SPIRE Throws Camp with Kibwe Johnson
2024 DATES & PRICES NOW AVAILABLE!
Gain the competitive advantage needed to achieve your peak potential in throws with the SPIRE Kibwé Johnson Throws Summer Camp. Train in a world class facility with instruction from one of the world’s most experienced and decorated Track & Field athletes, Kibwé Johnson. Learn what it takes to train like pro with instruction from a two-time Olympian and champion at the highest levels. Campers will receive customized training in throws with an opportunity to develop long-term athletic growth specific to track & field athletes. Aside from improving speed and efficiency in throws, work directly with our SPIRE Academy Track & Field coaching staff on personal skill development critical to becoming a well-rounded athlete. The SPIRE Performance Training Team will spend time with you to assess your physical capabilities and instruct you through workouts designed specifically for your sport.
- Daily elite level instruction from SPIRE Track & Field Throws Coach, Kibwé Johnson
- Performance Training
- Mental Skills Training
- Use of SPIRE Recharge and Adrenaline Monkey ninja course
- Daily lunch at SPIRE Fuel
- SPIRE Camp T-Shirt
- View More Details ⟩
Director of Track & Field Kibwé Johnson
The California native, Kibwé Johnson established himself as one of the nation’s best hammer throwers of all time by being ranked first or second for over a decade. In that time, he secured 5 US titles, 4 US runner-up, and numerous US national teams. He retired in 2017 after his last World Championship appearance.View Kibwé's Bio ⟩
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect a high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
SPIRE is committed to developing technically skilled track and field athletes who love to train and live to compete. This is accomplished via an intensive regimen of technical and tactical training, customized competition and long-term athletic performance development. Aside from training with our Track & Field coaches, work with our Performance Training Team to implement a training plan to help you increase your strength, speed, agility, and flexibility.
Take your training one step further with Mental Skills Training, part of this multi-week training camp experience. Our coaches will give you mental tools crucial for handling stress & anxiety, goal setting, visualization, and more.
- June 30-July 5
- July 7-12
- July 14-19
- July 28-August 2
- August 4-9
- June 30-July 5
- Age Group: 13-18 (High School)
- Gender: Co-ed
- Camp Type: Boarding, Day
- Meals: All meals are provided to Boarding. Day campers only receive lunch. Allergies and dietary restrictions can be accommodated.
- Check-in: (Boarding) 4:00 PM on first day of camp (Sunday)
- Check-out: (all campers) 12:00 PM on final day of camp
- Day Camper Schedule: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM (Monday-Thursday); 9:00 AM-12:00 PM (Friday)
- Location: TBD
- View the campus map here
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10
- Grouped by: age, ability, track & field experience
- Equipment needed: Campers should bring at least one pair of broken in running shoes. Event shoes/spikes are optional. Please be sure to properly mark your equipment, so that it can be easily identified.
- Facility: SPIRE Academy
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
- Dorm: TBD
- Campers Per Room: TBD
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Linens: Not provided
- Air Conditioning: TBD
- Key Deposit: We do not require a room key or meal card deposit. However, if you do not return your key or meal card on the last day of camp, you will be responsible for all replacement charges from the host facility. US Sports Camps will charge the camper credit card on file for all costs due.
Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEES:
- Boarding Campers:
- 3 meals/day
- Boarding in on-campus dorm
- Day Campers:
- Includes daily lunch
- Shot Put
- Hammer Throw
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING:
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Extra Athletic clothing
- 1-2 pairs of broken in running shoes/ event spikes
- Non-running shoes
- Water bottle
- Snack/Sport Drink
- Small gym bag/backpack
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
- Athletic clothing mentioned above
- Comfortable non-running clothing
- Underwear and socks
- Flip flops
- Personal items & medications
- Washcloth and bath towel
- Alarm clock
- Swimsuit and towel
- Pen and paper for notes during guest speakers
- Cell phone (if you have one)
- Fan (optional)
- Pillow, pillowcase, bed sheets, comforter or sleeping bag (linens are NOT provided)
- Laundry detergent
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
TRACK & FIELD CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our Track & Field camps please see our FAQ page.
SPIRE is home to one of the largest, most amazing indoor and outdoor track & field complexes in world. Its world class training programs are ideal for the serious athlete seeking an intense training environment to prepare for the next level of competition.
Camp Questions & Answers
Does this camp have medical personnel on staff?
We have a certified athletic training on-site and a doctor on-call at all times in case of a training injury or medical ailment/emergency.
Are the campers supervised throughout the camp?
Yes, campers are supervised by the coaches and staff. All staff members complete criminal and sex offender background checks before working the camp
Can I come to camp alone or do I have to be a member of a team?
We welcome individual campers and teams.
Does the Health & Release Form need to be signed by a doctor?
Our Health & Release Form does not require a doctor’s signature. This form is required to be filled out accurately, signed by the parent (guardian), and submitted online before arrival on the first day of camp.
My child is new to the sport, do you accept athletes who are beginners in the sport?
Camp participants should have an interest and some experience in track & field.
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.