Nike Union Athletics Club Middle Distance Camp
2024 DATES & PRICES NOW AVAILABLE!
The Nike Union Athletics Club (UAC) brings its professional middle-distance coaching style and successful training philosophy to the Nike UAC Middle Distance Track Camp.
Immerse yourself in the first of its kind, dedicated middle distance camp, with the best middle distance club in the world. Run shoulder to shoulder with UAC professional athletes and top collegiate runners from around the country, while being coached by the UAC coaching staff.
Come make new friends, participate in fun evening activities, and experience the complete 365 training philosophy of Pete Julian and the UNION ATHLETICS CLUB, which has developed World Champions, Olympic Medalists, and multiple National Record Holders from the US, Germany, Australia, and Japan.
Hosted at George Fox University, campers have the opportunity to learn from some of the world's best track and field coaches and athletes about individual and team excellence.
- For High School Middle Distance Runners (800m/1500m/mile), entering grades 9-12.
- Middle Distance camp experience: featuring daily runs and track workouts, as well as informative breakout sessions, and talks given by internationally recognized guest speakers.
- World Class Middle Distance Training & Coaching.
- Fantastic Facilities: beautiful Oregon surroundings, state-of-the-art track facility and breathtaking running trails.
- Nike Camp T-Shirt + Prizes
- View More Details ⟩
Head Coach Pete Julian
Pete Julian is the Head Coach and founder of the Union Athletics Club.View Pete's Bio ⟩
Director Mark Del Monaco
Coach Del Monaco began coaching in 2013 in Denver, CO at Metro State and has been coaching the last 10 years at the collegiate level with stops at CSU East Bay, Minot State, and now Tiffin University as the Head Cross Country / Assistant Track Coach.View Mark's Bio ⟩
Assistant Coach Sonia O'Sullivan
Sonia O'Sullivan is one of the greatest runners of her generation, being only one of two women to have won both the long and short course World Cross Country titles in the same year ('98).View Sonia's Bio ⟩
Physical Therapist & Strength Coach David McHenry
David McHenry is the Physical Therapist and Strength Coach for Union Athletics Club.View David's Bio ⟩
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect a high demand on these limited first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
Join us this summer at the Nike Union Athletics Club Middle Distance Camp and train with the #1 middle distance team in the world at this first-of-its-kind Middle Distance Camp, offering a rare opportunity to learn from some of the best middle distance coaches in the world.
This Middle Distance Camp is designed for 800 & 1500m/mile High School Track & Field athletes, providing a holistic approach to middle distance running, by providing specific middle distance workouts, tailored to the 800m & 1500m/mile, as well as teaching campers about general training philosophy, racing strategy & tactics, nutrition, strength & conditioning, as well as injury prevention and recovery.
“Training for the 800m/1500m in this new era takes a specific type of training and specific mindset. All too often, true middle-distance athletes get thrown in with either the long-distance group or the long sprinters. But that won’t be the case with this camp. If you’re an 800m and/or 1500m specialist, you’ll learn the principles and training methods that apply to your specific event. It will be the first camp of this kind,” says Pete Julian, Director and Head Coach of UAC.
Taking place at George Fox University, a short trip from Portland, Oregon, the Nike UAC Middle Distance Camp provides a first-hand experience of what it’s like to train as a professional UAC athlete, as well as providing tools for preparing for your big race, both physically and mentally.
Campers should expect to work hard at camp, but there will also be plenty of breakout sessions and guest speakers, as well as some super fun team activities.
- Dates: June 30-July 5, 2024.
- Age Group: 13-18 (High School)
- Gender: Co-ed
- Camp Type: Overnight, Day
- Overnight Schedule:
- Check-in: Sunday, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM
- Check-out: Friday, 12:00 PM
- Overnight Schedule:
- Day Schedule:
- Check-in: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM
- Check-out: Monday-Thursday, 4:00PM; Friday, 12:00PM
- Location: Edwards Residence Hall- George Fox University
- View the campus map here
- Meals: All meals are provided at the on-campus dining facility.
All Campers should arrive at camp, prepared to run on Sunday, the 1st day of camp.
- High School Level Varsity Runners.
- Middle Distance: Campers should compete in the 800m, 1500m/mile.
- The Nike Union Athletics Club Middle Distance Camp offers a challenging training program for middle distance runners.
- Please DO NOT come to camp if you have any pre-existing injuries, are not completely healthy and ready to run a minimum of 20-25 miles (including w/o volume) during camp.
- Campers should be prepared to run at least 5 miles per day.
- Mileage/Work Out Effort:
- depends on experience and current camp fitness.
- training groups are based on current fitness level, track experience, mileage per week, personal best time (in primary event focus).
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
- Dorm: Edwards Hall
- Campers Per Room: 2
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Linens: Not provided
- Air Conditioning: No, fan recommended
- Key Deposit: $100 check made out to US Sports Camps
Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEES:
- Overnight Campers: Features several instructional sessions per day, three hot meals, and lodging in residence halls. An evening recreation program is also included.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Grouped by: age and ability
- Evaluation: by coaching staff
- Equipment: Campers should bring at least two pairs of broken in running shoes. Spikes/racing flats are optional. Please be sure to properly mark your equipment, so that it can be easily identified.
- Facility: George Fox University track, local roads/trails
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING:
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Athletic clothing
- 1-2 pairs of broken in running shoes/ event spikes
- Non-running shoes
- Water bottle
- Comfortable non-running clothing
- Underwear and socks
- Flip flops
- Personal items & medications
- Washcloth and bath towel
- Alarm clock
- Swimsuit and towel
- Pen and paper for notes during guest speakers
- Cell phone (if you have one)
- Fan (optional)
- Pillow, pillowcase, bed sheets, comforter or sleeping bag (linens are NOT provided)
- Extra spending money (suggested $40)
- Laundry detergent
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
Portland International Airport (PDX) - 35 miles from George Fox University
- Preferred Flight Arrival: 11:00am – 12:00pm Sunday
- Preferred Flight Departure: After 1:00pm Friday
Airport transportation is NOT provided.
Transportation is available from PDX via ridesharing companies (e.g., Lyft, Uber), as well as pre-booking via Point to Point (503) 282-0553 or [email protected].
Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE TRACK & FIELD CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our Track & Field camps please see our FAQ page.Show Less See More Camp Details
Sample Daily Schedule
- 6:30am Wake Up
- 7:00am Breakfast
- 8:00am Depart Morning Workout
- 11:00am Guest Speaker
- 12:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm Active Rest/Recovery
- 2:00pm 2nd Training Session
- 3:30pm Free Time/Rest & Recovery
- 5:00pm Breakout Session/Guest Speaker
- 6:00pm Dinner
- 7:00pm Group Fun + Activities
- 9:00pm Dorm Room Check
- 10:00 Lights Out
George Fox University's Stoffer Family Stadium, located adjacent to the Wheeler Sports Center, serves as home to the university's track and field and football programs. The facility includes a covered grandstand with permanent-seating capacity of over 2,700 and a 14,000-square-foot Duke Athletic Center facility. The stadium also features the synthetic-turf Lemmons Family Field and one of the largest video boards in all of Division III athletics.
In 2021, the track was resurfaced, making it one of the top facilities for outdoor meets in the Pacific Northwest. The track features an Olympic-caliber BSS 2000 synthetic surface from Beynon Sports with a force- reduction layer of high-performance butyl rubber and Hobart texture.
The Nike Union Athletics Club Middle Distance Camp is open to High School Middle-Distance (800m/1500m) runners, who have experience running for their high school and/or club team at a competitive level.
Camp Questions & Answers
When and where will the check-in and check-out take place for the Nike Union Athletics Elite Middle Distance Camp?
All campers check in to camp between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm on Sunday, the first day of camp.
Check-in and check-out will take place at George Fox University at the residence halls. Follow the signs on campus to the check-in/check-out locations.
After camp graduation, check out takes place at 12:00pm on Friday.
How are runners placed in their running groups?
The UAC coaches & staff will create training groups based on a combination of current fitness level, weekly mileage/volume, personal best(s) @ 800m and/or 1500m/mile, as well as track and field experiences.
A change in training group can be accommodated following discussion between camp coaches, if the coaches feel the move is appropriate.
What are some of the evening activities that are planned for the campers?
Fun and exciting evening activities are an important part of the camp experience and are carefully planned by the staff.
Possible activities include guest speakers, talent show, running movies, race highlights, and more.
Does George Fox University dining accommodate special dietary needs?
Yes. The on-campus dining facility provides a wide variety of foods for campers to choose from that meet the requirements for dietary restrictions/allergies.
Are the campers supervised throughout the camp?
Yes, campers are supervised by the coaches and staff. Staff members reside in the same dorms as the campers and provide supervision during instruction, dining times, evening activities, and in the dorms.
All staff members complete criminal and sex offender background checks before working the camp.
Does Camp offer transportation to and/or from Eugene or Portland Airports?
No airport transportation provided.
Portland International Airport is a 1hr (35 miles) drive from camp, with private car services available.
Eugene Airport is a 1hr 45min (100miles) drive from camp. There are private shuttle/car services which should be booked privately.
Please email [email protected] for more information.
Can I come to camp alone or do I have to be a member of a team?
Nike UAC Middle Distance Camp welcomes individual campers and teams. If you come to camp by yourself, we place you in room with another single camper, similar in age.
It's a great place to meet new friends who share your enthusiasm for the sport and to have FUN!
Does Nike UAC running Camp have medical personnel on staff?
We have a certified athletic training on-staff and a doctor on-call at all times in case of a training injury or medical ailment/emergency.
Does the Health & Release Form need to be signed by a doctor?
Our Health & Release Form does not require a doctor’s signature.
This form is required to be completed accurately and submitted online before camp arrival.
How many campers are placed in a dorm and do you accommodate roommate requests?
Campers stay in the residence halls at George Fox University in rooms of 2-4. When you register for the camp, you have an option to submit a roommate request. If you would like to add a roommate request after registering for a camp, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email. We accommodate all roommate requests, made before 2 weeks before the start of camp. Campers who do not submit a roommate request will be placed in a room with other runners, similar age and same gender.
Is swimming offered at camp?
We have a pool and weight room available.
Do the dorms have air-conditioning?
Yes, the dorms on campus have air conditioning.
How many miles do we run each day?
Athletes will normally run twice a day, once on the track (track workout) and once on trails, but this can vary depending camper profile and camp scheduling (based on coaches analysis of each camper).
Actual distances/volumes vary based on runner’s current camp fitness, mileage, and experience.
At the UAC Middle Distance Camp, coaches/staff strive to provide as much individual training/programing as possible.....we hope to offer as much specific training as possible in a camp environment.
July 17, 2023: Meeting coach Julian and the pro athletes from UAC was a unique and super cool experience!
July 17, 2023: Learning about race strategy, different workouts; Q&A (&selfies!) with pro athletes
July 30, 2022: Spending time and learning from so many professional athletes and coaches!
July 30, 2022: small amount of campers and the time spent with professional athletes
August 8, 2022: learned a lot about middle distance and will apply it in the near future
July 17, 2023: Meeting kids with same interests and learning from pro athletes
July 15, 2023: Being with kids that shared my passion for running.
[The highlight of camp was] watching my child's improvement just after the first session
— Parent of Attendee from a Similar Camp in 2022
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.