The Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
Our day and overnight tennis camp at Amherst College in Massachusetts is one of the best tennis camps in the US. Designed for boys and girls of all levels, this New England tennis camp will help elevate your game.
Since 1994, Amherst has been the “flagship” for specialty tennis camp programs, using the latest teaching techniques including detailed stroke breakdown, "live" drilling, coached match play, strategy sessions, and weekly team tournaments.
- Instruction from Tennis Pros, National Championship Coaches, College Players, and Skilled teachers
- SAT/ACT Prep option offered during the High School Only week
- 5-6 hours of daily training, match play, fitness training with low student/teacher ratio
- Fun evening activities including a movie night, team skits, camp dance, pool party and "Night on the Town"
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mike Gardner
In his 28th year as a Nike Tennis Camp Director, Mike Gardner brings years of experience and dedication to junior tennis development.View Mike Gardner's Bio & Tennis Tips ⟩
USPTA Level 1 Certified, Coach Gardner’s experience includes:
• 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2018 Massachusetts Division 1 State Championship Coach.
• 30 plus years Professional Junior Training Coach.
• Director of Nike/Amherst since its inception in 1994.
• Trained hundreds of top New England and National level players.
• Many of Coach Gardner’s students have earned Division 1 College Scholarships.
• 2018 Massachusetts Coach of the Year
• Owner and Tennis Director, New England Tennis Center. Lancaster, MA
Tennis Tips by Mike Gardner:
Co-Directior Ryan Holmes
Coach Holmes has been a Nike Tennis Camp coach for over 10 years and is currently a Teaching Professional and the New England Tennis Center.View Ryan's Bio ⟩
At the New England Tennis Center Coach Holmes trains junior tennis players ages 4-17 on stroke development,fitness and strategy. Students range from beginners trying to learn to play, up to players thatare competing at national events or seeking college scholarships. The program has several hundred junior players from Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Coach Holmes is the coach of the U14 JTT New England Sectional Champions, a high school tennis coach and is Next Gen Certified.
We offer Overnight, Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camps for players ages 8-18 of all skill levels with Tournament Training and High School programs during certain weeks, plus a 2-week College Tour camp. If you are interested in the tournament training program, please make sure you register here: Nike Tennis Tournament Training Camp at Amherst College.
2019 Camp Dates and Offerings
- June 16-21 (All Skills, Tournament Training Available: see link above)
- June 23-28 (All Skills, Tournament Training Available: see link above)
- June 30-July 5 (All Skills & High School, Tournament Training Available: see link above)
- July 7-12 (All Skills, Tournament Training Available: see link above)
- July 14-19 (All Skills, Tournament Training Available: see link above)
- July 21-26 (All Skills)
- July 21-August 2 (High School Only College Tour: Williams & Amherst College)
- July 28-August 2 (High School Only)
- August 4-August 9 (All Skills)
Camp Program Offerings
Most sessions are geared towards players of all ages and ability levels with certain sessions offering tournament training and high school programs. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
All Skills Program
The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
High School Program
The High School Program is provided for players ages 13-18 at all levels up to and including advanced tournament players.
College Tour Program for High School Players (2 weeks | July 21 - August 2, 2019)
This year we are offering an exciting way for high school (ages 13-18) players to experience two separate beautiful college campuses while working on their tennis game and making new friends. Campers will check-in and spend the first week at Williams College and then be transported by bus after the first week to Amherst College, where they will spend the duration of their time. Campers may also choose to sign up for each week separately and not stay over during the weekend.
Tournament Training Program
The Tournament Training Program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- Overnight campers check in on Sunday from 1:00-2:00pm at the dorms.
- Day and Extended Day campers check in from 1:30-2:00pm.
- Day and Extended Day Campers will depart the first day at 9:00pm after dinner and evening activities.
- Graduation: All campers: 12:00 noon Friday at the dorms. Parents are invited to attend!
- Check-out immediately follows Graduation.
Day & Extended Day Camper Schedule
- Sunday: Day and Extended Day Campers arrive at 1:30pm and depart at 9:00pm.
- Monday-Thursday: Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 5:00pm. Extended Day campers arrive at 9:00am and depart at 9:00pm.
- Friday: All campers have a graduation at 12:00pm. Check-out is immediately after Graduation.
Campers will play and train on the new Amherst College “State of the Art” tennis facility. 14 courts, shade, bleachers, water stations and electronic scoreboards make up this amazing site.P layers will also utilize 6 local high school courts. 15 Indoor courts are also available in the event of rain. The camp has use of the Amherst College athletic fields, swimming pools and gymnasiums for off court training and activities.
Campers reside in the ideally situated Charles Pratt dormitories equipped with TV lounges and WiFi. The entire camp resident staff, including the Director, live in the dormitory with the campers, providing safety and security 24 hours a day. Roommates: 2 per room (some triples may be available) based on requests and then by age and gender. The dorms do not have A/C however, the rooms are climate controlled. If campers would like more comfort in the rooms, the may bring a fan.
All meals are included for overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day campers. Lunch is provided for all Day campers. Meals start with dinner on the first day and end with breakfast on the last day. Meals will be served at the award winning Valentine cafeteria. This air conditioned venue serves an excellent “all you can eat” variety of health hot and cold meals. This all you can eat cafeteria includes a full service salad bar with fresh fruits and vegetables, a large variety pizza bar, a dessert bar including ice cream "soft serve," cookies, and cakes, with drinks such as juice, milk, soda, athletic drinks, coffee and tea.
Off Court Activities
At Nike/Amherst, we take social activities serious. Activities include: Supervised trips to Amherst town center with its fun shops & restaurants, movie night at the local mall, pool and pizza party night, camp dance featuring professional DJ, team skits and “ice breaker” activities.
* We are also offering the SAT Prep as an alternative to evening activities on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the Amherst HIGH SCHOOL WEEKS (ONLY). The SAT prep will run about 2-2.5 hours a night and be held on campus. This program will only be offered during the high school week. There is no cost to participate; it will take the place of an evening activity.
Multiple week campers that elect to stay over the weekend will participate in organized “off campus” trips including fun parks, mini golf, bowling and the mall. Campers are supervised by camp staff throughout the entire weekend. Cost: $300/weekend.
International Camper Options
International campers seeking a Sport and Language program can find a list of camp sessions and a detailed description of our new programs by clicking this link. International campers seeking a Sport Only program, a multi-week sport camp experience, can easily combine any of our individual Tennis Camp sessions together with a weekend stay over to create the right camp program to fit your needs!
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots, but we do have some options below for you. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Logan Airport.
- Uber and other ride sharing options may be available for you to order on your own.
- For campers attending sessions BEFORE June 23, 2019: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through T&L Limo Service by calling 617-296-1512 or 1-800-338-1512 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Round trip: $490. One-way $245. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
- For campers attending sessions FROM June 24, 2019 on: Airport transfers to Amherst College can be arranged through World Sports Camp by calling Adam Shand at 617-519-3810 or by emailing email@example.com. Boston, MA Logan (BOS): Round trip: $490, One-Way $245 and Bradley, Hartford, CT Bradley (BDL): Roundtrip:$350, One-Way: $175. If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a shuttle company employee, let them know ahead of time. There is no additional charge for unaccompanied minors.
Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst
We're excited to also bring you an Adult Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College for ages 18 and over! Click the link for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. PLEASE NOTE: Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camp Code: TNXRAC
Make sure to check out the 2018 camp highlights on our Instagram page.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:45am Wake up by Camp Staff
- 8:00am Breakfast at Valentine
- 8:55am Meet at courts, warm up, stretch, morning demo, stroke breakdown and court assignments
- 9:20am Instruction, drills technique development
- 11:55am Morning wrap up, review, mail call
- 12:10pm Lunch, supervised town trip
- 1:30pm Meet at courts, warm up, stretch, strategy session, match play, sport activity
- 4:55pm Afternoon review, wrap up
- 5:10pm Dinner, free time
- 7:00pm Evening activity
- 9:30pm Free Time
- 9:45pm Lights out campers under the age of 11
- 10:30pm Lights out for all campers.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
July 29, 2018: Mike Gardner is a unbelievable coach and the entire staff at Amherst where amazing in helping my daughter grow to become the best tennis player possible!!!
— Charles A. - Parent
Enjoyed every minute
August 7, 2018: My son and a friend attended as day campers. When I picked them up the first evening, they were SO excited. Said that they had already learned things that improved their game, just on first day! The week went by very quickly, they worked hard and enjoyed every minute. There was NO grumbling about getting up early to go to camp, in fact they often beat me out to the car in the morning!
— Doris B. - Parent
Will definitely return
August 11, 2018: My daughter loved the drills and competition done in a fun way. Evening activities were varied and enjoyable. Beautiful setting, great food, fun campers and improved skills. Will definitely return.
— Loren L.
Came for the last 3 years
August 17, 2017: Sarah has come to Nike Tennis camp at Amherst for the last 3 years. She looks forward to meeting old and new friends every year while enjoying a sport she loves.
— Sarah H. Camper
Loved the overall experience
August 21, 2017: Julia loved the overall experience: great coaching, clean and safe environment and great people!
— Julia T. Camper
Much better dorm
September 20, 2017: Much better dorm this year!!!!!!
— Dylan M. Camper
been going to Amherst for 5 years now and could not be happier!
August 18, 2016: Mike Gardner and the amazing experience Nike provides has had Ashley returning year after year to Amherst. She has been going to Amherst for 5 years now. We could not be happier! Mike Gardner is an exceptional coach and a wonderful person. We thank him for all that he has done for our daughter and others over the years!
— Katy E. Parent
loved the camp! Thank you!
August 17, 2016: I am writing on Kit's behalf (I am her mother and she has told me how great the camp was). She is a senior in high school so next summer she will be too old really. She loved the camp! Thank you! I will be signing up my younger daughters. Have a great end of summer. You deserve it!
— Amanda M. Parent
loved the camp and always felt safe, comfortable and happy
August 11, 2016: My son loved the camp and always felt safe, comfortable and happy. It was a great first overnight experience. We usually travel a lot over the summer, but decided to have him do this camp in between. Thank you.
— Teresita B. Parent
loved the tennis and evening activities
July 27, 2016: My two kids went to camp for one week this year. They loved the amount and level of tennis, as well as the evening activities.
— Kristen M. Parent
terrific experience and enjoyed the tennis instruction
July 27, 2016: Eleanora had a VERY bad cold and mild fever. The staff was nice but I was concerned about her well being and I would have preferred that a nurse/medical professional check in with her during her stay to ensure that she was ok and that she remained hydrated. Despite the cold, she had a terrific experience and enjoyed the tennis instruction + after hours programming. I am sure that she will be back in 2017. Thank you.
— Ursula A. Parent
July 26, 2016: Special thanks to Mike Gardner and his wife. Excellent Director and Nurse. Immediate feedback on every issue.
— Marta F. Parent
food was really good
7/26/2016 - Food was really good and I had an AMAZING time.
— Penelope D. Camper
more high school options
7/26/2016 - Would like more high school week options earlier in July.
— Hunter N. Camper
need to improve the food
7/6/2016 - Improve the food. My son didn't love it this year. But, other than that, no complaints.
— Cheryl W. Parent
Loved it! Counselors were awesome
7/5/2016 - Loved it!!! Counselors were awesome! I want to come back next summer.
— Drew D. Camper
Great instruction and fun activities at night
8/17/2015 - I went to the Nike tennis camp at Amherst College. I thought the staff was very qualified, made camp a lot of fun, but also set high standards for us. The instruction was great! We did fun activities at night too. One night we did skits, we went to the movies another night, and we had a dance night, too. If I were to change anything about the camp, it would be to locate the dorm a bit closer to the courts.
— Sean P. Camper
had a great time
8/11/2015 - Sarah had a great time! She couldn't stop talking about it. The instruction was great and she loved the new friends that she made. Thank you!
— Karin S. Parent
food was average, but camp was fine
8/1/2015 - The food was average and the salad bar always too crowded for the time allotted. Most of the counselors were good, but a few acted like they didn't want to be there. Overall the camp was fine and I did learn some drills that will be helpful to improve my game.
— Christopher B. Camper
improved her tennis game and had a lot of fun
7/24/2015 - My daughter Emilia stayed at the camp for three weeks this summer and her experience was great! She made good improvements in her tennis game, but what's most important she had a lot of fun and enjoyed the whole experience.
— Bartosz A. Parent
staff and activities are always exciting and engaging
7/16/2015 - I really enjoyed coming to camp this year and I am already excited to attend next year. The staff and activities are always exciting and engaging, which makes the experience even more fun.
— Allison T. Camper
My daughter will go back again and again!
7/15/2015 - My daughter loves the camp and all the staff and especially the director Mike Gardner. He is a great director and a coach!!!!! My daughter will go back again and again!!!
— Nicole M. Parent