Nike Ultimate Camp at Texas State University San Marcos, Texas
Join the fun this summer at the Nike Ultimate Camp at Texas State University in San Marcos. This youth ultimate camp is geared towards players ages 13-19 of all ability levels. Our summer camp staff is dedicated to providing an unparalleled experience for growth and development to youth ultimate players.
The Nike Ultimate Camp at Texas State University is a superb youth summer camp staffed by vastly experienced instructors who are passionate about the sport. We teach campers important fundamentals and techniques to help each camper improve their skills and understanding of the game. Campers will leave better prepared to play in the College Ultimate Division and beyond.
- Daily instruction from seasoned ultimate player and coach, Collen Conrad, and her experienced staff
- 5-6 hours of Ultimate each day
- Every camper receives a Nike Ultimate Camp jersey and Discraft disc!
- Spend a week on a college campus, getting a taste of life as a student
Campers will utilize the recreation fields at Texas State University.Meet your coaching staff
Colleen Conrad began her Ultimate career during graduate school at the University of Texas (Austin), where she played in the USA Ultimate college series with Melee. At the club level, she’s played with Showdown, Chewbacca Defense, and a number of other women’s and mixed teams. She has competed in three NCAA tournaments and six National Ultimate Championships.
Colleen is a seventh grade English Language Arts teacher and Head Ultimate coach at Kealing Middle School in Austin. She has almost 20 years of coaching experience at youth sports camps across the country, including the National Ultimate Training Camp in Massachusetts, the University of Texas’s Ultimate Day Camp, and Spirit Sports Camp in Maine. She has also served as the Youth Coordinator for the Ultimate Players League of Austin and collaborates on various Youth and Women’s Ultimate task forces with USA Ultimate and Without Limits. Many of her former players continue to pursue Ultimate opportunities at the college, national, and even international level. She’s excited to continue promoting Ultimate for kids across Texas and beyond.
Scott Etzel started playing ultimate over 10 years ago in high school in Houston, TX. He played college ultimate for five seasons at Texas State University. Scott has also played club ultimate with Houston's Space City and Seuss (among others). Scott is a USA Ultimate certified coach and middle school teacher. In 2014 he coached the Westlake High School ultimate team in Austin, TX. Scott has also led clinics internationally to various teams from the Dominican Republic.
Libby Cravens was a 2013-2014 women's ultimate coach for the university of Texas at Austin, mayhem. She has coached youth at the elementary to high school levels since 2007. With a background in soccer and cross country/track, she began playing ultimate in high school for fun and soon heard about the opportunity to play at UT. She played for Melee, UT's top team, until her eligibility ended in the 2011-2012 season as she was working on her masters. She was blessed to end on a high note earning 5th in the country. That season she also earned 5th in the coed club division at nationals, on the team she co-founded - Cosa Nostra. She has played on several club teams since 2008, but is currently helping to run a new women's team out of Austin - Ohana.
GUEST COACHING APPEARANCES BY:
- Chase Cunningham of Austin's Doublewide, captain of UT's TUFF
- Amy Kendziorski, 3-time coach of UT's Melee, Melee alum, co-ed player on BID & Cosa Nostra
- Janel Venzant of Austin's Showdown, Melee alum and coach
- Matt Reese, President of UT's TUFF and sports writer
2014 Camp Dates: July 27-31
(Camp Code: UFXRTS)
The Nike Ultimate Camp at Texas State University is a summer ultimate camp for high school players, age 13-19, who seek an exciting summer experience with the sport of ultimate. Campers can choose between Overnight, Extended Day (8:30am-9:00pm) and Day (8:30am-5:30pm) camp options.
Our camp is open to players of all ability and experience levels.
Our camp is for high school players from the ages of 13-19 (rising 9th graders through just graduated 12th graders who have not entered college yet).
Our camps are open to both boys and girls. Some activities will be done in a mixed environment and some will be done in a single gender environment.
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS: Daily Schedule & Information
• Sunday: Arrive at 1:00pm for check-in at the dorms. Campers should come dressed to play..
• Thursday: Awards Ceremony at 11:30am. Depart at 12:00pm. Parents and friends encouraged to come enjoy the closing events!
• Meals: All meals are provided daily for Overnight Campers starting with dinner on Sunday and ending with breakfast on Thursday.
EXTENDED DAY CAMPERS: Daily Schedule & Information
• Sunday: Arrive between 1:00-1:30pm for check-in at the dorms. Campers should come dressed to play. Depart at 9:00pm.
• Monday-Wednesday: Arrive at 8:30am. Depart at 9:00pm.
• Thursday: Arrive at 8:30am. Awards Ceremony at 11:30am. Check out at 12:00pm. Parents and friends encouraged to come enjoy the closing events!
• Meals: Lunch and Dinner are provided daily for Extended Day Campers starting with dinner on Sunday and ending with dinner on Wednesday.
DAY CAMPERS: Daily Schedule & Information
• Sunday: Arrive between 1:00-1:30pm for check-in at the dorms. Campers should come dressed to play. Depart at 5:30pm.
• Monday-Wednesday: Arrive at 8:30am. Depart at 5:30pm.
• Thursday: Arrive at 8:30am. Awards Ceremony at 11:30am. Depart at 12:00pm. Parents and friends encouraged to come enjoy the closing events!
• Meals: Lunch is included for all Day Campers Monday-Wednesday.
Campers will stay in the TSU dorms on campus. Each dorm room will house two individuals, and camp staff and counselors will be spread out throughout each floor. Roommates are assigned by gender, age and roommate requests.
Campers will play ultimate on the TSU athletic fields.
While the Nike Ultimate Camp at TSU is heavily focused on improving your Ultimate skills, campers will have plenty of social time. There will be many fun evening activities planned throughout the week which may include swimming, disc games, capture the flag, trivia and more.
We provide a ratio of 1 staff member for every 10 campers. This ensures lots of one-on-one attention and teaching for each camper.
The Nike Utimate Camp counselors and staff are hand-selected based on their ability to lead and supervise. We will have a staff member available for campers during all hours of the night should they need assistance. Campers will be transported to a local hospital in case of an emergency.
We will continue play during rain, but during extreme weather conditions, we will move indoors to work on fitness or have chalk talks.
Weekend Stayovers: Weekend stayovers are not available at this location.
Designated Airport: Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
Nike Ultimate Camps do not provide transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you have a camper arriving by air who is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there will be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake up and breakfast
- 8:30am Day & Extended Day Campers arrive; Warm Ups
- 9:00am Speed and Agility
- 9:30am Drills (Throwing, Cutting, Offense, Defense)
- 10:30am Scrimmaging
- 11:30am Lunch, Rest
- 12:30pm Chalk Talk (Rules – Leadership – Coaching – Strategy – Fundraising – Spirit of the Game – Inspiration Talks)
- 1:00pm Drills (Throwing, Cutting, Offense, Defense)
- 2:00pm Scrimmage
- 4:00pm Pool time
- 5:30pm Day Campers Depart
- 5:30pm Showers/Free Time for Extended Day & Overnight Campers
- 6:30pm Dinner
- 7:30pm Evening Fun Activities
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers Depart
- 10:00pm Lights Out for Overnight Campers