Nike Golf Schools, Lawrenceville School - Sport and Language Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Our International sport and language program offers campers aged 14-18, the chance to hone their golf skills, practice their English and learn about the US college system while staying at a prestigious, private boarding school in the US.
Welcome to the NIKE Golf and ELS Language Camp at The Lawrenceville School. This combined camp program is designed for students looking to improve their golf game, improve their language and conversational skills, learn about and visit some top-notch colleges on the east coast and still have a time to meet new friends and experience new adventures.
Students attend a two or three-week ELS University prep program starting on June 29 and follow this with one or two weeks of Nike Golf Camp at The Lawrenceville School. The goal of the language program is to provide a combination of practical English skills, experential learning about the US University system and skills needed to be successful in an American university. This is done thorugh in-class subject matter and while on tours to area universities including Princeton University and St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia.
Our Nike Golf Camp, which is in its 18th year at Lawrenceville, combines technical instruction and analysis from top coaches along with supervised course play each day which is conveniently located on campus. The superb nine-hole, par 35 scenic golf course also features a spacious driving range, unique short game area, putting and chipping green. In addition to the daily instruction at the Lawrenceville School, campers are treated to a day-long outing and special Nike camp tournament at the historic and luxurious Skytop Lodge. The 5,500 acre resort situated in the heart of the Poconos, boasts an 18-hole championship golf course, which recently received 4-1/2 stars from Golf Digest.
Camp costs are inclusive of all language and golf instruction, housing, meals, round-trip airport transfers, activities and weekend programs.
International campers seeking a SPORT only multi-week camp should combine individual sessions (which start on July 6th), with weekend programs to create the perfect multi-week camp program. To view our individual camp sessions at Lawrenceville click here.
See video below for more insight into the ELS University Prep Program at Lawrenceville
- The University Prep language program offers 15 lessons per week, followed by University visits or off-campus activities.
- Small group learning with low student/teacher ratio for both language and golf instruction
- Over 30 hours of technical and golf instruction by the areas best coaches each week
- One-day trip to historic Skytop Lodge for 18-hole course play
- Nike amenity package including a hat, one dozen golf balls, a camp workbook, bag tag and other great prizes
- Fun, off-campus evening activities (movie night, basketball, field games etc.)
- Weekend program offers excursions to nearby amusement and water parks as well as a special trip to NYC to visit Liberty Island
- Immersion experience where campers will meet new American friends!
The Lawrenceville School
The Lawrenceville Golf Course is conveniently located on campus, directly across the street from the dorms. This superb nine hole, par 35 scenic golf course also features a spacious driving range, unique short game area, putting green and chipping green. Campers play the course each afternoon while receiving instruction on course management, shot and club selection, strategy, rules and etiquette and supervision. *Campers are housed on campus in the dorms at the prestigious Lawrenceville School.
Skytop Lodge Golf Course
In addition to the daily instruction at the Lawrenceville School, campers are treated to a day-long outing and special Nike camp tournament at the historic and luxurious Skytop Lodge. The 5,500 acre resort, situated in the heart of the poconos, boasts an 18-hole championship golf course which recently received 4 1/2 stars from Golf Digest.Meet your coaching staff
USGTA Golf Professional and Lawrenceville faculty member, Ronnie Kane, enters his 17th summer as Nike Golf Camp director. A former three sport athlete and graduate of Franklin Marshall College, Coach Kane is head basketball coach and director of golf at the Lawrenceville School. Ronnie’s positive personality and passion for golf are big reasons his camps are so successful. Coach Kane rounds out his staff with other golf professionals and collegiate players.
Ronnie is assisted by other teaching professionals and college players.
Overview of Sport + Language program
Campers can add a two or three week ELS University Prep language program prior to their NIKE Golf program. The ELS language program starts on June 29th and runs for three consecutive weeks through July 17th. The language program will be provided by ELS directly on the Lawrenceville campus. During the language program, international campers will reside on campus at Lawrenceville and will be supervised by ELS staff. Directly after the language program, either on July 13 or July 20, Campers will check-in with the Nike Golf camp also located on the Lawrenceveille campus and begin their one or two week golf camp. On the weekend, all campers will participate in the ELS weekend programs and be supervised by ELS camp staff.
How does the program work?
Language weeks: Campers arrive on Sunday and are greeted at the airport and brought back to the Lawrenceville School, just a short distance from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), by ELS camp staff. On Monday morning, ELS staff will test campers in their English proficiency and put them in the proper program for the week. Classes are held in the morning Monday through Friday from 8:30am -12:30pm. Classrooms are a short walk from the dorms. In the afternoons, campers will participate in planned activities which include shopping, visiting the Jersey Shore, a trip to Philadelphia and NYC as well as local college visits. Click here to see a weekly schedule. Weekend programs offer excursions to nearby amusement and water parks and special visits to NYC, the Statue of Liberty as well as a Philadephia City tour. (These excursions vary by weekend.)
Language Course Curriculum: ELS strives to provide a well-rounded academic experience during the University Preparation Program. Our custom designed expansion activities allow students to be removed from the formality of a classroom setting and placed in a new setting where they are involved in activities whichpromote and allow for communication and use of English in a free and relaxed format. All expansioin activities are led by ELS qualified and trained instructors. Students are allowed to select from topics they find interesting. Topics include American film, American Idioms, American Culture, Life on an American University Campus, Student Newspaper, Theater & Movement and Photography. Students have comment that these "mini" course are very useful in developing their confidence and speaking ability. For a complete program overview, click here.
NIKE Golf Weeks: Golf camp begin each Sunday with check-in at 4:00 pm. ( If you are doing the two week language program, Nike Golf camp would start on July 13, if you are doing the three-week language program, you would start on July 20.) Campers will be evaluated by camp staff and put into skill groups based on age and ability. Each session will include 30 hours of NIKE Golf instruction and course play and conclude with a graduation ceremony on the last day (Thursday) at 3pm. Campers choosing to stay for multiple sessions will participate in the ELS weekend excursion programs and be supervised by camp staff. For a detailed schedule, see below.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up
- 7:15am Breakfast
- 8:30am Skills and Training: Campers spend one hour at three different stations, putting & chipping, pitching & bunker, and full swing
- 11:30am Lunch & Free time
- 12:45pm Course play with instruction on strategy, course management, and etiquette
- 5:30pm Relax & downtime
- 6:00pm Dinner
- 6:30pm Evening activities (movie night, pizza night, field games etc.)
- 10:00pm Lights out!
Check-in & Check-out
- ELS Language Week check-in: June 29. Students will be met at the airport and brought to camp. (Detailed registration package to follow in April will include travel forms to arrange pickup.)
- Nike Golf Camp Check-in will be on the Sunday following the end of your language program. Campers check-in at 4pm and ELS personnel will escort the campers to the check-in area.
- Check-out: Graduation ceremony is on Thursday at 3:00pm. Check-out to follow between 3:30 - 4:00pm (on the last week of your program). All campers will be taken back to the airport after the last session of camp.
- All international campers will be met at Philadephia International Airport (PHL) by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: Philadephia International Airport (PHL)
- Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early arrival prior to Saturday, June 28th (the first day of Session I), nor may campers stay past Thursday, Friday 24th.
- For family or friends wishing to stay nearby, we recommend the Hyatt Place Princeton. To make a reservation, call 609-720-0200 or click here.
- Evening and Weekend Activities: Pre-organized evening/weekend activities will be offered to both ELS and NIKE Golf campers. All off-campus field trips are supervised.
- All-inclusive tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and weekend activities.
- Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check-in location, health & release forms, emergency contact info, and a packing list will be emailed to all registered campers in May of 2014. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and will be collected on the first day of camp. Supplemental health/medical insurance is included in all sport and language programs. For more details about this, click on Supplemental Insurance.