Nike Volleyball Sports Academy at The Cate School
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Volleyball Camps
Nike Volleyball Camps is proud to bring you the Volleyball Academy at the Cate School again this summer. Campers will train with talented coaches on the beautiful campus in Carpinteria, California.
The Cate Sports Academy Volleyball Camp in Southern California prepares athletes for competition at the highest level. Experienced coaches provide individual instruction based on positions as well as focusing on the mental aspect of the game. We focus on basics first, ensuring fundamentals are sound, then build to specific skills and positions with daily scrimmages and games.
- 5-6 hours daily volleyball training, with 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- Daily Swimming
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Courtney Pehl
Courtney began playing volleyball at 11 years old at a local club organization. Her love for the game grew as she continued to play club and then joined her high school team. She then spent two years at Highland Community College playing in the NJCAA and then two years at Rockford College.View Courtney Pehl's Bio ⟩
At Rockford College, Courtney she was the conference leader for most aces/set and acted as her team captain.
Following her collegiate career, Courtney took over as a varsity head coach at Aquin High school where she lead the teams there to record-breaking program wins in a season. Along with coaching at a high school level, Courtney also ran youth camps during her time at Aquin.
During a brief intermission from high school, she took over a middle school program in her hometown of Freeport. Her most recent, and current, position is at Sabino High School in Tucson, AZ where she lead her team to a region title. Courtney coaches club volleyball for Zona Volleyball in Tucson as well as continuing to run youth programs.
In her free time she enjoys traveling, reading, and going to spin class.
This year we are offering Overnight and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camps for boys and girls, ages 11-17, of all ability levels. See "More Camp Details" for further information.
2018 CAMP DATES
- July 16-20
- July 23-27
All sessions are open to boys and girls, ages 11-17, of all abilities. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play.
2018 SESSION SCHEDULES
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
SESSION I: JULY 16-20 | SESSION II: JULY 23-27
- Overnight Camper Check-in: 9:00-9:30am on Monday.
- Day Camper Check-in: 10:00-10:30am on Monday.
- Check-out: 11:30am-12:00pm on Friday.
- Day Camper Schedule: Monday: 10:00am-5:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday: 9:00am-5:00pm, Friday: 9:00am-12:00pm
What's included in the fee?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Day campers: Lunch is provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $15 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
- Extra Activities: Cate Sports Academy offers an exciting opportunity for athletes looking to enhance their camp experience. Participating campers will be woken up a little earlier than their peers and will have a 90-minute strength and conditioning session on Tuesday - Friday with our EXOS Certified Trainers. This program was implemented with the Cate School athletes this past year and not only have they seen increased performance, but it has also drastically reduced the number of injuries during season across all sports. EXOS can be added on for an additional fee.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Indoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
- Dorm: Bothin and 25 House
- Campers Per Room: 1 per room, roommate requests will be placed in the room next door.
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared
- Linens: Campers may choose to rent linens for their dorm room for $30/week or to bring their own linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: No
AIRPORT PICK UP PRICES:
- Round Trip from LAX: $250
- Round Trip from SBA: $100
- Airbus pick up in Carpinteria, Round Trip: $25
If you are flying to Southern California, we suggest flying to the Santa Barbara airport (SBA) or the Los Angeles airport (LAX). SBA is a 30 minute drive and LAX is a two hour drive from Cate. We pick up and drop off campers from the Santa Barbara airport for a fee of $100 ($50 one way) and from LAX in Los Angeles for a fee of $250 ($125 one way). If your child is flying as an unaccompanied minor, please notify Jessica Seriano (email@example.com).
Driver Pick Up times:
- LAX – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 10am
- SBA – Flights arriving Monday between 8am and 12pm
Driver Drop Off times:
- LAX – Flights departing Friday between 2pm – 4pm
- SBA – Flights departing Friday between 12pm – 2pm
For those taking the Santa Barbara Airbus (www.sbairbus.com) from LAX to Carpinteria, we pick up and drop off campers in Carpinteria for a fee of $25 ($12.50 one way). Once you have arranged your travel, please let Jessica Seriano (Jessica_seriano@cate.org) know.
Anyone needing assistance with booking travel, we recommend contacting SB Travel for assistance. Cate School has worked closely with Santa Barbara Travel Bureau for many years, and they will be able to help arrange travel for students attending Cate Summer Institute. A ticketing fee of $40 per ticket covers researching the best times and fares and monitoring any subsequent flight schedule changes. Please contact Andrew Seligman at (800)266-5452, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00-8:30am EXOS Strength and Condition Training (additional service, not included in camp tuition)
- 8:00-8:45am Breakfast
- 8:45-9:00am Day campers arrive
- 9:00-9:30am Roll call/Warm up
- 9:30-12:30pm Training session #1
- 12:30-1:30pm Lunch and rest
- 1:30-4:00pm Training session #2
- 4:00-5:00pm Swimming
- 5:00-5:30pm Day campers check-out
- 5:30-6:30pm Dinner
- 6:30-7:00pm Free Time
- 7:00-9:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights out
This top Southern California sports camp is held at the Cate School, located in beautiful Carpinteria, just south of Santa Barbara.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Loved the size of camp!
August 21, 2017: My daughter loved the small size of the camp and felt like she was able to connect with other campers on a deeper level than she had before while attending larger camps.
— Jill G. Parent
She loved making new friends
August 2, 2017: My daughter loved the small size of her training group and felt like she was able to connect with other campers on a deeper level and have fun!
— Jill C. Parent
Learned a lot!
August 1, 2017: "The knowledge I've learned here is something that High School JV level won't even bother to teach or even mention to their players."
— Ethan G. Camper
Gained valuable experience
August 1, 2017: The knowledge I've learned here is something that is going to help take my game to the next level on my high school team!
— Ethan G. Camper