Nike Clark Family Running Camp at The Pennington School
2024 DATES & PRICES NOW AVAILABLE!
2024 Dates Announced!
At the Clark Family Running Camp we understand the importance of proper training and educating young runners. We work with High School athletes (including rising 9th graders) of all abilities to help you get better.
Located in Pennington, NJ, The Pennington School offers the perfect setting for both our XC and T&F training programs. This beautiful 54 acre campus offers running trails, an outdoor track and turf field, as well as being located a short distance from Rosedale Park for morning training runs for our XC campers!
The Nike Clark Family Running camp is directed and facilitated by its original creators and members of the royal family of track and field, the Clark Family. Hazel Clark, Joetta Clark and Jearl Miles Clark have 12 Olympic teams to their credit, and made history when they swept the 2000 Olympic trials under the coaching of world class coach JJ Clark, brother of Hazel and Joetta, and husband to Jearl Miles Clark.
- Choose from XC or Track and Field
- No Pole Vault or Javelin in 2023
- Open to High School XC and T&F athletes (including rising freshmen)
- Overnight and Extended Day options
- Individual and Group instruction
- Specific training for all skill levels.
- 10:1 camper to staff ratio
- Nike Running Camp T-shirt
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Hazel Clark
Hazel Clark is an American middle-distance runner who specializes in the 800 meters middle distance race. Clark was a member of the U.S. Olympic team in 2000, 2004 and 2008. She has won six national titles and two USA Olympic Trials events during her career.View Hazel's Bio & Track & Field Tips ⟩
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
Please Note: This camp SOLD OUT in 2023. You can expect high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
The Clark Family has designed a comprehensive training camp program which focuses on fundamentals including drills, technical skill development, pacing, endurance, and core strengthening, as well as the mental edge necessary for top performances.
The Clark Family Running Camp allows Olympians, elite athletes and world class coaches to positively impact the lives of young athletes in an unprecedented way.
These camps transcend athletics and provide campers with the tools necessary to be a champion.
Hazel Clark states that “the Clark Family Running Camps offer expert instruction from our staff of Olympic stars in a challenging, fun and inspiring environment. Track and Field has given us amazing opportunities and we look forward to positioning upcoming athletes for ultimate success.”
- Dates: July 21-25, 2024
- Age Group: 13-17
- Gender: Co-ed
- Camp Type: Overnight, Day
- Meals: All meals are provided at the on-campus dining facility. Day campers do NOT receive breakfast or dinner
- Check-in (Overnight only): Sunday, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM
- Check-out (All campers): Thursday, 12:00 PM
- Location: Campus Center- Pennington School
- Day Camper Schedule: Monday - Wednesday, 8:30 AM-4:00 PM; Thursday, 8:30 AM-12:00 PM
- View the campus map here
- Jumps (No Pole Vault)
- Throws (No Javelin)
- Middle Distance
- Distance/Cross Country
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
- Dorm: Assigned at check in
- Campers Per Room: 2
- Roommates: Guaranteed if requested 14 days prior to camp
- Bathrooms: Shared on floor
- Linens: Not provided
- Air Conditioning: No, fan recommended
- Key Deposit: We require a $25 room key deposit, made by check, payable to US Sports Camps. Your check will be held the duration of the camp, and will be returned at camp check-out, contingent the room key is returned.
Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEES:
- Overnight Campers: Features several instructional sessions per day, three hot meals, and lodging in residence halls. An evening recreation program is also included.
- Day Campers: This option offers the same features as the resident camp minus lodging, breakfast, and dinner (Day Campers should eat breakfast before daily check-in).
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10
- Grouped by: age, ability, current mileage, and experience
- Equipment needed: Campers should bring at least two pairs of broken in running shoes. Racing flats/spikes are optional. Please be sure to properly mark your equipment, so that it can be easily identified.
- Facility: Pennington School track stadium
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING:
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Extra Athletic clothing
- 1-2 pairs of broken in running shoes/ event spikes
- Non-running shoes
- Water bottle
- Small gym bag/backpack
- Extra spending money (suggested $40)
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
- Athletic clothing mentioned above
- Comfortable non-running clothing
- Underwear and socks
- Flip flops
- Personal items & medications
- Washcloth and bath towel
- Alarm clock
- Swimsuit and towel
- Pen and paper for notes during guest speakers
- Cell phone (if you have one)
- Fan (optional)
- Pillow, pillowcase, bed sheets, comforter or sleeping bag (linens are NOT provided)
- Laundry detergent
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE TRACK & FIELD CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our Track & Field camps please see our FAQ page.
Fun Facts about the Clark Family
- Hazel Clark is a three-time Olympian and the founder of Future Olympian Sports Clinics and US Embassy appointed sports envoy.
- The late Dr. Joe Clark is the patriarch of the family and the subject of the movie Lean On Me.
- Joetta Clark Diggs is a four-time Olympian and the founder of the JCD Sports Foundation.
- Jearl Miles Clark is a five-time Olympian and American Record Holder.
- JJ Clark is a 22 time Coach of the Year, a member of the 2008 Olympic team coaching staff, and is the Franklin P. Johnson Director of Track and Field at Stanford University, overseeing Stanford’s track and field and cross country programs. Coach Clark has coached numerous NCAA champions, national champions, national team members and world class athletes.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake Up
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8:45am Group Check In
- 9:00am Depart to Rosedale Park (XC Campers)
- 9:30am Warm-up/Stretching/Drills
- 10:00am Training Run/Work Out
- 11:00am Cool Down/Stretching/Water Break
- 11:30am Return to The Pennington School (XC)
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm - 1:30pm Free Time
- 1:30pm - 2:30pm Breakout Session and/or Guest Speaker
- 2:30pm - 3:30pm Drills/Core Strength
- 3:30pm - 5:00pm Pool / Rest
- 5:00pm - 7:30pm Dinner/Free Time
- 7:30pm - 8:30pm Camp Activity
- 9:00pm Dorm Rooms/Bed Check
- 10:00pm Lights Out
Founded in 1838, The Pennington School encompasses 54 acres complete with an outdoor track and nearby running trails. Located just 40 miles from Philadelphia and 60 from NYC, Pennington is centrally located with easy access for our campers coming from across the Northeast. Overnight campers stay in the air conditioned dorms on campus and eat in the school's dining hall. Lunch and dinner are included for our extended day campers.
Camp Questions & Answers
Are the campers supervised throughout the camp?
Yes, campers are supervised by the coaches and staff. Staff members reside in the same dorms as the campers and provide supervision during instruction, dining times, evening activities, and in the dorm.
All staff members complete criminal and sex offender background checks before working the camp
Does this camp have medical personnel on staff?
We have a certified athletic training on-site and a doctor on-call at all times in case of a training injury or medical ailment/emergency.
How many campers are placed in a dorm and do you accommodate roommate requests?
Most rooms are doubles though we do have some singles and triples. When you register for the camp, you have an option to submit a roommate request. If you would like to add a roommate request after registering for a camp, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email. We accommodate all roommate requests, made before 2 weeks before the start of camp, if placed in a double room dorm. If we must place the camper in a single, we will room them side by side. Campers who do not submit a roommate request will be placed in a dorm with other runners, similar age and same gender.
Do the dorms have air-conditioning?
Dorms are air-conditioned.
Can you accommodate special dietary needs?
Campers dine in the school cafeteria which offers a variety of different meal options that are sure to accommodate most campers’ dietary needs. In the case that a camper possesses extreme dietary restrictions, please reach out to school’s Dining Services to make the proper accommodations.
Can I come to camp alone or do I have to be a member of a team?
We welcome individual campers and teams. If you come to camp by yourself, we place you in a dorm room with another single camper, similar in age. It's a great place to meet new friends who share your enthusiasm for the sport and to have FUN!
Does the Health & Release Form need to be signed by a doctor?
Our Health & Release Form does not require a doctor’s signature. This form is required to be filled out accurately, signed by the parent (guardian), and submitted online before arrival on the first day of camp.
There are swimming sessions listed on the schedule if my child can’t swim will there be alternate opportunities for training?
We have numerous cross training workout options
My child is new to the sport, do you accept athletes who are beginners in the sport?
XC session - camp participants should have some cross country running experience and be able to run a minimum of 3-5 miles per day.
T&F session - athletes of all experience/ability are welcome.
July 29, 2022: Before we even got to check in, Coach Jackson and Coach Clark recognized my daughter from last year's camp and welcomed her with open arms. My daughter loved the workouts and the hands on approach to making her become the best version of herself. She loved the energy of the coaches and counselors at the camp.
July 28, 2023: Hazel Clark and the Clark family continue to create remarkable learning opportunities for the athletes. The staff is friendly, knowledgable, and inspiring. This was my daughter's 2nd year here.
July 29, 2022: The morning runs were always very fun, as well as the competitive and supportive atmosphere. Also, learning so much valuable information from such experienced coaches was great
July 29, 2022: The leadership is the most amazing! They inspire the kids to improve themselves all around. They show how to care for others and be kind too.
July 31, 2022: Morning motivation at 6:30 am. Running with Mrs. Hazel Clark. Wow, that's hard! But what an experience and life lesson experience.
July 28, 2023: My highlight of the camp was the crab walking soccer because everyone was getting competitive and it was fun.
July 21, 2023: My son loved the competition and the ability to cool off with a swim at the end of the day
July 29, 2022: Hazel Clark, the coaches, and counselors were AMAZING. Super motivational and energetic!
July 29, 2022: The Junior Counselors and everyone shared a common knowledge of getting better
August 3, 2022: Having Olympian coaches and running with very elite high school athletes.
July 30, 2023: Meeting new people and developing strategies to perform better
July 28, 2023: Being able to meet new people and improve on my track skills.
July 28, 2023: Quality of training and coaching was outstanding.
My daughter enjoyed the balance of training with social/recreational activities. She also loved the coach
— Parent of Attendee from This Camp in 2022
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.