus a 2-week College Tour camp. If you are interested in the tournament training program, please make sure you register here: Nike Tennis Tournament Training Camp at Amherst College.
2018 Camp Dates and Offerings
- June 17-22 (All Skills)
- June 24-29 (All Skills)
- July 1-6 (All Skills & High School)
- July 8-13 (All Skills)
- July 15-20 (All Skills)
- July 22-27 (All Skills & High School)
- July 22-August 3 (High School Only College Tour)
- July 29-August 3 (High School Only)
- August 5-August 10 (High School Only)
Camp Program Offerings
Most sessions are geared towards players of all ages and ability levels with certain sessions offering tournament training and high school programs. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
All Skills Program
The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
High School Program
The High School Program is provided for players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
College Tour Program for High School Players (2 weeks | July 22 - August 3, 2018)
This year we are offering an exciting way for high school (ages 13-18) players to experience two separate beautiful college campuses while working on their tennis game and making new friends. Campers will check-in and spend the first week at Williams College and then be transported by bus after the first week to Amherst College, where they will spend the duration of their time. Campers may also choose to sign up for each week separately and not stay over during the weekend.
Tournament Training Program
The Tournament Training Program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- Overnight campers check in on Sunday from 1:00-2:00pm at the dorms.
- Day and Extended Day campers check in from 1:30-2:00pm.
- Day and Extended Day Campers will depart the first day at 9:00pm after dinner and evening activities.
- Graduation: All campers: 12:00 noon Friday at the dorms. Parents are invited to attend!
- Check-out immediately follows Graduation.
Day & Extended Day Camper Schedule
- Sunday: Day and Extended Day Campers arrive at 1:30pm and depart at 9:00pm.
- Monday-Thursday: Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 5:00pm. Extended Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 9:00pm.
- Friday: All campers have a graduation at 12:00pm. Check-out is immediately after Graduation.
Campers will utilize Amherst's new "State of the Art' facillty and play on the 28 hard and clay courts on campus. Indoor courts are also available on campus in the event of rain. The camp has use of the Amherst College athletic fields, swimming pools and gymnasiums for off court training and activities.
2018: Campers reside in the ideally situated Charles Pratt dormitories equipped with TV lounges and WiFi. The entire camp resident staff, including the Director, live in the dormitory with the campers, providing safety and security 24 hours a day. Roommates: 2 per room (some triples may be available) based on requests and then by age and gender. There is no A/C in the dorms, but they don't get too hot. Campers may bring fans.
All meals are included for overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day campers. Lunch is provided for all Day campers. Meals start with dinner on the first day and end with breakfast on the last day. Meals will be served at the award winning Valentine cafeteria. This air conditioned venue serves an excellent “all you can eat” variety of health hot and cold meals. This all you can eat cafeteria includes a full service salad bar with fresh fruits and vegetables, a large variety pizza bar, a dessert bar including ice cream "soft serve," cookies, and cakes, with drinks such as juice, milk, soda, athletic drinks, coffee and tea.
Off Court Activities
At Nike/Amherst, we take social activities serious. Activities include: Supervised trips to Amherst town center with its fun shops & restaurants, movie night at the local mall, pool and pizza party night, camp dance featuring professional DJ, team skits and “ice breaker” activities.
* We are also offering the SAT Prep as an alternative to evening activities on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the Amherst HIGH SCHOOL WEEKS (ONLY). The SAT prep will run about 2-2.5 hours a night and be held on campus. This program will only be offered during the high school week. It will be taught by a certified SAT prep teacher from Yale. There is no cost to participate; it will take the place of an evening activity.
Multiple week campers that elect to stay over the weekend will participate in organized “off campus” trips including fun parks, mini golf, bowling and the mall. Campers are supervised by camp staff throughout the entire weekend. Cost: $300/weekend.
International Camper Options
International campers seeking a Sport and Language program can find a list of camp sessions and a detailed description of our new programs by clicking this link. International campers seeking a Sport Only program, a multi-week sport camp experience, can easily combine any of our individual Tennis Camp sessions together with a weekend stay over to create the right camp program to fit your needs!
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots, but we do have some options below for you. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Logan Airport.
- For campers attending sessions BEFORE June 23, 2018: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through T&L Limo Service by calling 617-296-1512 or 1-800-338-1512 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Round trip: $490. One-way $245. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
- For campers attending sessions FROM June 24, 2018 on: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through World Sports Camp by calling Adam Shand at 617-519-3810 or by emailing email@example.com. Boston, MA Logan (BOS): Round trip: $490, One-Way $245 and Bradley, Hartford, CT Bradley (BDL): Roundtrip:$350, One-Way: $175. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst
We're excited to also bring you an Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College for ages 18 and over! Click the link for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. PLEASE NOTE: Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camp Code: TNXRAC
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:45am Wake up by Camp Staff
- 8:00am Breakfast at Valentine
- 8:55am Meet at courts, warm up, stretch, morning demo, stroke breakdown and court assignments
- 9:20am Instruction, drills technique development
- 11:55am Morning wrap up, review, mail call
- 12:10pm Lunch, supervised town trip
- 1:30pm Meet at courts, warm up, stretch, strategy session, match play, sport activity
- 4:55pm Afternoon review, wrap up
- 5:10pm Dinner, free time
- 7:00pm Evening activity
- 9:30pm Free Time
- 9:45pm Lights out campers under the age of 11
- 10:30pm Lights out for all campers.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Came for the last 3 years
August 17, 2017: Sarah has come to Nike Tennis camp at Amherst for the last 3 years. She looks forward to meeting old and new friends every year while enjoying a sport she loves.
— Sarah H. Camper
Loved the overall experience
August 21, 2017: Julia loved the overall experience: great coaching, clean and safe environment and great people!
— Julia T. Camper
Much better dorm
September 20, 2017: Much better dorm this year!!!!!!
— Dylan M. Camper
been going to Amherst for 5 years now and could not be happier!
August 18, 2016: Mike Gardner and the amazing experience Nike provides has had Ashley returning year after year to Amherst. She has been going to Amherst for 5 years now. We could not be happier! Mike Gardner is an exceptional coach and a wonderful person. We thank him for all that he has done for our daughter and others over the years!
— Katy E. Parent
loved the camp! Thank you!
August 17, 2016: I am writing on Kit's behalf (I am her mother and she has told me how great the camp was). She is a senior in high school so next summer she will be too old really. She loved the camp! Thank you! I will be signing up my younger daughters. Have a great end of summer. You deserve it!
— Amanda M. Parent
loved the camp and always felt safe, comfortable and happy
August 11, 2016: My son loved the camp and always felt safe, comfortable and happy. It was a great first overnight experience. We usually travel a lot over the summer, but decided to have him do this camp in between. Thank you.
— Teresita B. Parent
loved the tennis and evening activities
July 27, 2016: My two kids went to camp for one week this year. They loved the amount and level of tennis, as well as the evening activities.
— Kristen M. Parent
terrific experience and enjoyed the tennis instruction
July 27, 2016: Eleanora had a VERY bad cold and mild fever. The staff was nice but I was concerned about her well being and I would have preferred that a nurse/medical professional check in with her during her stay to ensure that she was ok and that she remained hydrated. Despite the cold, she had a terrific experience and enjoyed the tennis instruction + after hours programming. I am sure that she will be back in 2017. Thank you.
— Ursula A. Parent
July 26, 2016: Special thanks to Mike Gardner and his wife. Excellent Director and Nurse. Immediate feedback on every issue.
— Marta F. Parent
food was really good
7/26/2016 - Food was really good and I had an AMAZING time.
— Penelope D. Camper
more high school options
7/26/2016 - Would like more high school week options earlier in July.
— Hunter N. Camper
need to improve the food
7/6/2016 - Improve the food. My son didn't love it this year. But, other than that, no complaints.
— Cheryl W. Parent
Loved it! Counselors were awesome
7/5/2016 - Loved it!!! Counselors were awesome! I want to come back next summer.
— Drew D. Camper
Great instruction and fun activities at night
8/17/2015 - I went to the Nike tennis camp at Amherst College. I thought the staff was very qualified, made camp a lot of fun, but also set high standards for us. The instruction was great! We did fun activities at night too. One night we did skits, we went to the movies another night, and we had a dance night, too. If I were to change anything about the camp, it would be to locate the dorm a bit closer to the courts.
— Sean P. Camper
had a great time
8/11/2015 - Sarah had a great time! She couldn't stop talking about it. The instruction was great and she loved the new friends that she made. Thank you!
— Karin S. Parent
food was average, but camp was fine
8/1/2015 - The food was average and the salad bar always too crowded for the time allotted. Most of the counselors were good, but a few acted like they didn't want to be there. Overall the camp was fine and I did learn some drills that will be helpful to improve my game.
— Christopher B. Camper
improved her tennis game and had a lot of fun
7/24/2015 - My daughter Emilia stayed at the camp for three weeks this summer and her experience was great! She made good improvements in her tennis game, but what's most important she had a lot of fun and enjoyed the whole experience.
— Bartosz A. Parent
staff and activities are always exciting and engaging
7/16/2015 - I really enjoyed coming to camp this year and I am already excited to attend next year. The staff and activities are always exciting and engaging, which makes the experience even more fun.
— Allison T. Camper
My daughter will go back again and again!
7/15/2015 - My daughter loves the camp and all the staff and especially the director Mike Gardner. He is a great director and a coach!!!!! My daughter will go back again and again!!!
— Nicole M. Parent