Nike Basketball Camp Durango High School
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Basketball Camps
Take charge of your basketball skills in summer 2019 with DHS Head Coach DeShawn Henry. This popular Las Vegas location offers it all: a fun, high-energy environment offering on and off-court training to help improve your overall game regardless of skill level.
The Complete Skills Camp helps players of all abilities develop athletically, refine fundamental basketball skills and enhance their skill set at the post, wing or guard position.
The Mini Camp compresses everything that the Complete Skills camp has to offer into two, action-packed days.
- Work on your skills and learn about leadership, confidence and teamwork
- Participate in off-court discussions to improve your basketball IQ and on-court game
- Receive a Nike Basketball Camp t-shirt and other prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director DeShawn Henry
This year marks DeShawn Henry's 20th year of basketball coaching, entering his 12th year as Head Coach at Durango High School and 14th summer as a Nike Basketball Camp Director. He has led 11 winning seasons for the Trailblazers and was named Coach of the Year in 2013-14 and 2015-16. Coach Henry has built a program that is dedicated to developing successful young players, fostering strong relations, and stressing the importance of academic excellence for his student athletes.View DeShawn Henry's Bio ⟩
- 20 years of basketball coaching experience
- 12 years as Head Coach at Durango HS, Las Vegas
- 11 winning seasons with play-off appearances at Durango HS
- Coach of Year – 2013-2014 & 2015-2016
- 14 years as the director of Nike Blazer Camp at Durango HS
- 56 players have advanced to the college level, 21 at the NCAA Division I level
- 2012 & 2013 LeBron Skills Academy coach
- 2008 Nike Global USA assistant coach
- 18 years as an assistant Track and Field coach
- USA Basketball Gold Certified Coach
- High school counselor at Durango HS
- Graduate of University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Skill Development Coach Jermaine Seagears
Jermaine Seagers kicks off his fourth year as Assistant Coach for Durango High School's Varsity Basketball Team and Sports Performance Trainer. Seagers is a USA Basketball Gold Certified Coach, former Division I student-athlete at University of Texas-Pan American and the founder of Work or Don't Eat, a motivational sports performance training company that inspires athletes to embody hard work in sports and in life.View Jermaine Seagears's Bio ⟩
- Founder/Director of Work or Don't Eat, a motivational, sports performance training and apparel brand
- 8 years of basketball coaching experience
- Sports performance trainer and basketball skill development coach at Durango HS
- USA Basketball Gold Certified Coach
- NCAA Certified basketball Scout and Recruiting Analyst for WODE Scouts
- Former Division I basketball player at the University of Texas-Pan American
- Graduate of the University of Texas-Pan American
Coach Carena McCary
Carena McCary is the Sports Medicine teacher at Rancho High School in Las Vegas, NV. McCary carries 6 years of basketball coaching experience and is also a certified athletic trainer for high school, college and professional athletes.View Carena McCary's Bio ⟩
McCary was a four year varsity letterman at Sierra Vista High School and graduated from Southern Arkanasas University with a Bachelor's Degree in Athletic Training and Master's Degree in Kinesiology & Coaching.
Coach Juwan Major
Juwan Major is a recent graduate and former Division I basketball player of Southern Utah University. After graduating, Juwan moved to Las Vegas where he now works as the Assistant Boys Basketball Coach and Physical Education teacher at Somerset Academy.View Juwan Major's Bio ⟩
- Juwan started 17 games
- Totaled 135 points, averaging 4.7 per game
- Finished with 19 steals and 12 blocks
- Appeared in 29 games, starting 21 of them
- Scored a total 153 on the season
- Finished the year with 12 steals and five blocks
- Grabbed 54 rebounds for his sophomore season
- Led the team with a .532 field goal percentage
- Appeared in 29 games, starting in eleven of them
- Scored a total of 140 points, averaging 4.8 per game
- Totaled 46 rebounds along with 13 steals and eight blocks.
- Lettered three years in basketball, also lettered in track
- Led his team to a conference championship in 2013
- Led his team to playoffs in the 2011, 2012,2013 seasons
- League MVP, First Team All- Conference
- Honor Roll Student
Mini Camp: May 30-31
Complete Skills I: June 3-7
Complete Skills II: June 10-14
MINI CAMP HOURS
Check-in: Thursday at 8:15am
Closing Ceremony: Friday at 2:20pm
Daily Hours: THURS-FRI 9am-3pm
COMPLETE SKILLS CAMP HOURS
Check-in: Monday at 8:15am
Closing Ceremony: Friday at 11am
Daily Hours: MON-THURS 9am-3pm FRI 9am-12pm
LOOKING FOR AN OVERNIGHT CAMP? Check out our coed Mesquite, NV camp also directed and coached by DeShawn Henry. For more information and to register: Nike Basketball Camp at Rising Star Sports Ranch.Show Less See More Camp Details
Lunch is not provided but will be available for purchase (cash only). Please bring a packed lunch or lunch money.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week. In addition, campers will be evaluated and then split up into smaller groups according to age and ability. Parents are invited to attend the closing ceremony! Departure immediately following.
Transportation is not provided by the camp to or from any airports. If you are flying to or from camp, we recommend using an airport shuttle service. Please schedule flights as close as you can to the check-in times on the first day and check-out times on the last day.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact numbers, and a checklist of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. The US Sports Camps health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
We cannot offer scholarships due to NCAA regulations. Our affiliation with NCAA coaches and schools puts us in a position where any scholarship money can be seen as an inducement to a future collegiate athlete. This puts our coaches and our host universities in jeopardy of damaging their status with the NCAA and incurring penalties at the hands of their organizing body.
*Please note, this information is subject to change.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 9:00 AM Stretching and conditioning
- 9:30 AM Instructional stations
- 10:30 AM Lecture
- 11:00 AM Team practice
- 12:00 PM Lunch, rest
- 12:45 PM Drills, stations
- 1:45 PM Skill contests
- 2:30 PM Full-court games
- 3:00 PM Campers Depart
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
My son learned something new everyday
June 12, 2018: The camp gave TJ the correct skills and drills to build upon. He learned something new everyday and said he had tons of fun
— Marissa H. Parent
My son loved this camp
June 9, 2018: Coaches and staff were kind, made sure each camper are accounted for and safe, most especially, the coaches kept the campers highly motivated. Coaches are well prepared, the program was hands down impressive! In all the years Aaron attended summer camp, the Nike Basketball Sawyer MS Camp was his favorite. He loved it so much, he can’t stop talking about it and shared all that he’s learned. He is looking forward to attending Series II. Thank you so much for making this summer a memorable experience for Aaron. The Nike Basketball Sawyer MS/Durango Trailblazers Camp is the best I’ve seen and my son has experienced. Awesome coaches, awesome staff, awesome program. Thank you
— Aileen G. Parent
Friendly and encouraging coaches!
June 9, 2018: My son loved the scrimmages. All the coaches were friendly and encouraging. My son loved in particular Coach Michael and Coach Meech.
— Bethany R. Parent
Experienced coaches and good guidance
June 2, 2018: Experienced coaches, on the spot guidance, Structured, conditioning
— Jessica C. Parent
Awesome emphasis on sportsmanship
June 2, 2018: Good variety of shooting drills; very organized; All staff were positive and encouraging; emphasized sportsmanship
— Rusty G. Parent
Coach Henry and staff are positive role models.
June 14, 2016: Coach Henry and his entire staff, regardless of age, reflected the positive reinforcement that is too often lost in modern youth athletics. My son came home reinvigorated and prepared for increased training.
— Amy M. Parent
My kids favorite camp.
June 14, 2016: Both of my kids said this was their favorite camp they have ever been to. Thanks.
— John C. Parent
My son learned something new every day.
June 17, 2016: My son was hesitant to go because he felt that he wouldn't learn anything. I asked him every day what he did at camp. He told me play-by-play and every day, there would be part of his story where he would say, "...and I learned..." I'm thankful we signed him up and he learned a few things that he will use as long as he decides to incorporate athletics in his life.
— Leondra D. Parent
My son was ready to go to camp every morning.
June 23, 2016: My son hasn't played basketball for very long and to see him excited and ready to go every morning was a joy.
— Karen J. Parent
Mom approved and recommended.
June 12, 2015: I really enjoyed how focused my son was and how excited he was to come back the next day. It was a great camp. Mom approved and recommended!
— Heather W. Parent
Great experience learning how to REALLY play.
June 25, 2015: It was a great experience learning how to really play the game with friends!
— Colin A. Camper
My grandson was always happy.
June 29, 2015: My grandson was always happy about going and wished it was longer.
— Denise K. Grandparent
My daughter loved this basketball camp!
July 3, 2014: My daughter loved this camp. It was challenging and she learned a great deal. Thank you. Wish you had more basketball camps in Las Vegas like thisl
— Alisa B. Parent