Directing the camp is short game coaching legend, Marius Filmalter. Marius has analyzed more than 65,000 professional and amateur strokes and regularly works with PGA Tour players. In addition to putting, campers participate in wedge play, chipping, pitching, and bunker practice throughout the camp.
- Measure and analyze the putting stroke of each participant on SAM or TOMI
- Discuss the printout of each participant's putting stroke and compare with the best
- Discuss Find and agree on drills and exercises to improve
- Practice distance and directional control (Finding the speed of the greens and calibrating square)
- Ball control testing with focus on spin rates
- Trajectory control
- Distance control
- Distribution patterns
Chipping, Pitching and Bunker
- Discussing the fundamentals of the short game
- Understanding and utilizing the bounce of wedges
- Finding a repeatable technique for chipping, pitching and bunker shots
- Controlling the spin of the ball
- Adjusting to different types of lies, grasses and sands
- Club selection for various situations
- Choosing your landing spots
- Reading the green, grain, slope and speed
- The mental fundamentals of scoring
- The characteristics of the best putting strokes on tour
- Effective practice habits & training to score
- The college recruiting processes & what gains the attention of college coaches
- Training & practice away from the golf course
- The different types of strokes: square to square vs rotation and arc
- Adjusting to different grasses, grain and speeds of greens
- Green reading and pre-shot routine
Check-in and Check-out
Check-in occurs on Sunday, June 25th between 1:00-2:00pm at Southern Oaks Golf Club. Overnight campers will check-in to the dorms on the first night following all golf activities and dinner.
Check-out takes place at 4:00pm at Southern Oaks Golf Club on Tuesday, June 27th following a brief graduation ceremony.
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
Nike Golf Schools and Jr. Camps does not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. The packet we send to registered campers in the spring offers suggestions on shuttle services for each specific camp.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Southern Oaks Golf Club
Southern Oaks boasts a par-72 championship layout and spectacular practice facilities. The entire tee box, over 6,250 square yards, was sodded with 419 Bermuda grass and is meticulously maintained at fairway height. The spacious teeing ground can easily accommodate large events and the five target greens are spaced at precise yardages for work on distance control and accuracy. The 4,000-square-foot green allows golfers to hit chip and pitch shots from various angles and stances, as well as to practice recovery shots from different styles of sand and grass bunkers. In addition, Southern Oaks has a separate 10,000-square-foot undulating putting green that simulates on-course playing conditions to aid in your final preparations for the round.
Texas Christian University
Texas Christian University (TCU) is a private, coeducational university located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is ranked in the "Top 100 National Universities" by the US News and World Report and competes in NCAA athletics as a member of the Division I Big 12 Conference.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30 - 9:30am Registration, introduction, orientation meeting
- 9:30 - 11:45am Group stations - putting, chipping, pitching, distance wedges
- 12:00 - 12:45pm Lunch
- 12:45 - 3:00pm Group stations - putting, pitching, bunker, green reading
- 3:00 - 3:45pm Discussions - Effective practice habits, training to score, college golf
- 3:45 - 6:00pm Group stations - chipping, pitching, distance wedges, putting
- 6:00 - 7:00pm Dinner
- 7:00 - 8:00pm Competitions/contests
- 8:00 - 9:00pm Group discussions
- 10:00pm Lights out