Nike Vogelsinger Soccer Academy at University of California, Santa Barbara Santa Barbara, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
The Vogelsinger Soccer Academy at the University of California, Santa Barbara, has been teaching soccer players and goalkeepers of all ability levels since 1982.
We have designed a program for serious players, those with a strong motivation to be their best! Our objective is to help you reach your highest potential. We start you on the right path, set your dream in motion, fire up your imagination, and leave you empowered to reach those goals.
Our professional staff consists of master teachers whose demonstrations include demanding instruction, step-by-step clarification, and playful joking to bring out the most sensitive technical points for you to grasp and imitate.
- Our international, professional coaching staff is selected for their passion for the game and their ability to teach. The ratio of coaches to players in the Academy is 1:8 and in the All-Star programs 1:10.
- Players receive a complete Nike uniform: All Star (one weekers) get two game jerseys, one pair of socks and shorts. Academy players( two or three weekers) receive two complete NIKE uniforms (two jerseys, two shorts and two pairs of socks). All players receive a NIKE soccer ball.
- We have what we consider an important part of the learning experience: self-evaluation at the beginning of the program and oral and written evaluations at the conclusion.
- Soccerobics, offered each morning at 6:45am, is a system of carefully designed exercises with the ball, incorporating soccer skills with aerobic and physical conditioning. Soccerobics is mandatory Monday-Wednesday (ages 13 and up). Voluntary Thursday and Friday. We encourage participation.
- Players are on-the-field training for 43 1/2 hours each week
- Special goalkeeping training is offered. The Vogelsinger Goalkeeper Academy provides specific and detailed instruction for the new generation of goalkeepers.
- Celebrating our 48th season of outstanding soccer training.
Located on bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean, sunny UC-Santa Barbara is a perfect getaway for superior summer training. It provides spacious grassy athletic fields for training, a university stadium for night games, an outdoor swimming pool for recreation, and a great beach for swimming. The campus is located 95 miles from Los Angeles, 215 miles from San Diego, and 320 miles from San Francisco.
Players stay at Tropicana Del Norte (formerly known as The Fontainebleu) in suite style rooms. Tropicana Del Norte was recently completely and beautifully remodeled, all suites have three bedrooms, two baths. Players stay eight to a suite.Meet your coaching staff
- USSF/FFC coaching license
- Former coach and official, Spain, Columbia, Peru, Venezuela, USA
- Director Soccer USA, New York
- 34th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
Graziano Baldanzi, Keeper Coach
- Professional player from 1972 to 1982
- Diploma Italian Committee Olympic Games 1994
- Diploma B UEFA 1999
- Professional goalkeeper Diploma 2011
- Former Italian Professional Player (Goalkeeper)
- 2nd year Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- Diploma B UEFA coaching license
- Former Italian professional player
- 14th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- UEFA A coaching license
- Former professional player, 1993-2011
- 807 international caps - 72 goals
- Professional coach, Australia
- 2nd year Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- USSF national C coaching license
- USSF Level II goalie coach
- USSF referee license
- US All Navy men's team
- San Diego Surf GU-9 Blue head coach
- Keeper coach Del Norte High School
- 2nd year Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- UEFA A coaching licence
- UEFA youth coaching licence
- Former professional player, 2000 - 2002 (Injury)
- Former Welsh youth international captain (U 18’s)
- Professional coach with Swansea City (English Premier League) 2004 - Present
- 2nd year Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- Former professional soccer player Atletico Morelia (Mexico)
- Atletico de Madrid 2nd division Spain
- University City High School Head Coach San Diego, CA
- Mexican Federation goalkeeping coaching license (FMF)
- The CIF, NF coaching license
- 17th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
Matt Kennedy, Technical Master Coach
- USSF A coaching license
- Ten year professional player: NASL, MISL, ASL, USL
28th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
Fabio Oliviera, Dribbling Master Coach
- Former, Brazilian professional player
- FDF Brazilian A coaching license
- Coach, A.A. ITAPEVA, Brazilian professional futsal team
Post Graduate Physiology Exercise and Soccer
and Futsal Training
- 6th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
Chris Quidley, Tactical Master Coach
- English F.A. coaching license
13th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
- Former professional player, Uruguay
- Coaching certificate, Instituto Superior de Educacion Fiscia, Uruguay
- University graduated PE, Master in Child and Youth Fitness
- University Chair Professor in Sports and Fitness
10th year with Vogelsinger Soccer Academy
Camp code: VGXRUC
THE VOGELSINGER METHOD
Our goal is to create an environment—a GAME-LIKE ATMOSPHERE—through dynamic teaching and coaching by explanation, demonstration and participation to assist each player in creating a METHOD TO SELF-TEACH.
It is a painstaking STEP-BY-STEP method. We must create for you a crystal-clear picture of what we are trying to teach through demonstration and explanation. You must understand clearly and be able to picture every little detail in your MIND’S EYE. Moreover, you then have to see yourself performing it successfully, and physically feel it and emotionally experience it.
The ultimate goal of self-teaching is INTERNALIZING MOTIVATION and knowing where you are, where you want to be, and how to get there step-by-step. We say you “FAIL YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS” because with this method, mistakes become your guidelines.
You will become a BETTER PLAYER. You will become a BETTER PERSON, as you will learn how to work toward the goals that you set for yourself.
How is the Vogelsinger Soccer program different?
- It’s not a training camp, it’s a technical teaching camp
- Students change bad habits and create new habits
- Coaches give a step-by-step dissection of the mechanics of soccer – students are taught to have a full body experience - to feel, see, and do things the correct way so that they can continue to self-teach when camp is over
- Students are pushed out of their comfort zone to try/experience techniques/skills they never have before
- Practice in game like atmosphere to experience that same passion, pressure, and desire that is needed to improve and compete with the best
- Unique and unmatched coaching method leaves students with a renewed motivation and passion for the game
- Program has been compared to outward bound for soccer – students really need to want to improve to benefit
UNDERSTANDING THE PROGRAMS
1. INDIVIDUAL SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
This is a program you cannot afford to miss. Coach Vogelsinger has distinguished himself as THE soccer educator. His passionate unwavering philosophy over the years is that a good technical foundation is the best tactical preparation. We offer a modern teaching method, uniquely innovative and highly motivational. It is the main reason for the program’s incomparable success.
—TECHNICAL SKILLS: The sessions are dynamic, taught in realistic technical skill sequences in ball control, passing, dribbling and striking with their correct tactical applications. Young professionals provide realistic game-like demonstrations. With uncanny perception and ability, Coach Vogelsinger has broken down the most sophisticated technical skills with clear step-by-step explanations. With on-going dialogue, the staff keeps you focused with reminders such as “happy feet,” “magic hop,” and “get out of your comfort zone.”
---EVENING GAMES: In our evening games you can test what you have learned that day. Games, mainly 4v4 or 5v5, as well as 11v11, with two goals and goalkeepers, give you the opportunity to maximize touches on the ball and your chances to finish on a real goal.
Beginners to Advanced. Coed.
Ages 9 and up. Players are grouped first by age and then by ability.
2. POSITIONAL CONCEPTS/ TECHNICAL PROGRESSION
What makes this program so special and exciting is that you are taught by coaches who have played your position at a very high level and are able to provide you with depth and insight into the technical, tactical, and intellectual aspects of each position.
—ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL SKILL SEQUENCES: We instruct you to better understand and perform your position of choice with special attention paid in highlighting the defensive and attacking skills needed in all positions.
—EVENING GAMES: Evening games of 4v4, 5v5, as well as 11v11, with two goals and goalkeepers, are designed to give you as many touches on the ball as possible and the chance to practice what you have learned during the day.
Intermediate to Advanced. Coed. Ages 10 and up.
Players are grouped by position, then age, and then re-evaluated by ability.
3. TACTICAL CONCEPTS/ POSITIONAL PROGRESSION
We assume you already have a fundamental skill repertoire and a basic understanding of your position. Techniques and tactics are reviewed in this program but now with the emphasis on playing at a higher pace and under realistic pressure.
The way the game is played is a direct reflection of a nation’s character. You are coached by someone from Sweden, Brazil, Holland, Uruguay, England, Denmark, Mexico, Italy, Spain or Morocco. You will get their views on how to play, and their passion for the game is quite evident.
—EVENING GAMES: Evening games are 11-a-side so that you can test your progress under intense realistic competition.
Intermediate to Advanced. Coed.
Ages 12 and up. Players enroll as a team or as individuals who are assigned to a team of comparable ability or age.
FIELD PLAYERS AND GOALKEEPERS:
Soccer Academy (3 weeks) and Mini Soccer Academy (2 weeks) Ages 12 +
Field players experience dramatic improvement in their coordination, harmony, and touch with the ball. The unique distraction free environment allows them to completely immerse themselves in the challenges, demands, and technicalities of the sport. Expectations run high and each player leaves with the necessary tools to continue to become the best athlete they can be.
Academy (June 23-July 13): Individual Skills and Techniques; Positional Techniques/ Technical Progression and Tactical Concepts/ Positional Progression
Mini Academy 1 (June 23-July 6): Individual Skills and Techniques & Positional Techniques/ Technical Progression
Mini Academy 2 (June 30-July 13): Positional Techniques/ Technical Progression and Tactical Concepts/ Positional Progression
All Star Soccer Schools (1 week)
We offer more specialized training in a shorter period of time. Each week of our school offers a different program and athletes can choose to work on anything from their individual player skills to those needed as a member of a dynamic team preparing for the fall season.
All Star School 1 (June 23-29): Individual Skills and Techniques
All Star School 2 (June 30- July 6): Positional Techniques/ Technical Progression
All Star School 3 (July 7-13): Tactical Concepts/ Positional Progression
Academy (3 weeks) and Mini Academy (2 weeks)
Goalkeeping programs provide an ideal environment for goalkeepers of high caliber and extraordinary commitment to challenge each other to be the very best. Goalkeepers experience the specific physical pressure of match play and are taught the benefits of visualization as a method of reaching an even higher level of performance.
All Star Goalkeeping Schools (1 week)
We offer more focused training so that individuals of the same skill level can learn and grow together. There are programs for the beginner, intermediate, and advanced skill level players. Professional coaches from all over the world help hone and perfect players’ tactical awareness and understanding of this important position.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 6:30am Wake-up
- 6:45am Soccerobics (Mandatory Monday-Wednesday), then voluntary. We strongly encourage participation.
- 7:15am Breakfast
- 8:45am On the field - Attendance
- 9:00am Stretching
- 9:15am Warm-ups
- 9:30-10:30am Individual technical skill instruction
- Advanced technical skill instruction
- Positional specific technical skill instruction
- Fast footwork/dribbling and feinting
- Advanced dribbling and feinting
- Position specific dribbling and feinting
- 10:30am Go for Goal: shooting with and without opposition
- Interpassing and finishing
- Interpassing, crossing and finishing
- Finishing 1v1 with keeper
- 11:00-11:30am Small-sided games (controlled)
- 11:30am Cool down, recreational activity/swimming(not all sites)
- Noon Lunch
- 1:00pm Mandatory rest
- 1:45pm On the field - Attendance
- 2:00pm Stretching and warm up games
- 2:30-4:00pm Individual tactical instruction
- Advanced tactical instruction
- Positional specific tactical instruction
- Individual functional tactical instruction
- Group functional tactical instruction
- Positional specific functional tactical instruction
- Team functional tactical instruction
- 4:00pm Go for Goal
- Shooting with and without opposition
- Interpassing and finishing/2 goals
- Interpassing, crossing and finishing/2 goals
- Finishing 1v1 with goalkeeper
- 4:30pm Cool down, recreational activity/swimming
- 5:00pm Dinner
- 6:00pm Mandatory rest
- 6:45pm On-field attendance
- 7:00-8:30pm Evening Games (small sided 11/side)
- Game preparation, stretching
- Warm-up and game instructions
- 8:30pm Cool down
- 9:30pm Evening Program: lectures, discussions; game videos
- 10:00pm Lights out for ages 13 and under
- 10:30pm Lights out for ages 14 and over
Celebrating our 48th year of soccer education.
Attend one, two or three weeks. We offer a variety of programs:
The 3-week Academy (21 days) is the most unique and advanced soccer education for the serious player.
The "Mini" Academy (14 days) is a condensed alternative to the 3-week Academy program.
The Vogelsinger All Star Soccer Schools are the only one-week schools that offer 6 action packed days.
We encourage all campers to attend our early morning Soccerobics session which is part of our conditioning and fitness program to prepare you for the day ahead. (6:45 a.m. daily) Created by Master Coach Hubert Vogelsinger, Soccerobics is a system of carefully designed exercises with the ball, incorporating soccer skills with aerobic and physical conditioning. With Soccerobics, you will develop your natural rhythm through muscle memory and visualization while learning the essentials of proper foot work as well. Mandatory Monday - Wednesday for ages 13 and up.
- Overnight Campers: Sunday between 2-3pm
- Extended Day and Day Campers: Sunday 3pm
Uniform distribution at 3pm.
A TOTAL PACKAGE: All Vogelsinger Soccer students receive, as part of their tuition, Nike gear and a Nike match ball. Academy players receive two complete sets of Nike uniforms and two pairs of socks. All Star players receive two jerseys, one pair of socks and shorts. Players are required to wear the official uniforms and socks at every field session. You may order extra uniforms from the office (888-780-CAMP), camp store or on-line.
Jersey: $15 Shorts: $15 Socks: $10.
Check out: Parents are invited to attend skills review session on Saturday at 9:00 am. Program ends at 11:30 am. Last meal is breakfast.
FOURTH OF JULY: All players and staff attend the Goleta fireworks display. The bus to Gersh Park and entry fee : $25. Must have permission slip signed.
Spending Money: For pizza, subs, sodas – suggested amount is $30 a week. We order pizza for late evening snacks, delivered at 8:30pm.
Dorms are not air conditioned. Bring linens or sleeping bag. Mornings and evenings are chilly. Please bring sweatshirts.
A certified athletic trainer is on full time staff.
Group Discounts: If 5 OR MORE players register together each player will receive $25 off each week's tuition. All applications MUST be mailed in together to qualify for the discount.
Early arrival: For students travelling from far distances may arrive a night early for an extra fee of $50.
Weekend Stayover for Academy and Mini Academy students: The weekends are “rest time” for multiple week students. There is a required schedule of non-physical activities on both Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
Saturday schedule: On field program 9-11:30. Lunch: noon; Free time: 1-4pm; Stretching and Visualization: 4-5pm; Dinner and free time: 5-8pm; Evening meeting and Blockbuster movie: 8pm.
Students can leave UNSUPERVISED but only if they have a signed permission slip. The permission slip is in the registration packet sent to Academy players only. Isla Vista is a very small village, located four blocks from the dorm. Shops/restaurants include Starbucks, burrito shop, Subway and small grocery store. Weekends are also a good time to do laundry (bring detergent and quarters).
Airport: Santa Barbara (10 min. from campus)
Preferred Airport Arrival: 12:00pm – 1:30 pm
Preferred Airport Departure: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Airport Shuttle: Transportation services can be arranged from Road Runner Shuttle, 800-247-7919 or www.rrshuttle.com. The fare is app. $15 each way for one person, $2 for each additional person. Local taxis are also available at the Santa Barbara Airport.Read camper reviews