Presented by Hazel Clark, Camp Director
Nike Clark Family Running Camp at the Peddie School
Tips for success from the Clark Family Running Camps
• The Clark family knows what it takes to be a top track and field performer. The family boasts 12 consecutive Olympic team berths and multiple world and national titles.
• Start with a goal
• 3x Olympian Hazel Clark recommends setting both a short and long term goal. The short term goal should feed until the long term goal. An example of a short term goal may be getting up before school for morning runs twice a week. A long term goal may be running a personal best or qualifying for states.
• A plan for success
• Once you set a goal you have to make a plan to reach it. Think about what it will take to get where you want to be and keep a training log to reference your progress
• Little things become big things
• Remember the little things can add up to big results. Remembering to stretch. Drink water, eat healthy balanced meals and get proper sleep can help immensely with performance.
• Expectations aren’t pressure
• Don’t see expectations as pressure see them as opportunity. You have the opportunity to be your best and if you do that you have achieved success. As the youngest in a family of Olympians I felt like our Olympic legacy was a burden. But I have learned that I was very blessed to be born into a family of champions who have helped to guide my career. The only thing that any athlete can control is doing there best. Do your best and have fun doing it!