Nike Tennis Camp at the Cate School
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
Nike Tennis Camps is proud to bring you the new California location at the Cate School this summer. Campers will train with talented coaches on the beautiful campus in Carpinteria.
The Cate School tennis camp in Southern California prepares athletes for competition at the highest level. Experienced coaches provide a great environment for tennis players to improve their skills and have serious fun this summer.
- Expert instruction from Director Katya Welborn and her staff
- 5-6 hours of daily tennis training
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- Daily Swimming
- All campers receive a Nike Tennis Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Katya Welborn
After her college career Katya had the opportunity to the take the position at the Ojai Valley Athletic Club as the Tennis Pro and had been teaching since.View Katya's Bio ⟩
Katya grew up in Ojai, California and currently resides there. Growing up she was a pretty active child playing any sport she could get her hands on. In high school she was a avid basketball and tennis player. She was the number one tennis player for her varsity tennis team all four years of her high school career. She helped her team go to CIF two out of four of those years.
After graduating in 2008, Katya pursued her college education majoring in Communication of Arts at her local community college. While attending she played position number two singles and number one doubles for their tennis team. In 2010, Katya was recruited by Sonoma State University to play for their tennis team. She transferred and played for their DII tennis team during the two years she attended SSU. While attending SSU she majored in Graphic Design. During her college summers Katya worked as the assistant tennis summer coach for her local Athletic Club in Ojai, Ca, and has been part of the summer tennis program since 2010.
Katya is a part of the Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament committee, one of the oldest tennis tournaments going. She still manages on her free time to get out on the court and play some tennis for fun.
This year we are offering Overnight and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camps for boys and girls, ages 11-17, of all ability levels. See "More Camp Details" for further information.
2019 CAMP DATES
- July 15-19
- July 22-26
Camp Program Offerings
All sessions are open to players of all abilities. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
All Skills Program
The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
Tournament Training Program
The Tournament Training Program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
High School Program
The High School Program is provided for players (ages 13-18) currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
2019 SESSION SCHEDULES
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
SESSION I: JULY 15-19 | Session ii: July 22-26
- Overnight Camper Check-in: 9:00-9:30am on Monday.
- Day Camper Check-in: 10:00-10:30am on Monday.
- Check-out: 11:30am-12:00pm on Friday.
- Day Camper Schedule: Monday: 10:00am-5:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday: 9:00am-5:00pm, Friday: 9:00am-12:00pm
What's included in the fee?
- Daily tennis instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Day campers: Lunch is provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive Nike Tennis Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Extra Activities: Cate School offers an exciting opportunity for athletes looking to enhance their camp experience. Participating campers will be woken up a little earlier than their peers and will have a 90-minute strength and conditioning session on Tuesday - Friday with our EXOS Certified Trainers. This program was implemented with the Cate School athletes this past year and not only have they seen increased performance, but it has also drastically reduced the number of injuries during season across all sports. EXOS can be added on for an additional fee.
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camper Registration Packets, emailed to all campers closer to the camp’s start date.
- Campers Per Room: 1 per room, roommate requests will be placed in the room next door.
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared
- Linens: Campers may choose to rent linens for their dorm room for $30/week or to bring their own linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: Please refer to the Camper Registration Packet. A/C availability depends on our specific dorm assignment.
AIRPORT PICK UP PRICES:
- Round Trip from LAX: $275
- Round Trip from SBA: $50
- Airbus pick up in Carpinteria, Round Trip: $25
If you are flying to Southern California, we suggest flying to the Santa Barbara airport (SBA) or the Los Angeles airport (LAX). SBA is a 30 minute drive and LAX is a two hour drive from Cate. We pick up and drop off campers from the Santa Barbara airport for a fee of $50 ($25 one way) and from LAX in Los Angeles for a fee of $275 ($138 one way). If your child is flying as an unaccompanied minor, please notify Jessica Seriano (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Driver Pick Up times:
- LAX – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 10am
- SBA – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 12pm
Driver Drop Off times:
- LAX – Flights departing Friday between 2pm – 4pm
- SBA – Flights departing Friday between 12pm – 2pm
For those taking the Santa Barbara Airbus (www.sbairbus.com) from LAX to Carpinteria, we pick up and drop off campers in Carpinteria for a fee of $25 ($12.50 one way). Once you have arranged your travel, please let Jessica Seriano (Jessica_seriano@cate.org) know.
Anyone needing assistance with booking travel, we recommend contacting SB Travel for assistance. Cate School has worked closely with Santa Barbara Travel Bureau for many years, and they will be able to help arrange travel for students attending Cate Summer Institute. A ticketing fee of $40 per ticket covers researching the best times and fares and monitoring any subsequent flight schedule changes. Please contact Andrew Seligman at (800)266-5452, email@example.com.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do NOT require a doctor's signature. All required forms will be collected electronically through the Cate Sports Academy online system.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00-8:30am EXOS Strength and Condition Training (additional service, not included in camp tuition)
- 8:00-8:45am Breakfast
- 8:45-9:00am Day campers arrive
- 9:00-9:30am Roll call/Warm up
- 9:30-12:30pm Training session #1
- 12:30-1:30pm Lunch and rest
- 1:30-4:00pm Training session #2
- 4:00-5:00pm Swimming
- 5:00-5:30pm Day campers check-out
- 5:30-6:30pm Dinner
- 6:30-7:00pm Free Time
- 7:00-9:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights out
This top Southern California sports camp is held at the Cate School, located in beautiful Carpinteria, just south of Santa Barbara.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
No Reviews Available
This will be our first year running tennis camps at the Cate School.
— Nike Tennis Camps