Nike Tennis Camp at Carthage College
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
We're thrilled to be back at Carthage College this summer hosting the Rod Schroeder National Tennis Camp under new leadership! This junior tennis camp in Wisconsin offers overnight and day camps with All Skills, Tournament Training, and High School programs.
After three years of assisting Carthage Head Coach Brady Lindsley, Illinois Tech Head Men’s & Women’s Coach, Erik Scanlan has taken over at the helm to maintain the history of these renowned camps. Running over 40 years, the Rod Schroeder National Tennis Camp is steeped in tradition and provides the ultimate combination of athletics and fun, both on and off the courts.
- Instruction from Illinois Tech's Head Men's and Women's Coach, Erik Scanlan and his experienced staff
- Focus on 3 major concepts of the tennis game: technique, strategy, and mental game
- 5-6 hours daily tennis training
- Low camper to coach ratio
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Erik Scanlan
Scanlan brings a bevy of experience and energy to our Nike Tennis camp, which will accelerate the growth and abilities of all athletes participating.View Erik's Bio ⟩
Scanlan is the current Men's and Women's Head Tennis coach at Lenoir-Rhyne university in Hickory, North Carolina.
Scanlan is a former head coach of IIT. Illinois Tech saw tremendous growth since Scanlan started the program, including a conference championship for his Men's program in 2019.
Before IIT Scanlan was a part of Carthage College, where he served as a Graduate Assistant Coach for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. While at Carthage, both the men’s and women’s programs enjoyed great success going a combined 77-26, with two conference championships on the Men's side.
Prior to Carthage, Scanlan attended the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. A four-year letterwinner for the Warhawks and a two-time Team Captain, Scanlan collected 135 wins in his collegiate career, and earned NCAA Athletic All-American honors.
Scanlan provides a passionate and individual approach to each Tennis player he works with. "More importantly than winning Tennis, I focus on successful Tennis. Are you improving as a player, are you becoming a better person because of the work you put in on the court? If we can answer yes to these questions, we are successful in our training and coaching, and you will be successful on the court!"
Scanlan has amassed over ten years of coaching experience amongst Tennis clubs in Wisconsin and the Chicagoland area.
2023 CAMP DATES
- July 9-14
- July 16-21
- July 23-28
We are offering three weeks of Overnight and Day (8:00am-4:30pm) camp options for kids ages 9-17. This camp offers All Skills, Tournament Training, and High School programs.
All sessions are open to players of all abilities unless otherwise noted. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week. Throughout the week, the focus shifts between the technical, tactical, physical, and mental aspects of tennis. Mornings focus on the technique while afternoons are geared towards match-play situations.
- All Skills Program: The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
- Tournament Training Program: The tournament training program is geared towards tournament-level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- High School Session: The high school program is provided for players ages 13-18 currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
- Check-in: Overnight check-in between 1:30pm-3:00pm on Sunday at Tarble Hall. Day Campers check-in between 2:00pm-3:00pm at Tarble Hall on Sunday. Day Campers will depart that evening at 8:00pm
- Check-out: All campers check out 1:00pm on Friday. A graduation ceremony will take place right before checkout at Smeds. All parents are invited to come!
- Day Camp Program: Sunday 3:00pm-8:00pm, Monday-Thursday 8:00am-4:30pm, Friday 8:00am-12:30pm
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Daily tennis training, morning and afternoon sessions
- Meals: Our remodeled cafeteria now offers food-court-style dining with 5 different restaurant-type serving areas. Meals are served 3 times daily overlooking picturesque Lake Michigan. All meals are wholesome and nutritious. The campus Snack Bar, open evenings until 10:30, allows campers to grab a snack before bedtime.
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided
- Day campers: Lunch is provided (Monday-Thursday)
- Supervision: Staff members reside in rooms strategically placed throughout the dorm to provide optimal supervision and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Tennis Camps t-shirt and prizes
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 6:1 camper-to-coach ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience
- Equipment Needed: All campers must bring a tennis racquet, tennis shoes, and a water bottle
- Facility: Smeds Tennis Center: 10 outdoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camp Information Packets and emailed to all campers closer to the camp's start date.
- Dorm: Tarble Hall
- Number of Campers per Room: The Carthage administration has decided to allow campers to stay two per room upon prior consent from parents/guardians. In adherence to state and local guidelines, campers will be required to wear masks in all common areas (bathrooms, dining halls, lounge areas, etc) but will not be required to wear masks within their own dorm room or while on the court. We will accommodate roommate requests as well as pair up others two per room. If you are NOT comfortable with a double and prefer for your camper to stay in a single room, please let us know
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Linens: Bed linens are NOT provided. Please bring sheets, blanket, towel, facecloth, and pillow (Twin XL)
- Air Conditioning: The dorms do NOT have A/C. Campers are encouraged to bring a fan
- Evening Activities: Tennis is foremost in our schedule, but rest times and evening hours are filled with other leisure enjoyments. There are lounges for games of all sorts, pool tables, table tennis, and card games. Everyone becomes closely acquainted with each other, so these activities are full of laughter and fun. In addition, our program includes a movie night on campus and a bowling party!
- Weekend Stayovers: Not offered at this location
- Camp Store (New): The camp will have Gatorade, water, snacks, tennis accessories (grips, shock absorbers, etc..), and stringing ($20 per racquet) available at the “camp store” that will be open anytime we are on the Tennis court.
Campers are welcome to bring cash to use for this. There is also an Einstein’s Bagels and convenience shop open on the campus which campers can go to for lunch. Recommended amount $25-$40
Nike Tennis Camps do not provide transportation to/from camp from airports, train stations, or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into the Milwaukee or O'Hare Airport and take the airport shuttle from the airport to camp. Milwaukee Airport (45 min from campus) and O’Hare (1 hour from campus). Milwaukee is the easier airport to choose.
Airport Shuttle: Transportation to campus can be arranged through Go Airport Connection at 1-800-236-5450 or by fax at 414-769-0209. Reservations are required. www.goairportconnection.com. MKE approximate cost: $49 one-way, and $5 for each additional person. Chicago ORD approximate cost: $142 one way, $150 for 2 people person). There is a 5% discount if you book online.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
Athletic, on-court tennis clothing
Tennis shoes (no running shoes)
Sweatshirt/warm-up jacket and pants
Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
Athletic clothing mentioned above (1-2 pairs/day)
Comfortable off-court clothing (pants/shorts, t-shirts, sweatshirts 1 paid/day)
Swimsuit and towel (subject to change)
Shower flip flops
Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
Personal items & medications
Washcloth and bath towel
Bed sheets (if linens are not provided)
Comforter/blanket (if linens are not provided)
Pillow/pillow case (if linens are not provided)
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE TENNIS CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our tennis camps please see our FAQ page
Maximize your camp experience with SwingVision, an iPhone app that provides the following benefits when you record your play: watch a full match in 20 minutes with the dead-time automatically removed, view stats like shot placement, court positioning, shot speed, and consistency for each shot type, filter to particular shot or point types and easily create highlight videos of certain points or shots, access video analysis, and stats immediately after you finish recording, all on unlimited cloud storage.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake up Call… Rise and Shine (Straighten up room)
- 7:00am-8:00am Breakfast and fill up water bottles
- 8:00am-8:15am Meet in front of Tarble Hall to be shuttled to the tennis courts and help coaches set up equipment
- 8:15am-11:00am Morning Tennis (Strategy and Drills)
- 11:00am-11:15am Shuttle to the dorms
- 11:15am-11:30am Bank is Open
- 11:30am-12:45pm Lunch
- 12:45pm-1:00pm Shuttle to the courts
- 1:00pm-4:30pm Afternoon Tennis (Mental Strategy & Match Play)
- 4:30pm-4:45pm Shuttle to the dorms
- 5:00pm-6:00pm Dinner
- 6:00pm-6:15pm Shuttle to the courts
- 6:15pm-7:45pm Evening Tennis (Serving & High Intensity Drills)
- 7:45pm-8:00pm Shuttle to the dorms
- 8:00pm-10:00pm Evening Activity
- 10:00pm-10:30pm Wind down (Ger ready for bed)
- 10:30pm Lights Out
July 18, 2023: How the counselors/coach make the learning fun exciting and enjoyable.
July 29, 2023: Meeting new people and lots of tennis!
July 29, 2023: Charlotte loved dorms and night tennis!
July 16, 2023: Lots of tennis, great staff and food and FUN
July 29, 2023: Changed my daughters serve for the better
July 15, 2023: My son improved his game and had a good time!!
July 18, 2022: Eric is an exceptional coach and his support staff very skilled.
July 30, 2023: My daughter making new friends, significantly improving her skills
July 22, 2023: Great food options, organized and friendly staff, high quality tennis
July 29, 2023: My Daughter won a very close match for her team to finish first place.
July 16, 2022: The coaches and working with kids from all over with different skill levels.
August 14, 2023: Son enjoyed the camp, made friends, played a lot of tennis, got to experience a week away
July 22, 2023: The fact that child enjoyed his first overnight camp experience, and he would like to return.
July 15, 2023: Erik is a great leader; instructors all friendly and knowledgable with great tennis experiences
July 28, 2023: child had a wonderful time, making new friends, being independent while improving tennis skills!
July 22, 2023: This was the first overnight experience, and the fact that kids said they would like to do it again.
July 24, 2022: The personalized advice I got from counselors at the camp and the well designed activities at the camp that facilitated learning greatly.
July 29, 2023: Rahael really enjoyed the camaraderie of the coaches. Poker nights, how to train your dragon and vigorous daytime tennis made for a great week.
Skills have improved in just one week!
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.