Nike Volleyball Camp at the University of Memphis
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
Our girls Memphis volleyball camp offers players of all ability levels the opportunity to improve their skills with instruction from college coaches and players.
With overnight and day camp options and programs for beginners to club and high school level players, our summer volleyball camp in Tennessee is fun and informative for everyone.
- Instruction from collegiate coaching staff and players
- Excellent air conditioned residential, dining and training facilities
- 6-7 hours daily instruction, with 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Sean Burdette
On Jan. 18, 2018, Sean Burdette was named the ninth head coach in University of Memphis volleyball program history.View Sean 's Bio ⟩
Burdette comes to the Bluff City from his head coach position at Green Bay, where he guided the Phoenix the last four seasons (2014-17). Prior to his time at Green Bay, Burdette served as an assistant coach for the Ole Miss volleyball program from 2011-13.
In his four seasons at Green Bay, Burdette produced a remarkable turnaround. He took over the program in 2014 and won only five matches that first season. However, two seasons later, Burdette's 2016 squad won 21 matches (21-9 record), placed second in the Horizon League regular-season standings (12-4 conference record) and finished runner-up in the Horizon League Tournament.
The 21 victories were the most since 2003 and the second-most since it moved to NCAA Division I in 1988. The 12 Horizon League wins were a school record. For his efforts, Burdette was named the 2016 Horizon League co-Coach of the Year.
Burdette, though, wasn't a "one-hit" wonder at Green Bay. He directed the Phoenix to a 17-13 record in 2015 – a 12-match improvement from 2014 – and a 17-16 mark in 2017. He is the first head coach in Green Bay volleyball history to have three-straight winning campaigns, and the 55 victories from 2015-17 are the most for a three-year span in program history.
"I'm excited to have Sean join the Memphis Tigers athletics family and take over the reins of our volleyball program," said Bowen. "Sean has a great coaching pedigree and has shown the ability to not only build a program, but also develop student-athletes on and off the court. We welcome Sean and his family to Memphis, and we're looking forward to see the heights the Tigers volleyball program reaches under his direction."
This past season, Burdette's Phoenix posted a 17-16 overall record, but his squad had an impressive postseason. Green Bay, which placed fourth in the Horizon League regular season (9-7 record), put together a run in the conference tournament that took the Phoenix to the title match, where it fell to No. 1 seed Cleveland State.
The Phoenix earned a National Invitational Volleyball Championship (NIVC) berth and advanced to the regional finals round (final 8). Green Bay defeated Bowling Green and Illinois State in the first two rounds before falling to TCU in the regional final. The NIVC bid was only the second postseason tournament appearance in program history and the first since 2003.
Burdette's 2015 team went 17-13 and placed fifth in the Horizon League.
From 2014-16, his program improved its RPI by over 170 spots. The 2014 Phoenix RPI was 246, and their 2016 RPI was 75. In 2017, Green Bay had the Horizon League's second-highest RPI at 105 (Cleveland State was 67).
Burdette also has a proven track record in player development. At Green Bay, he coached six All-Horizon League selections, three All-Horizon League Freshman Team picks, the 2015 Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year and the 2017 Horizon League Freshman of the Year.
His squads performed well on the court and in the classroom. From 2014-16, his teams maintained a 3.60 or higher grade-point average and earned three-straight American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Awards. Four of Burdette's players also received All-Horizon League Academic Team honors.
Prior to taking over the Green Bay program, Burdette spent three seasons (2011-13) as an assistant coach at Ole Miss. While in Oxford, he helped coach two All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) Freshman Team picks and one AVCA All-America selection. Burdette also helped recruit two of the nation's top-100 players in the Rebels' 2013 signing class.
Burdette had previous coaching stints at Bradley (head coach; 2008-10), Ohio State (assistant coach; 2003-08), Towson (associate head coach; 2000-03) and Pittsburgh (assistant coach; 1997-2000).
He is a 1997 graduate of Ohio Dominican University in Columbus, Ohio. Burdette played on the men's volleyball club team at Ohio State University from 1990-93. He helped lead the 1993 Buckeyes squad to Big Ten Conference and Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (MIVA) championships. Burdette earned both All-Big Ten and All-MIVA first team accolades in 1993.
The Silver Spring, Md., native is married to the former Jacqueline Bunting, and the couple has three daughters: Brinley, Carlyn and Chase.
Burdette takes over the reins of the Memphis program from April Jauregui, who coached the Tigers for 10 seasons from 2008-17.
This year we are offering Overnight, Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm), and Half Day (9:00am-12:00pm) camps for boys and girls of all ability levels. Campers can choose between All Skills (ages 10-18), Advanced (ages 14-18), and Position Specialty (ages 10-18) programs. Click "See More Camp Details" for further information.
2018 CAMP DATES
- July 8-11 (All Skills & Advanced | Overnight & Extended Day)
- June 11 (Hitting | Half Day)
- June 12 (Setting | Half Day)
- June 13 (1st Contact: Defense/Ball Control | Half Day)
CAMP PROGRAM OFFERINGS
This camp is open to players of all abilities, unless otherwise noted. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
This program is geared towards boys and girls, ages 10-18, of all skill levels. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play.
This program is geared towards high school and club level players, ages 14-18, with 2-3 years of competitive experience. This intense, challenging program stresses position play, advanced team techniques, physical conditioning, and a higher level of competitive play.
This program is geared towards players, ages 10-18, wanting to hone their skills in a specific position. Campers choose one position to focus on for the duration of camp and receive specialized training on the latest techniques. Options Include: Setter, Hitter, and Defense. Players may sign up for 1, 2, or all 3 of the position specialty programs.
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
2018 SESSION SCHEDULE
SESSION I: ALL SKILLS & ADVANCED - July 8-11
- Overnight and Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm)
- Check-in: 12:00pm on Sunday
- Check-out: 4:00pm on Wednesday
- Extended Day Camper Schedule: Sunday: 12:00pm-9:00pm, Monday-Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm, Wednesday: 9:00am-4:00pm
SESSION II: POSITION SPECIALTY - June 11 | June 12 | June 13
- Half Day Camp: 9:00am-12:00pm daily
- Check-in: 8:30am
- Check-out: 12:00pm
- Players may sign up for 1, 2, or all 3 of the position specialty programs. *Package rate for all 3.
What's included in the fee?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $15 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Air Conditioned Indoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
- Dorm: TBA
- Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: TBA
- Linens: Not included. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: Yes
Nike Volleyball Camps does not provide transportation from airports, train stations or bus depots. If you have a child flying to camp, please arrange a shuttle or taxi service.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, shower, breakfast for Overnight Campers
- 9:00am Extended Day Campers arrive. Stretching & Warm-up
- 9:15am Training Session I
- 12:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1:30pm Training Session II
- 4:00pm Free time, rest, dinner
- 6:30pm Training Session III
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers depart. Overnight Campers to rooms.
- 10:00pm Lights out
The University of Memphis campus is located approximately 5 miles east of downtown in the University District neighborhood of east Memphis. The historical core of campus encompasses approximately 30 acres.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
July 12, 2018: Our daughter liked all of the different games that were added to the camp to make the experience even more fun!
— Laura T. Parent
All she talks about!
June 14, 2018: This is all my daughter has talked about for two days since she has gotten home. She has also practiced what she learned in the driveway everyday.
— Michelle M. Parent
June 14, 2018: This was an awesome experience for my daughter. The instructors were very patient with the girls. She received hands on instruction in volleyball. We hope to return next year.
— CC P. Parent
June 14, 2018: She loved getting to know the U of M Ayers and coaches. They were all helpful in an encouraging way. She is now excited to go watch them play this season.
— Amy H. parent
Camp Dates & Prices
This program has concluded for the season.
Please Join our email list to be notified when this program is available for registration.